1.    #1  
    Hey gang,

I use Linux exclusively and thus far everything works great with my Treo 650. I can bluetooth sync, DUN, etc, etc, etc..

However, a lot of the cool apps out there (anything from SplashData, for example) comes bundled as a setup.exe.. Some of these are actually zip files so I can occasionally get the .PRC file out of them, but most of the time they are not. I can't use Wine or Crossover as the setup.exe usually looks for HotSync to be installed as well (which I don't use, I use jpilot under linux)

How are you doing it?

Thanks

Right on Everlast!

I am a Mac user by night and now a Linux user by day. I would be interested in hearing how/what/how to get my Treo to sync with both my Apple PB and my Dell Presion 670 running Fedore Core 4 (FC4) ;-). I will make this system dual boot with XP Pro for the Office products etc so I may be sync'ng with 3 different OS's. Oh, did I mention the work laptop ... phew ... but seriously, can you send me your How-To list for getting my Treo to sync with Linux and what applications you use for AddressBook, Calendar etc ... I am currently using Evolution for all that now so any advise with this app is appreciated or if you could recommend your favorites for PIM tasks, that would kewl. TIA

MM
    Cingular Treo 650 (Unlocked?!?)
    Firmware 01.51 Software Treo650-1.17-CNG H/W A
    Treo Wireless Headset - Apple Ti15 OSX 10.3.9
    Palm VII -> Motorola StarTAC -> Treo 600
  3.    #3  
    unfortunately I dont have a quick howto on it, I had to read a couple diff articles to get it goin. Do a forum search for 'linux' and the first couple results should have what you need... I just use JPilot to hotsync, but i do use evolution, been meaning to start syncing directly with it.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by everlast
    However, a lot of the cool apps out there (anything from SplashData, for example) comes bundled as a setup.exe.. Some of these are actually zip files so I can occasionally get the .PRC file out of them, but most of the time they are not. I can't use Wine or Crossover as the setup.exe usually looks for HotSync to be installed as well (which I don't use, I use jpilot under linux)
    Sometimes cabextract (http://www.kyz.uklinux.net/cabextract.php) helps. Have you tried installing the Palm Desktop under Wine? Not sure it will work but it might be worth a try....
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    Rock-on dude. July 04, 2005 I went zero-Microsoft at my household. I've not setup my Treo yet, but will. Went with Ubuntu 5.04 (Hoary Hedgehog) on two desktops and 1 laptop.

Also, sometimes you can call a setup.exe with command-line switches to extract the contents to a location without running setup. Perhaps using WINE and invoking the setup package with such command-line switches can help?

Try setup.exe /? to see what's available.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sfmanuel
    can you send me your How-To list for getting my Treo to sync with Linux and what applications you use for AddressBook, Calendar etc ... I am currently using Evolution for all that now so any advise with this app is appreciated or if you could recommend your favorites for PIM tasks, that would kewl.
    If you're running GNOME, the best way to sync with Evolution is with gnome-pilot (gpilot). There's a panel applet called "Pilot Applet" that controls everything.
    Palm Vx -> Kyocera 6035 -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p
    What I do for things like this (including Docs to Go I think) is I fire up vmware that I use on occation for Photoshop/Neat Image, then run the installer and copy the files it plops into the Hotsync directory over and hotsync them myself. Still uses Windows though, not sure of another way one could do this offhand, but it might be workable.

Bochs might be able to do the same.. And it's free.. Just install the desktop software into it and hopefully the palm software installer will see it and plop files in the right place.

On the other topic here, I myself stick with jpilot and jpilot-sync over bluetooth.. I wrote a script that loops jpilot-sync and depending on the last time I synced, it'll sync AvantGo and/or run a backup sync. I need to update it sometime so I can plop files into a directory and have it install them rather than having to kill the script, jpilot-xfer, then restart it.
    Isn't cabextract the only way to rip windows executables into files??

I'll prolly try to setup some syncage with my Ubuntu desktop (Ubuntu's progressing quite nicely esp. considering it's only had 2 official releases).

It appears that jpilot is the most used...will have to hit up the search engines at Google & TC when I get a chance this weekend.