Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I'm currently a Snappermail user, and while I like the program, it's annoying that it has to check periodically for new mail. Chatter looks to be the program to go with for true push email, but none of my email accounts supports push. Is there a free email solution that will allow me to forward my current email accounts so I can receive them as soon as they arrive?

I did a search but didn't find much about this. Thanks.
    fastmail.fm will do this, but there are limitations on their free service.

Marc
    www.fastmail.fm

Set up a free account. Forward your mail to your fastmail account. Configure Chatters settings for fastmail.

You can set up SMTP profiles so you can send with your other accounts.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    Excellent! Thanks. I'll be trying Chatter in the next couple of days
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I got this set up and I must say that push mail is wonderful! I'll definitely be purchasing Chatter as my new email client

iPhone 3G ..:.. Jailbroken 16GB Black
    AT&T 8925 Tilt ..:.. WM 6.1 ..:.. SIM/CID unlocked
    BlackBerry 8830 ..:.. Work phone
    Quote Originally Posted by URPREY
    I'm currently a Snappermail user, and while I like the program, it's annoying that it has to check periodically for new mail. Chatter looks to be the program to go with for true push email, but none of my email accounts supports push. Is there a free email solution that will allow me to forward my current email accounts so I can receive them as soon as they arrive?

I did a search but didn't find much about this. Thanks.
    AIM accounts are IMAP, but apparently don't work yet with Chatter. The developer is working on this, so in the future this may be a good solution.

-Sketchy
    AIM, as opposed to AOL?

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    AIM, as opposed to AOL?

Marc
    Yes, AIM has a 2GB IMAP account available for free:

http://r02.webmail.aol.com/Help/deta...lprograms.aspx

It has some limitations that are outlined on that page, but it seems to be a good free alternative.

Does this server have the same problem as the AOL server?

-Sketchy
    Marc, do you have instructions you can foreward for for AOL email set up for Chattermail so it is true push email?

thanks so much worldfilm@aol.com

if anyone has this set-up (AOL for Chattermail please send)
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    When I use Versamail I do not get calls during downloads of new mail.
    Does anyone know which email program allows for incoming calls to come through
    and stop the download?
    thanks!
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    I dont think that is possible with CDMA. I could be wrong though.
    deanfx is correct; it's not possible with CDMA.

Marc
    Chatter is true push mail? News to me. I thought it just automatically went on line and downloaded mail exactly like Snapper does depending on how often you set it to do that. I almost tried Chatter (currently use Snapper) but I read a lot of complaints about people not being able get phone calls because it was constantly connecting to the data network to connect to mail. Since data connection ties up the phone and the phone line ties up data, how do you get true push mail with a Treo?
    MagsD -

It may be news to you, but it's not news to THOUSANDS of registered users who do get TRUE push (not triggered or timed) all the time. So it's not true that Chatter connects "all the time" (if the signal's good, a single connection often lasts for many hours), and therefore it's not true that phone calls are all blocked. Indeed, Chatter is the ONLY direct-to-server push service available for the Treo, and therefore the only push service that doesn't come with monthly fees.

It IS true that CDMA phones are more likely to get missed calls than GSM phones (on which missed calls are rare), because of the underlying technology. My estimate is that maybe 5-15% of calls go to voice mail on CMDA phones, vs 2-5% on GSM phones (though obviously, individual usage can be all over the map).

Not only that, but there are MANY ways of reducing data usage (and therefore missed calls) even when using true push on CDMA phones.

Sounds like you've got some catching up to do!

Marc
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    Chatter works awesome with my free AIM account. AIM has a nice Webmail interface to boot. Sent a test message and my Treo beeped in about 3 seconds.
    Global Posts
    243 Global Posts
    I had no idea AIM offered this. I may end up using that instead. Thanks!
    when you forward your email to fastmail... does it lose who the message was originally from and come from your original account? Doesn't that make it hard to hit reply... i mean you don't want it to reply to yourself...
    Quote Originally Posted by vettenorlando
    when you forward your email to fastmail... does it lose who the message was originally from and come from your original account? Doesn't that make it hard to hit reply... i mean you don't want it to reply to yourself...
    No. The original information shows up. You're merely forwarding a message, as opposed to sending a new one. As far as replies, I have a gmail SMTP profile setup for my fastmail box (within Chatter), so it is sent over gmails server.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Quote Originally Posted by vettenorlando
    That's not the way server-based mail forwarding works. When a mail server forwards mail, the original sender is maintained. Only when YOU forward mail using your e-mail client do you become the new sender.

If you have your e-mail automatically forwarded to a Fastmail account, you can then set up ChatterEmail to still use your original ISP's SMTP e-mail server to send mail. That way, no one will know the difference. You'll receive your mail into the Fastmail account and do all your sending with your original e-mail provider.

ChatterEmail has the ability to set up SMTP profiles, so you can set up any personality you want. Also Fastmail can do the same thing with its web interface.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    No. The original information shows up. You're merely forwarding a message, as opposed to sending a new one. As far as replies, I have a gmail SMTP profile setup for my fastmail box (within Chatter), so it is sent over gmails server.
    Thats interesting... how does it retain the original "FROM" because when you forward it to FASTMAIL your mail account now becomes the "FROM" doesn't it? and if you get it on your treo and hit reply you would be replying to the person in the "FROM"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast