Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Anyone tried this yet? I read about it in a recent computer magazine.

Using your Text Messaging function, enter the number "46645"

In the body of your message, enter something like: "Dry cleaners 94104" or whatever else you want to look up for a directory search. (Note: substitute the 94104 number for whatever zip code location you're in)

Then press Send.

A few moments later, you will receive a Text Message reply of various search results for the zip code requested.

I've tried this, but I also end up getting results that are outside of the zip code requested, so this is obviously not a perfect search tool. But still, it seems pretty convenient to use, and may be a supplement to using Directory Assistant.

I think the above feature will probably work for any cell phone with text messaging, not just for Treos.
    Its great. I used it to find a Mexican restaurant recently when I was out of town. . . Great thing is, it had the phone number right there and I could just click on it to call the restaurant and ask directions. The food was great, by the way.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    I use it all the time...great service. Many more options available too.
    Check out google.com/sms/
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Been using it for about a year now. Great tool.
    Does this incur any charges outside of the fees for text messages? If not then ultimately, this would be a cheaper alternative to the use of 411 correct?

Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    No fees other than the text messages. I am using this in place of DA in most instances also.

Btw nice sig
    Try Yahoo as well

Text 92466 (YAHOO)

Same sort of thing, but I use Google more than Yahoo.
    Google SMS works great - if data usage is not an issue for you, I highly recommend Directory Assistant http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...tory_Assistant
  9. rio
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    don't we have this in Australia????

Too far down under!!!

rio
    rio
    Brisbane Australia
    I did look at Aus site. www.google.com.au/sms but it still point back to the US site....

About as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike!!
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    Try Yahoo as well

Text 92466 (YAHOO)

Same sort of thing, but I use Google more than Yahoo.
    Thanks for mentioning Yahoo. I tried this also, and the search results come back a little differently than Google, so it may be a good idea to try both when trying to find something.

Also, the Yahoo results come back as a separate text message for each item. For example, if there are 3 different listings found, you will get a separate message for each...I'm not sure if this is better or worse. Whereas Google will simply attach all the results within the same message.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Actually, Google will send you up to three messages depending on the number of results.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook
    I use it all the time...great service. Many more options available too.
    Check out google.com/sms/
    Wow, thanks for this link. Yes, Google offers other cool SMS services. I also checked out their directions, and this works pretty well.

I tried doing directions using the Yahoo SMS service, but unfortunately this doesn't work with Yahoo.

Now I feel like upgrading my text messaging service, since I only get 100 per month allotment from Sprint.
    This is sooo cool! What a great 'tip'. I passed it along.
    odd, googles didnt work for me on Cingular, but Yahoo's did....
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenCode
    Does this incur any charges outside of the fees for text messages? If not then ultimately, this would be a cheaper alternative to the use of 411 correct?
    so, people really do use 411, still?

between "directory assistant" & google, i haven't used 411 in 3 or 4 years.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by deanfx
    No fees other than the text messages. I am using this in place of DA in most instances also.

Btw nice sig
    I am addicted to DA. What will the Google SMS do that DA doesn't do?
    Google SMS gives more than just Directory information, it gives a subset of Google; movie times, weather, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by dheymann
    I am addicted to DA. What will the Google SMS do that DA doesn't do?
    the only real thing i use google sms for, in the DA realm is category searching.
    for example, if i'm not sure a particular "pub" i want to go to, google sms will let me search for "pubs". if i know that i want to go to the "dirty glass pub", then i spefically look that up in DA.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    odd, googles didnt work for me on Cingular, but Yahoo's did....

same here no response from google on cingular, I haven't tried yahoo.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast