Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1.    #1  
    i am having the strangest problem with my PC. suddenly today all my .prc (palm) programs have a different icon. they now have a wrap around green icon on them and when i click to open them they say "access denied." this never happened before. I am logged on as the computer adminstrator in windows XP. i have no hidden files. this started when i tried to download a trial of a palm program from handango. when i tried to open the file so i could hotsync it, i saw that the file looked different...it had that green arrow wrapped around it. it said "access denied" when i clicked on it. then i checked my other palm files (i always keep backups of whatever i downloaded onto my treo 650). so this is really strange. do i need to enable or disable something somewhere? this is too strange...
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  2. #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by southbound747
    i am having the strangest problem with my PC. suddenly today all my .prc (palm) programs have a different icon. they now have a wrap around green icon on them and when i click to open them they say "access denied." this never happened before. I am logged on as the computer adminstrator in windows XP. i have no hidden files. this started when i tried to download a trial of a palm program from handango. when i tried to open the file so i could hotsync it, i saw that the file looked different...it had that green arrow wrapped around it. it said "access denied" when i clicked on it. then i checked my other palm files (i always keep backups of whatever i downloaded onto my treo 650). so this is really strange. do i need to enable or disable something somewhere? this is too strange...
    You are kidding, right? This is a joke. Your system is not contaminated.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    You are kidding, right? This is a joke. Your system is not contaminated.
    i am not kidding at all. i need help. you have made me a little more nervous. has this happened to anybody before? maybe i need to change some setting?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  4.    #4  
    i did a full virus scan and then made sure to check for spyware with 2 separate programs. this is too strange. i am ready to delete all palm software and maybe recover the entire PC. i have never heard of something like this....
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  5. #5  
    This happened to me to. To fix this, right-click the .prc file, select "Open With" and select "Choose Program". Then choose something like "Notepad" and check the box to set it as default. Click OK so that you're back where you started. Then, do this whole process over again, this time selecting the Palm Quick Install program, and set that as the default. This should fix it. Let me know if it works!
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyeguy
    This happened to me to. To fix this, right-click the .prc file, select "Open With" and select "Choose Program". Then choose something like "Notepad" and check the box to set it as default. Click OK so that you're back where you started. Then, do this whole process over again, this time selecting the Palm Quick Install program, and set that as the default. This should fix it. Let me know if it works!
    Whew!!!
  7. NRG
    NRG is offline
    NRG's Avatar
    Posts
    3,657 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    #7  
    nOOb comin' through in the pinch. Good job tyeguy!
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by tyeguy
    This happened to me to. To fix this, right-click the .prc file, select "Open With" and select "Choose Program". Then choose something like "Notepad" and check the box to set it as default. Click OK so that you're back where you started. Then, do this whole process over again, this time selecting the Palm Quick Install program, and set that as the default. This should fix it. Let me know if it works!

    Thanks. i wished i had heard this idea earlier. i kinda freaked out when this happened and assumed the worst that somehow my system was infected with some kind of spyware or something. I did all kinds of virus and spyware scans and couldn't find anything that helped. so finally i recovered my whole sysem and installed all the programs again. the problem went away. i guess some file had gotten corrupted or something. Really freaky. thanks again.

    Do you have any idea how the problem got caused for you? was it a corrupted file?
    Sprint Treo 700p, Sony UX/TX, u720,
    Edirol R-09, Mitsu PK 20, Mimio
  9. #9  
    Thanks Tyeguy. Good call. I had the same problem and your ideal fixed it. FWIW, I think pinstall program caused the problem.

Posting Permissions