Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    My Palm Wireless Keyboard worked fine (with some help from people on this discussion board) on my Treo 180g. It doesn't seem to work at all on my new Treo 650. I downloaded and installed the driver from the Palm web site but it never detects the wireless keyboard. Any ideas?
    Is your 'Beam Recieve' set to on in Preferences->Power ?
    Did you delete any other drivers before you installed the new one's? Is the phone Sprint?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Yes the beam receive is on. No I didn't delete the old driver before installing the new one however before the Keyboard application had IR Config on the drop down in the upper right whereas now it has Wireless which is how it worked on my Treo 180g. Does anyone have the non-universal Palm Wireless Keyboard working on their Treo 650?
    The non-universal wireless keyboard I had for my Tungsten C works just fine with the Treo 650. I got whatever the latest driver was from the Palm Tungsten support site, sync'd it onto the Treo, and it worked. I did have to put a new battery in but that was because I had not used the keyboard in several weeks and it needed to be replaced. When the driver was originally installed, it defaulted to a connected keyboard configuration and I had to change that to a wireless one. I know it's not much help but it does work....
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Most of the problems are with Treo 650 Sprintpcs 1.12. I found a hardware solution, but it sounds like you found a software solution. Please let us know your Treo's brand and update. Plus the link to the driver.

Thanks
    I have to admit I spoke too quickly. It seemed to work well that was only duirng a brief test. As I now have an opportunity to try it out for an more extended period, there are problems - some keys will not register unless pressed multiple times and even then not always. Not the keyboard as I tried it again with the TC and no problems at all. Sorry for the misinformation. You mentioned a hardware solution???
    If you have intermittant problems it might be a bad IR connection or low batteries. I have the ThinkOutside IR keyboard and it works great with the 650. ThinkOutside makes the Palm keyboard. I use the latest drivers on ThinkOutside's website which are probably the same as the Palm ones.
    Who is your carrier? I use Sprint and my understanding from reading thru this and other forums is that there may be something about the latest Sprint version update which interferes with the keyboard. I tried the latest driver from ThinkOutside and the same basic problem is there - just with a few different keys. The Palm and the ThinkOutside keyboard certainly look the same.
    Earthlink firmware 1.08.
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    This is a simple hardware fix. But you will lose some function in the keys.

I use a bent paperclip to hold down the TAB key.

An old post:

The problem is that the IR port thinks the keyboard is done using the port.

Simple fix:
    Make the Treo think the keyboard is always on. Solution. Keep one key pressed all the time. I simply push down the tab key and used a screw to make sure it does not pop up. I screwed the screw between the Tab key and the edge of the keyboard. Put tape over the screw. The TAB key stays pushed down 24/7.

What do you lose?
    Use of numbers one thru six.

Sometimes my keyboard will not hear my treo. I turn off the keyboard by sliding the TREO holder over to the left then back to the center.

What is now needed?
    A better way to hold down keys. Or is there a better key to keep held down all day long.

I am loving it. I finally can use my keyboard without calling it names.

Mike

-----
    You have to do the same fix for the Thinkoutside IR keyboard but you only lose the TAB key function. It is a better built keyboard.

Mike
    I tried keeping the Tab key pushed down.... ended up with lots and lots of tab spaces inserted into the document..... This is driving me crazy! I really don't want to buy a BT keyboard - I need the ability to use the keyboard on planes when traveling and I understand you can't/shouldn't use BT on a plane?
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    Two things
    1. make sure the key can't lift up.
    2. Play with the repeat key setting.

Also, the BT keyboard burns the battery bad.

Try Thinkoutside's IR keyboard. $44 at Amazon. But you have to do the hold down TAB thing. I wrote this email using my Thinkoutside on myTreo with the tab key held down with a bent paperclip. (no missing letters)

Mike
    Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    With the Palm ir keyboard I did get the repeating tab key every once in a while. With the Thinkoutside IR, I never get the repeating tab key.

Mike
    Thanks for the advice. I'll give the Thinkoutside keyboard a shot. I am also speaking with the folks at Sprint (Palm shunted me over to them -"It's a Sprint problem!! Not ours!"). I don't expect immediate results (if any) but at least the tech guys at Sprint are interested (or are pretending to be...).