Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just bought explorer and I should have purchased just the backup as I figured it was just $5 more but I only really wanted automated backups.

Oh well guess i got to waste another $10
    I don't know if this will work with Resco Explorer backups but it supposedly does with the freeware Vfsbackup. Use Crony to schedule periodic events. Make sure to read the the topmost review as to how to make it work under POS 5

http://www.freewarepalm.com/clock/crony.shtml
    Just wanted to add Resco Explorer also restores Notepad and Voicememo from the Lifedrive installed on a 650. Just wished it also restored Media files.
  4.    #24  
    The only issue one might have with Resco Backup is the report by wcarlson40 that it does not restore the Java VM. Has anyone else run into this?
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Okay, after much testing, here's what I've found:

Resco Explorer CAN restore the Java VM files

Resco Backup (the standalone app) CANNOT restore Java VM

What's up with this? I want the automation and features of Resco Backup, but the reliability of Resco Explorer!!!
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    Okay, after much testing, here's what I've found:

Resco Explorer CAN restore the Java VM files

Resco Backup (the standalone app) CANNOT restore Java VM

What's up with this? I want the automation and features of Resco Backup, but the reliability of Resco Explorer!!!
    I'd suggest you contact Resco and let them know. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they just overlooked this.
    Shneor
    Actually, I just sent them an email. Hopefully they can add this functionality to Resco Backup.
    I think i am buying the whole resco shooting match.

Explorer, backup, and photo viewer.

Then i hope to be done buying software for my 650. Jeeze, after this next order, I will have spent 2/3rds of what it cost me to get the phone on software for the phone.

ACK!
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    What parts of the Explorer can be installed (officially, not using a 3rd party launcher) on the SD card?

How much RAM does it occupy when installed in RAm vs on card?

The RAM freed-up by the Cingular update is dissappearing rapidly :-( as I add more apps..
    Here is the response from tech support. It still doesn't tell me if the Explorer has been written to natively support installation on SD card without the use of launchers like Powerrun..

===
    "installation on the card is possible. The only potential caveat I know is
    when the Explorer is installed without a shortcut and you use it to
    "preview" (e.g.) txt/zip attachments from an e-mail program. Then there
    might be a crash due to a Palm OS error.

There might be also decreased functionality in launching other apps, but I
    can't remember the exact case. (The Explorer might not be restarted after
    the launched app terminates.) But I could not get this behavior, so maybe I
    am wrong. (It used to be so in the older days.)

RAM consumption: Explorer takes roughly the prc size. (Plus small icon
    cache, that is not permanent anyway.) You can double-check it in tha
    categories tree, where all DBs are listed under respective application."
    ===
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor
    I'd suggest you contact Resco and let them know. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they just overlooked this.
    Does anyone else want to email them? It's been 3 days and no response..........
    Resco Backup 1.21.4 has finally been updated/released! The only automated backup program out there that will restore the Java VM files!

http://www.resco.net/palm/backup/history.asp
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    Resco Backup 1.21.4 has finally been updated/released! The only automated backup program out there that will restore the Java VM files!

http://www.resco.net/palm/backup/history.asp
    Nice to see a responsive vendor!!
    Shneor
    (1) Here's an interesting question for the brain trust here at TC: Using Resco Explorer's file management system, can you open up a Documents to Go (DTG) file--either DTG or native Micirosoft format (via SD card), much like you could from a desktop/notebook computer? (click on file, automatically opens/starts application program)

The reason I ask: If I want to access a certain file, I would like to open it up without having DTG do a search for it and use up all that processing power, with the possibility of having my T650 reset and screw eveything up!

(2) Oh, and what about Reso's explorer's built in photo viewer's ability top access third-party photo programs like Splash Photo and Palm's built-in photo app? What's that process like?
    On (1), I can right click (or tap-n-hold) on a XLS file and select Open, and DTG opens it in Excel-to-go. Just like you wanted.

on (2), If I do the same to a JPG file and select "open with" in the context menu, I can select the application that opens the file, including DTG or Media. Again, just like you wanted.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12