Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi is any body knows or have or could recommend better GPS for treo 650 or TomTom is the best?
    Thank you very much!
    I have bad ToM Tom 5 for about 2 weeks now, It would be really hard to find a better unit, IMHO. I have tried mapopolis, with my old treo 600, and then with the 650, night and day difference in how smooth, and fast it is. Tom Tom 5 works faster, and smoother then the stock navi systems in many cars
  3.    #3  
    I dont know i had tryed the TomTom and i find out what it is not pointing all gass stations or rest areas on main highways it is just does not show it. Is this true that the maps what comes with TomTom 5 BT is from 2003?
    The roads are correct, but the point of interest is lacking. I went to Cape Cod in Boston over the weekend. The ferry location it gave was wrong. The two real ferry stations were not on the map.

But if I put in the address with "street A" crossing "street B" info, it gives very accurate location.
    Assuming that your asking about Navigation software and not just GPS hardware units, the TomTom 5 Navigator is the best IMO. But, it may depend on your navigation needs, etc. There are other options like Mapopolis that people have opined about as well. Use the search feature and you will find a number of opinions, but TomTom 5 is the best IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Assuming that your asking about Navigation software and not just GPS hardware units, the TomTom 5 Navigator is the best IMO. But, it may depend on your navigation needs, etc. There are other options like Mapopolis that people have opined about as well. Use the search feature and you will find a number of opinions, but TomTom 5 is the best IMO.

TomTom is best of ... Wich ones did you compare it to? I would like a comparison with Digimap.
    I thought Digimap just provides the data that can be used by navigation software. Do they also provide the nav software itself? If so can you give a link to info on their system that would work on Palm OS?
    I would agree that the POI in tom tom is lacking, but the road coverage and 3D navigation is superb.

Directory assistant is a great POI finder
    car_designer
    Visor Deluxe-->Treo 600-->650 cameraless-->700P-->755P cameraless conversion -->Treo 800W + Celio Redfly all on Sprint
    Parrot ck-3300 handsfree + BT GPS
    The only problem I have is that TomTom keeps trying to get me to go down a one way next to an Interstate to get to my office and down alleys to get to my house. It makes me wonder what will happen when I am in a city I am not familiar with. It will recalculate if I don't go down the road it wants me to, so I can get where I want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Willem
    TomTom is best of ... Wich ones did you compare it to? I would like a comparison with Digimap.
    I believe Digi-Map is a Europe only program, so I didn't try it. I compared TomTom to Mapopolis as they were the only ones I have noticed with the major features and I prefer TomTom since it has 3D map generation, an easy user interface, and good voice prompts. They also just went public, so I expect TomTom to have the capital to improve the product even further to stay ahead of the game.
    For $150 you get the bluetooth GPS with Street Atlas 2006 handheld. I paid more for the package that came with Topo 5 DVD. I've been running it with a Zodiac and been impressed. I will load it on the Treo when my memory card arrives. Street Atlas allows you to run all the maps from the memory card which is good because they can be huge.

One neat thing about the BlueLogger GPS vs. others is it runs alone. You can set it to log your path and throw it in your pocket and take a walk. Then you come back to your PC and download the file.

Danny
    I thought Digimap just provides the data that can be used by navigation software. Do they also provide the nav software itself? If so can you give a link to info on their system that would work on Palm OS?
    I'd warn anyone off the digimap software. It's absolute rubbish and the people who run the support system appear to be lunatics!

The routes it works out are insane. A typical example is when I ask it to work out a route from my work in Glasgow to my home about 8 miles west of Edinburgh. A journey of 37 miles in an easterly direction along a major motorway. The motorway is 300yds from my work. The route to the on-ramp about 3/4 mile. My home is about 5 miles from the motorway exit. YET digimap wants to add 20 miles to my journey by routing me 10 miles WEST of Glasgow to joint the motorway! AND a further 10 miles by keeping me on the motorway 'till I'm almost in Edinburgh itself then directing me back west!

And yes the preferences are properly set, the maps do 'know' about the motorway exits and my position is shown accurately on the map etc.....

Actually setting a destination is a nightmare!

The UK (for instance) is covered by several 'maps'. When you set up a destination you have to ensure (through a series of cryptic and illogical menus) you have the 'right' map loaded; even if you tell it the town you want! So for instance finding London if you're working with the Edinburgh map loaded doesn't work!

I didn't discover this through the (electronic) user manual, which itself is written in very poor English, but by trial and error.

You have to manually switch to the main UK map! Mine has more or less stopped working after a year. It can't find major street names in major cities! I get this pidgen-english message about updating my software.

To make matters worse I can't get logged onto the support site with the log-in details provided by them! They IGNORED about 15 emails until this morning. When I got a message from them with a faked email they claim was from me attached to it accusing them of being Nazis and telling me they'd locked me out until I apologised!

Clearly these people have problems!
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster
    For $150 you get the bluetooth GPS with Street Atlas 2006 handheld. I paid more for the package that came with Topo 5 DVD. I've been running it with a Zodiac and been impressed. I will load it on the Treo when my memory card arrives. Street Atlas allows you to run all the maps from the memory card which is good because they can be huge.

One neat thing about the BlueLogger GPS vs. others is it runs alone. You can set it to log your path and throw it in your pocket and take a walk. Then you come back to your PC and download the file.

Danny
    I don't like the software from Delorme unless they made a drastic change from 2005. It is difficult to create routes on the fly. They say they made the route create engine much faster in the 2006 version, but it would have to be extremely faster for me to go back. Trying to create a route on the handheld would take sometimes close to an hour for it to render. I was in Corpus Christi this summer and tried to simply create a route from where we were staying to a Harley dealer. After 45 minutes of waiting for it to calculate the route, I stopped it. We found out the dealer was only about 20 miles from where we were. Delorme acknowledged there was a problem, but that is it. The map view and directions were not near as good as they are in TomTom. I did like the fact that Street Atlas gave the street name when calling out directions, but it would also call out every little curve in road as well making it very distracting.

It was also very difficult to put an entire state on a card. There were several steps to go through to get more than just a region you were looking at. I may have been doing something wrong, but I read and searched quite some time to find out how to put a state. I had all of Texas selected and it was around 700mb if I had put it on my card.

On a positive, the Blue Logger is great with TomTom5. Connects quickly and have not had a single problem with pairing or re-pairing. I do like the logging feature that is built in. Right now it is used for grins, but may come in handy in a couple of years with our teenagers starting to drive.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 08/12/2005 at 08:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Disaster

Danny
    Hey where exactly did you buy that GPS system, because i am looking for a GPS system for my Treo 650, and i want a good one. Do you think it is just as good as the Tom Tom 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by wdbutcher
    I have bad ToM Tom 5 for about 2 weeks now, It would be really hard to find a better unit, IMHO. I have tried mapopolis, with my old treo 600, and then with the 650, night and day difference in how smooth, and fast it is. Tom Tom 5 works faster, and smoother then the stock navi systems in many cars
    I use a SolarGPS purchased from Semsons. It came with no software. I then tried both Mapopolis and TomTom 5. I liked the display and Mapquality of Mapopolis better. However it had a real problem... The voice quality of the directions was terribly distorted and always at maximum volume. The only solution was to route all audio from the audio out of the Treo to a car's radio. Not easy in my car. The sound distorsion was to much for me.

Mapopolis has no plans to add sound volume control to the software.

Other than this problem (and the dependancy on using the stylus) I returned the product.

btw: I chose the Tripcard version. It fit on a supplied SD card and was very easy to use.

I was left with TomTom. I got a 2gig SD card and installed all of the maps on it. TomTOm works with the SolarGPS and I am very happy. My only complaint is the Compass display and the fact that in trip mode, TomTom always orients the top of the map in the direction of travel. I would prefer Up to be North. The maps also are not as accurate as the navtec maps used by Mapopolis or Garmin.

In January Garmin introduced a version of their GPS 10 bluetooth receiver for the Palm and the Treo 650. It includes a new version of the que software for navigation.

I have not seen any reviews of this package.

It is not known if the software will work with non Garmin GPS receivers.

It is not known how the software will be configured.

However, I have owned a Garmin iQue 3600 and really liked it's interface and found the "trip computer" display to be very easy to use and useful. Routing was excellent.

The only historic issues with the iQue 3600 was that it had poor battery life and it was ackward to load maps using Hotsync with an add-in to the Palm Desktop (there is a work around).

In summary, I use TomTom with the SolarGPS bluetooth and I am very happy. I hope the que software for the Palm 5 OS will work well. It very well be my replacement for TomTom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manofs
    Hey where exactly did you buy that GPS system, because i am looking for a GPS system for my Treo 650, and i want a good one. Do you think it is just as good as the Tom Tom 5.
    Check this page out.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=20

Here's what I am using http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=188

Go to Treo Central reviews Page under Kits and see a review of the 2350 and 4850 models.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackNaylorPE
    Check this page out.

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...n=Custom&ID=20

Here's what I am using http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=188

Go to Treo Central reviews Page under Kits and see a review of the 2350 and 4850 models.
    I've been thinking of getting the G2350 but like the idea of portability. How difficult is it take the cradle off of the mounting clip? This would at least make it somewhat portable.
    JackNaylorPE, just curious why you chose the 2350 over the 4850? Is the built in speaker in the Treo good enough to hear? It is my understanding that is the only difference between the 2350 and 4850?

Drewman, the Treo needs to be in the docking cradle as the gps receiver is built into the cradle. You could in theory for portability, use the device but it needs 12V DC to operate. I guess you could always carry around one of those 30lb. jumppacks that they use to jumpstart cars
    It's quite clear in the TC reviews

"When I reviewed the Seidio G4850 Car Kit, the only issue I had with it was that you could not use a Bluetooth headset with a GSM Treo 650 that was in the cradle. Seidio has since released the G2350S GPS Car Kit that removes the cradle's internal speaker, making Bluetooth conversations available again. Does the loss of the speaker mean a loss of usability? Thankfully no.

When I got the G2350S, I was concerned about voice commands since it would be using the Treo's speaker. I am happy to report that voice commands were surprisingly clear and I could still hear them over my radio's volume as long as I wasn't listening to something like "Highway to Hell" (since you have to crank up the car stereo for that song). You can adjust the volume in Tom Tom Navigator by tapping in the bottom-left of the screen. This also repeats the last voice command. "

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/725-1.htm

In short, the 4850's speaker somewhat cripples BT headsets on GSM phones. After using the 2350, the cradle speaker seems redundant.
    Quote Originally Posted by drewman
    I've been thinking of getting the G2350 but like the idea of portability. How difficult is it take the cradle off of the mounting clip? This would at least make it somewhat portable.
    It slides right off. All of the mounts provided by Seidio attach to a "locking plate" that looks like the flat part of the vent mount here:

http://www.seidioonline.com/index.as...PROD&ProdID=83

One locking plate comes with the 2350 kit along with vent, swivel and windshield mounts. The cradle slides onto the locking plate and you just unplug the ciggie lighter charger, grab the cradle, lift and walk away. Just like taking your Treo out of a charging cradle except I can emove the seidio cradle one handed.

If you gonna go the vehicle specific Proclip mount route (recommended) and use it in more than one vehicle, make sure to spring for the extra $1.00 and get a 2nd locking plate for the 2nd car.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast