Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    On my old 600, I used Key Contacts, mostly for the ability to store multiple physical addresses for a single contact. On my new 650, the built-in app does that natively, so I've stopped using Key Contacts.

But now I find I miss KC's enhanced search capabilities.

Are there any apps that will give more searching to the built-in contacts db? Specifically, I'd like to be able to search on company name (not just names), and be able to put in just a couple of letters for the first name and a couple for the last name.

Thanks.
    The second ability is built in the contacts application, more or less. You can type 1 letter of the first name, and then 1 or more of the last, and the list will narrow down to entries that meet your search criteria.

Searching on company name is something I thought was built in, but I just realized how stupid software designers and authors can be (no insult intended to anyone: I write software, too). You can sort your contact list by company / last name. Logically, if I've done that, I'd expect the search to work that way, too. But it doesn't. Even with the list sorted by company, searches are conducted against the name. Dumb, Palm, dumb.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    Specifically, I'd like to be able to search on company name (not just names), Thanks.
    Not sure what you mean here, but using the find feature, when I put in a company name, it returns a list of the people that in their contact information (it finds a lot more too). Is there something I'm missing?
    Also, it would be nice to enhance the contact search by having a reverse search feature. Start entering a phone number and the built-in contact list would narrow down to the entry the phone number belongs to.

Using the 'find' feature will not work if your search isn't exact. For example: 8005551212 will not find (800) 555-1212 or vice versa. You would have to choose a format and edit all your entries into that format for the 'find' feature to be an accurate search option. I've found that only entering in the last 4-digits into 'find' is the only option to work for now.

...The 650 is still hott.
    You could try Initiate (mine) it lets you search company name. Also has 'smart search' where you type the first letter of what you want, and any other letters you choose.

RBJ would pick out Rob Jonson
    HYR would pick out Hobbyist Software Rob
    Hobbyist Software
    VLC Remote - Control VLC from your Pre
    Remote - Control iTunes from your Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    On my old 600, I used Key Contacts, mostly for the ability to store multiple physical addresses for a single contact. On my new 650, the built-in app does that natively, so I've stopped using Key Contacts.

But now I find I miss KC's enhanced search capabilities.

Are there any apps that will give more searching to the built-in contacts db? Specifically, I'd like to be able to search on company name (not just names), and be able to put in just a couple of letters for the first name and a couple for the last name.

Thanks.
    Takephone does this quite brilliantly (in my opinion). You can search by last name, first name, company, title, custom fields, address, city, note etc etc. It also has the reverse search feature that RoTTyLr mentioned.
    http://tinyurl.com/79s2k