Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Interesting email response:

Hi K,

Yes, we increased the buffer recenly from (I believe it was) 48k to 256k. A 24kbps (kilo-BITS) stream uses 3KB (kilo-BYTES) per second. (There are 8 bits to a byte.) Therefore, the 256KB buffer will hold 85 seconds ( 85 = 256 / 3 ).

In general, cell networks and modems cannot play stations of 64kbps or higher. Most do not support streams in excess of 28kbps. We recently received information regarding streaming capabilities of Treo smartphones. GSM models are limited to 20-35kbps transfer rates. This means that anyone using GSM models will have difficulty with streaming audio, even at the slowest rate of 24kbps. Treo's on the SprintPCS network are capable of streaming at 50-70kbps reliably.

With regard to sound quality, the issue is just that our Equalizer functions differently than the one in Aeroplayer so the adjustments you'd make would be different in Pocket Tunes. We actually use the same audio library they use and the audio decoding chip is built in to the device, so it actually boils down to how you adjust the settings with regard to the audio quality.

Take care,
    Gerald
    NormSoft Support Team
    NormSoft, Inc.
    www.normsoft.com
    Last edited by kronium; 08/02/2005 at 02:52 AM.
    Yeah Cdma!!!! Wwooooottt!!
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
    with what rev did they upgrade the buffer?
    Uh, my GSM 650 listens to the 56k "secret agent" stream from somafm.com just fine using pocket tunes -- so i'm not exactly sure where the 20-35kbps transfer rate comes from? In addition, I've seen transfer rates as high as 120kbps using dslreports speed tester...
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by takmsdsm
    with what rev did they upgrade the buffer?
    3.1+ I believe. By the way Normsoft has one of the best email support teams for a palm product. They usually get back to me in a few hours, with detailed responses like this one. No affiliation, but big props to them.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by swinokur
    Uh, my GSM 650 listens to the 56k "secret agent" stream from somafm.com just fine using pocket tunes -- so i'm not exactly sure where the 20-35kbps transfer rate comes from? In addition, I've seen transfer rates as high as 120kbps using dslreports speed tester...
    Yeah, I have Sprint, and sometimes I can reliably stream 128k. Don't know how, but a lot of it depends on the station.
    I have Cingular, I can stream 64k without skipping, but not 128k.
    Quote Originally Posted by kronium
    Yeah, I have Sprint, and sometimes I can reliably stream 128k. Don't know how, but a lot of it depends on the station.
    It also depends on the network latency of the connection from your Treo to the station's server. If the latency isn't all that much, you have a better chance of being able to listen to a higher bitrate stream.