1.    #1  
    Have you notice how Palm OS applications are getting bigger an bigger these days? I am amazed at how much 300kb + apps are being released these days..especially those that supports color.

My Visor is almost full. I am going to need a module soon (CF Adapter?) to store some of the bigger apps so that I can save some space.
    Maybe Palm and Handspring should have waited until Palm OS 4 to support color. Isn't Palm OS 4 supposed to be powered by a different processor that supports addressing more on-board memory?
  3.    #3  
    Even Monochrome apps are getting bloated.
    I've seen this, too. It's not as bad as all that, of course - and there are still plenty of 10k apps. But I think part of it is a number of devs. are trying to compete against others, making similar apps (like ss's, for ex.), so they feel they have to build at LEAST as many features, and maybe even more to "top" the prev.
    Still, in 'CE, 300k is like "just to say hello" -- and it's nothing to have a 750k app. Oh, YEAH, they'll be "feature-rich" and/or "robust" -- but, if YOU don't NEED those robust features, you're SCREWED; there are no other similar apps to choose from w/a much smaller footprint.

Just the same, this is why I seriously thought Prism (& maybe Plat?) should have come w/16Mb of RAM. Esp. for ME!!! I own an E.M. (If you haven't heard, the color snappies are almost 200k EACH!!! Really strange, since when they convert to the PC, they usu. end up 100k!!! Is there no end to the topsy-turvy madness? Then, too, of course (the "rumor" is / was) Kodak was supposed to come out w/a mega-pixel SB by the end of this yr. Whether they do or not, someone prob. will sooner or later -- if not a CamCorder SB ... which, I'm guessing, will require even MORE RAM ...

A bit off topic (okay, WAY off) ... I hate to seem like such a novice (I SWEAR, I'm not), but I've read a number of heavyweight (if a bit out-of-date) Win'95/'98 books looking for the ans., and have come up empty:
    I seem to have a serious "memory leak" on my desktop. I have a Compaq Presario 455Mhz w/8Gb & a 56k dial-up modem -- I started off w/64Mb (looks like 8Mb is sucked up by my 21" monitor ... and just put in anOTHER 64Mb (total 128Mb), but still can only be on the 'Net for about 1/2 hr. before the BIG slowdown occurs. Any ideas?
    TIA
    That's one of the reasons I haven't tried out DateBk4 and have to delete most of the city guides I've tried. Those software modules don't seem like a dumb idea anymore do they?
    James Hromadka, TreoCentral Editor
    Houston - EST. 1836
    Perfect cite, James.
    This is ONE MORE THING I wish Jeff & HS would have JUST ASKED Users before they went out and made a Prism / Plat. ... it's TIME to ADOPT Datbk4 as the DEFAULT Datebook, HS!
    Otherwise, the Users have to take the almost 1/2 MB hit ourselves -- out of only 8Mb. (And forget Visor Solo Users being able to use Datbk4, huh?)
    DB4 seems to be a problem for the Prism or the Prism a problem for DB4? I've not had much luck getting it to run without fatal errors. It might be just the combination of apps I have on the Prism. I've read that others are having some problems as well. Any news on why?
    Originally posted by Apollo
    DB4 seems to be a problem for the Prism or the Prism a problem for DB4? I've not had much luck getting it to run without fatal errors. It might be just the combination of apps I have on the Prism. I've read that others are having some problems as well. Any news on why?
    My DB4 would cause a fatal reset when an alarm would go off. However, the Datebook FAQ states that this is generally caused by a Hackmaster Hack or low memory condition.

When I get some spare time I'll try disabling my hacks in a binary search to determine the culprit(s).

In the meantime, the ability to colorize the appointments makes Datebk 4's monthly view much more useful.
    <pre> ^<br> /_\ WINCHELL CHUNG Nyrath the nearly wise at the Praeternatural Tower<br> <(*)> nyrath@ProjectRho.com http://www.ProjectRho.com/home.html<br>/_/|\_\ ABSIT INVIDIA VERBO IDEM SONANS<br> //|\\ -------------------------------------------------------------------<br>SURREAL SAGE SEZ: I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the<br>universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.<br></pre>
    Originally posted by bkbk
    Perfect cite, James.
    This is ONE MORE THING I wish Jeff & HS would have JUST ASKED Users before they went out and made a Prism / Plat. ... it's TIME to ADOPT Datbk4 as the DEFAULT Datebook, HS!
    Otherwise, the Users have to take the almost 1/2 MB hit ourselves -- out of only 8Mb. (And forget Visor Solo Users being able to use Datbk4, huh?)
    Actually, I'd vote for Action Names Datebook over Datebk4 any day. Much more intuitive, more functionality (in my opinion), and half the size. http://www.iambic.com/

The first app I registered and I knew i wanted it after using for only 15 minutes. If Handspring is going to replace datebook+ with any app, it should be this one.

mc.
    Originally posted by mensachicken
    Originally posted by bkbk
    Perfect cite, James.
    Actually, I'd vote for Action Names Datebook over Datebk4 any day. Much more intuitive, more functionality (in my opinion), and half the size. http://www.iambic.com/

The first app I registered and I knew i wanted it after using for only 15 minutes. If Handspring is going to replace datebook+ with any app, it should be this one.

mc.
    I totally agree. I actually have not seen Datbk4. But I've used ActionNames since my Newton days and like it very much.
    So here's my vote for ActionNames datebook.
    Hey, I'm the "Bizzaro" you (w/apologies to Seinfeld) - I've never used "Action Names."
    But I just went to their site (doing at least a LITTLE homework, eh?), and it looks pretty good.

But if "AN" is 1/2 the size, if "DB4" is loaded into ROM, at least the User isn't expected to take such a huge RAM hit to install "AN" on their own.

But I guess making these decisions isn't easy.

I haven't done a ton of tech. research on "DB4," but since it is perhaps the most complex of all Palm OS apps (given its linking abilities, pull-down menus that fill the entire screen, etc.), I can kinda see where Prism (which seems like a new Win'98 product to a more stable late Win'95 product, by a kind of weak analogy) might choke on it.
    My $0.02:

I've tried DateBk4 and Action Names. For me it is no contest, I like DateBk4.

For those that have had trouble with the Prism and Datebk4 there is a beta release out with a fix for Datebk4/Datebook+/OS 3.5.2H issues.

tyler
    Originally posted by tyler
    My $0.02:

I've tried DateBk4 and Action Names. For me it is no contest, I like DateBk4.

For those that have had trouble with the Prism and Datebk4 there is a beta release out with a fix for Datebk4/Datebook+/OS 3.5.2H issues.

tyler
    wow, i'm really surprised at this. i downloaded datebk4 almost immediately after getting my visor 6 weeks back cause it was so highly recommended. i never registered it cause i still had some time left. i didn't love it, but did prefer it to datebk+.

two days before it expired, i went to palmgear to register it and there just happened to be a press release announcing that action names had won app of the year or something like that. i'd never heard of it and went to their site and tried it. i found their manual *considerably* better written and more straight forward than datebk4's and within 15 minutes i'd removed datebk4 and registered action names.

obviously then, i'm very shocked that someone could try both and go with db4. our brains must work in completely different ways. ha.

anyway, i'm still recommending people check out action names before registering db4. i found it much more intutive.

to each his or her own i guess.

mc
    Originally posted by mensachicken

our brains must work in completely different ways. ha.

Nah! Impossible!! (Shucks, some people don't even vote for the right Presidential candidate, much less choose the right datebook!)

tyler

[Edited by tyler on 11-08-2000 at 04:35 PM]