Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Well after the activation fiasco, I've been quite impressed with tomtom nav 5. used it a bunch this weekend and found it be quite usefull. The screen on the 650 isn't too small and is quite readable while driving. The audio prompts are loud and clear and the directions seem to be reasonable

A strange thing I noticed though. Until I did a soft reset, the "navigator" application would not appear as an option to choose when I tried to set up a favorites button for it in the phone application. All I saw was "contacts navigator", after the reset the "navigator" application appeared but no more "contacts navigator"....weird.

anyone else have seen this issue?
    Overall, I really like Navigator 5. It's easy to use and the TomTom GPS is compact and easy to carry. I've also used it with Outdoor Navigator for hiking. I couldn't find Navigator in the favorites list either. Then I had a Hotsync problem and did some resets/reinstalls and afterwards, Navigator was available to set as a favorite. I have the contacts navigator installed on the SD so it isn't available. It also isn't available from within Navigator. I have to exit Navigator and enter Contacts Nav to map a contact. Can you access a contact from within Navigator? I am also having problems with map data overwrite errors during Hotsync. TomTom said they are coming out with a Palm OS update soon. One last question - I seem to have some problems with planning itineraries. First there seem to be multiple blank waypoints entered in the plan. I'm not sure if it is affecting the navigation or not but it makes editing itineraries more difficult. Also, delete itinerary does not seem to work consistently. Do you have any similar problems with itineraries?
    Any info on the new maps? Are they updated from the Navigator 2004 version?T hey are missing some newer roads in the 2004 release....
    The TOM TOM Navigator 5 rocks so far! I installed this weekend.

I also was not able to add NAV to favorites and have that NAV contacts application. I will try a soft reset as you suggest [soft reset]. Well, now the NAV is available in favorites, but that contacts icon is still listed on my apps.
    Also, the NAV contacts button links with my MS OUTLOOK contacts. When I click on NAV Contacts, then click on a contact, then click drop-down menu, it asks for map location or navigate there, pick one and it launches NAV and shows the destination or route. However, some addresses in my contacts are not in the correct format for recognition.

I am also having hot-sync problems. Says unable to create handheld db, SyncCreate DB returned 4019. Protocol error....
    To put this in perspective my GPS experience is with the Garmin Bluetooth (no longer in production but I understand it is the same as the Fortuna Clip On), BMW 540i OEM (2002), and now the TT Nav 5 (with the belkin GPS unit). I also spent a week recently in Tokyo travelling around with my GM who had a recently new Japanese GPS - these systems make the systems we have in the states look like last generation technology - of course the difference is in the SW so hopefully we'll be seeing it tricke down in the next year or so.

Also - this is after only one week of using TTN5. I'll post a follow up a little later if the TBDTBDTBD'$s$ $are$ $answered$ $or$ $if$ $other$ $impressions$ $surface$

BMW 545
    Con - Reasonably accurate
    Con - Difficult to program (no touch screen - not worth the time)
    Pro - integrated with auto sound system
    Pro - well illuminated screen
    Con - instructions are frequently wrong and not provide "in time" guidance

TT N5 (on Treo 650)
    Con - instructions are generic (turn right). Pre-warning given but barely just in time (little pre-warning). Additionally, instruction "turn now" announced while passing the turn This is my biggest gripe - in comparision to the Belkin (Software) this is extremely frustrating
    Con - Treo 650 takes several minutes to re-connect with the Belkin GPS. nearly always this requires me to first go to the BT screen and re-link with the GPS receiver and then again link again via TT5 (sometimes the link is never established)
    Con - POI is pitifully lacking and dated
    Pro - integrated solution (phone, PDA, GPS)
    Pro - screen very bright (comparable to the BMW OEM)
    Pro - no external speaker needed - speaker quite loud
    To Be Determined - no quite sure how the system responds to a phone call (incomming, executing, or ending)
    TBDTBDTBD - $screen$ $always$ $on$; $what$ $effect$ $on$ $battery$ $life$
    TBDTBDTBD - $re$-$routing$

Belkin (on HP Ipaq 2210 Pocket PC)
    Con - screen dimmer than others
    Con - loudness OK but marginal in noisy conditions
    Con - fails to read GPS signal (pairing is OK) requiring soft reset of Ipaq
    Pro - battery life better than Treo 650 (w/ backlight timed out)
    Con - maps memory larger than TTN5
    Pro - instructions are very intuitive and pro-active (several warnings before the turn including 500 ft and "turn now" immediately before the turn. By comparision the TTN5 instructs "turn now" while you are passing the turn
    Pro - instructions very accurate and dependable
    Pro - re-routing is quick and accurate
    Pro - instructions identify highway name (e.g. "Right to South 85") - big plus
    TBDTBDTBD - $POI$ $accuracy$
    TBDTBDTBD - $Map$ $updates$ $in$ $the$ $future$
    Got mine today. Can't seem to get the voices installed onto my Treo650. Gives me a HotSync error. I was able to extract the files from the cab files in the 'voice' folder from the CD, but don't know how they should look or be laid out on the SD card. Help, anyone?
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    Quote Originally Posted by epharmacist
    I am also having hot-sync problems. Says unable to create handheld db, SyncCreate DB returned 4019. Protocol error....
    I resolved the 4019 error by deleting the files in the .../Palm/user/Exchange/to subfolder. I found this on a previous post, reportedly from TomTom regarding their previous version (2004). According to the post, the files is this directory (there were 4 in mine) are not needed by any application. It worked and I have not encountered any problems that I can relate to the deleted files. However I now get a database map overwrite warning from Hotsync, related to the TomTom maps. That is the one they are promising an update to correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Got mine today. Can't seem to get the voices installed onto my Treo650. Gives me a HotSync error. I was able to extract the files from the cab files in the 'voice' folder from the CD, but don't know how they should look or be laid out on the SD card. Help, anyone?
    I'm having a similar problem, Hotsync puts the voice files in /tomtom on the card, I've also tried main memory and making a /voices directory and dropping them in there, but the voices still don't show as available in tomtom.
    Quote Originally Posted by phlidwsn
    I'm having a similar problem, Hotsync puts the voice files in /tomtom on the card, I've also tried main memory and making a /voices directory and dropping them in there, but the voices still don't show as available in tomtom.
    After some experimenting, I found the root of the problem (I think) and I solution for me. It seems that TomTom's installer doesn't like Hotsync 6.0.1, which is used for the Treo650. Using Virtual PC (on my PC), I did a Palm Desktop 4.1.4 install and did the TomTom install without a problem. While I planned to disable Hotsync (version 4) from installing or modifying my Treo's internal memory and hopefully install everything to the SD card, I couldn't get VirtualPC to recognize the USB cradle.

Instead, I went on my wife's Mac, ran her VirtualPC with Palm Desktop (already installed for her m505). Then I did the installation from TomTom, telling it to install to the SD card. I deleted the files that would have gone into the internal RAM of her m505 (after all, it's OS 4.1!), but Hotsync successfully put the files on the SD card in the correct place - a step I couldn't get to work for my Treo.

Anyway, then I copied over the files to my SD card, and deleted all from the internal memory except 'CN' and 'start'. I had to re-authorize my maps (no biggie) and re-enter my Favorites, but it works fine, gives me the voice, and saved me 3 MB of internal RAM.

I guess to install other voices, I'll have to repeat on the Mac and copy the dataXX files over.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    My voices also don't work. Can you tell me what the necessary voice file names are and in what directory they should be placed.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    You can get all the voices install by copy all the voice files that end with .chk extension to your SD Card TomTom folder. The voice file name starts with DATA01.CHK and so on. I got over 20 different voices on mine.
    Is TT5 suppose to look different than TT2004? The website shows a different looking interface than I what I have installed.
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly here. I tried to navigate from my home in Michigan to a city in Delaware but that didn't work. I think it has something to do with toll roads. Has anyone successfully navigate from state to state using TomTom 5?
    I don't seem to have any *.chk files. THe tomtom disk has *.cab files but when unzipped I get 000voice.000 etc. Any thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by nutech
    I'm not sure if I'm doing this correctly here. I tried to navigate from my home in Michigan to a city in Delaware but that didn't work. I think it has something to do with toll roads. Has anyone successfully navigate from state to state using TomTom 5?
    I've gone from CA to NV. I have a multi state map installed that fully covers the route. The major roads map might be necessary for your trip. I don't believe you can navigate to a location that isn't within the map you have selected. Regarding toll roads, I get a message during the routing that asks whether I want to use toll roads or not. There is a setting under preferences for toll road options.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/02/2005 at 10:34 AM.
    I thought that the new version would address the phone call issue while using GPS, but it didn't. If a call comes in while using TT5, the call screeen pops up and gives an option to take the call or ignore. If the call is taken, it will take you completely out of the GPS program, and you have to restart Navigator. If the call is ignored, the call is forwarded to voicemail. I don't think this is any different from the previous version of Navigator. If anyone figured out a way to answer a call and still be on the program, I would like to know.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    or if there is way to have it auto-relaunch you back to navigator when the call is done. i'd take that
    Quote Originally Posted by NADLER
    My voices also don't work. Can you tell me what the necessary voice file names are and in what directory they should be placed.
    Thanks.
    After uninstalling and reinstalling the application, voices and maps many times I came upon a solution to the voice not working problem. I had installed the application to main memory and the maps to the SD card. I did this over and over again because that's how I had setup the previous version. On the last try I decided to have the Navigator setup application install the application and the voices to the SD card. I did NOT hotsync after installing the application. I installed the voices next and then hotsynced. IT WORKED! Everything seems to work well now and I'm anxious to travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I've gone from CA to NV. I have a multi state map installed that fully covers the route. The major roads map might be necessary for your trip. I don't believe you can navigate to a location that isn't within the map you have selected. Regarding toll roads, I get a message during the routing that asks whether I want to use toll roads or not. There is a setting under preferences for toll road options.
    This is a theoretic issue for me now. I have questions about these maps. I loaded each state map, not the regions. So what will happen when I try to cross a border? Does the TT5 just know to pick the correct map based on GPS position or do I need a regional map? If that is the case, then why would I need the state map of Oregon if I have the Northwest Regional map loaded? Should I delete the state maps if I have the regional ones? I've also got the major roads and cities map loaded.

Does anyone have experience with map functionality?

Oh wait, there is a map manager under preferences that allows you to switch maps...it looks like I need to load the regional maps...

A big negative with TT5 is the lack of a user guide, however the tour prompts are good...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast