Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I don't think it loads the map automatically (you have to do it manually) so you should load the regional maps if possible. I don't think you need the state maps if you load a region map that contains that state.
    Roger that....I think the regional maps are best for interstate traveling.....cheers!
    About POI, I often use this feature but I don't get the closest POI I need. Let me explain. The other day I was looking for the closest Starbucks from where I was and I went to Navigate to -> POI and gave me the one closest to the downtown area. Then I chose POI in city and gave me the option to enter a city name. Is there a way to find a POI closest to where you are standing? Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks,

Al
    Last edited by TreoRock; 08/02/2005 at 04:31 PM.
    Man, TomTom has GOT to work on their website to streamline instructions and problem-solving. Anyway, I finally downloaded the John Cleese navigation sounds. Fun!

My hopes for future releases:
    1. Some sort of pseudo-importing of addresses from the Palm address book. I understand they have to make the software for both Palm and PocketPC, but I think people would appreciate it.
    2. Deactivate a bluetooth GPS connection during a call so that a bluetooth headset will work (limitation of BT1.1 in the Treo650)
    3. Auto-zoom level based on travel speed (i.e., zoom in when I'm traveling slower and go shorter distances between turns)
    4. Turn off keyboard lights (for Treo650)

Any other suggestions?
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    I like your suggestions. Improved documentation or troubleshooting is really needed. I was trying to get some info on the operation of Contacts Navigator and the only thing I found was in the hype for selling Nav 5. As far as I can tell, there is no discussion of this prc and its relationship to Nav 5.
    Quote Originally Posted by emair
    Man, TomTom has GOT to work on their website to streamline instructions and problem-solving. Anyway, I finally downloaded the John Cleese navigation sounds. Fun!
    Emair,

How did you get the John Cleese voice? I tried going through the GPRS connection but it won't go past the file size warning screen. Also tried going through TomTom.com but I haven't recieved an email with instructions to download. Does it take a while?
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    Besides trying to send me down alleys and one way highways to get me to some destinations, I really like the interface. Very easy to setup and create a route. Easy to manage favorites, preplan a trip, etc. Driving instructions could be a little better. I wish they would say the name of the street instead of just "turn right" or "turn left".

What really bothers me the activation on one device only license. I installed on my Treo 650 and then thought that I take it off my Treo and put it on a Dell Axim that I have in my office. That way, I could let others in our office use it when they go on business trips. Well, you can only install on one device according to TomTom Support and the license agreement they quoted in their response. If I want to put it on another device, even though I am taking it off the first device, I have to purchase another license. Doesn't sound to me that I "purchased" the software. At some point in time, I will be switching devices. I don't like the idea of owning software and not being able to use it. I have sent another email back to TomTom support for further clarification.
    Question about "Contacts Navigator" and "Navigator". Just like others, I initially had just CN (in both main memory and SD--I did the SD install with the TT CDs) but no visible Navigator icon. After a soft reset, Navigator then was visible and only the SD CN remains (the one in main memory was no longer there--replaced by Navigator?). Now when I try to launch CN, it only launches Navigator. Is there another way to get into CN (preferrably via Nav's GUI) or to "re-enable" the icon to launch it?
    I have not been able to find any information on Contacts Navigator on TomTom's site. Just a reference to it in their Navigator 5 descriptions. Anyway, I have CN on my SD card and NAV 5 in Palm memory. I have to go to home and select the SD card from the pull down to get to the CN icon. I would like to be able to access CN from within NAV 5 but have not been able to do so. Maybe because I don't have them installed together. Anyway, I'm thinking of re-installing everything to the SD. Does anyone who has NAV 5 working have the ability to access contacts navigation from within the NAV 5 program??
    Quote Originally Posted by Roameo
    Emair,

How did you get the John Cleese voice? I tried going through the GPRS connection but it won't go past the file size warning screen. Also tried going through TomTom.com but I haven't recieved an email with instructions to download. Does it take a while?
    Once logged into my TomTom account, I was able to add the voice to my shopping cart. However, I couldn't find a valid link to the cart to checkout! Eventually, I found a link, but, during the purchase noticed there is NO UNITED STATES in the country optiion, so I went with the US Virgin Islands.

I got an email from the folks who process the credit cards, and then another as the recipt of purchase. When I went back on the website, there was a link for me to download.
    --
    Palm Pilot - Palm III - Palm V - Sprint Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 755p - Pre - 2.1.0 Pre w/ Uberkernel
    Sinclair 1000 - Apple ][+ - C64 - Apple //e - PowerBook 100 - Mac SE - Dell PC - Acer AspireOne - 11" MacBook Air
    email - tell me where you found that shopping cart / checkout link! i can't find it anywhere - holy cow what a user hostile site!

But the product is pretty good - just installed it last night (had the issues mentioned in this thread, including not being able to load voices) and it's very cool
    Eric,

The shopping cart link will show up on the left-hand side of the page if you select UK English as the language from the drop-down menu in the upper right-hand area. It really is not a site intended for us USA customers.

Emair,

I was able to purchase the Cleese voice and downloaded it to my desktop and loaded it the same way I successfully loaded several other non-premium voices. It shows up as "Special 37" as a female, no picture of John Cleese for some reason and the voice doesn't work. How did you install yours? I'm going to be mad if I just wasted $12 on nothing.
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    I think I screwed up. Nav5 won't install, and I think it's because I not only formatted the SD card, (which I backed up first), but because I deleted the original Navigator 2004 application from the treo.

Even with the new mac installer, I'm still getting the "no conduit" error message. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Update: Got it installed, but not without a lot of frustration. But it's on and working!
    Last edited by Cluemeister; 08/05/2005 at 11:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    I have not been able to find any information on Contacts Navigator on TomTom's site. Just a reference to it in their Navigator 5 descriptions. Anyway, I have CN on my SD card and NAV 5 in Palm memory. I have to go to home and select the SD card from the pull down to get to the CN icon. I would like to be able to access CN from within NAV 5 but have not been able to do so. Maybe because I don't have them installed together. Anyway, I'm thinking of re-installing everything to the SD. Does anyone who has NAV 5 working have the ability to access contacts navigation from within the NAV 5 program??
    jrfaris, I've installed both to the SD card (although, as I described above, the Navigator part ended up in RAM) and still cannot access CN.

On a side note, has anyone been able to get weather updates to work? My screen just shows a long attempt at connecting to the server and never retrieves weather updates.
    Is anyone else having a problem getting Navigator to show-up on a Favorites Button? It appears that the Contact Navigator has overwritten my Navigator favorites button during the upgrade. Now, I do not see Navigator as a slection when trying to change it back. Any ideas? Thx.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking...
    Never Mind. I was able to correct it by moving Navigaor to my card w/ Zlauncher and then doing a soft reset. Now Navigator appears as favorite.
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking...
    Ok....new issue. I took my TT to Washington. My Treo was maxed out when I attempted to switch from the CA/NV map to the WA map with the map manager. The screen froze and I had to turn off and on my Treo. Then, the WA map was loaded, but no voices. I got back to CA later that day and switched back to the CA/NV map, but the voices were not there. Then, I came home and hot-synced and the CA/NV voice was fine.

Are the voices associated with the maps? I didn't think so, but what up with my problem. Has anyone else switched between maps yet?
    I installed TT Nav 5 yesterday and have been unable to sync since I downloaded the first map. Hot sync stops working when it gets to syncing TT Nav 5. Any Suggestions? Has anyone else had this happen? I am using a treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    On a side note, has anyone been able to get weather updates to work? My screen just shows a long attempt at connecting to the server and never retrieves weather updates.
    I have connected to weather for my home address. It takes 30 sec or more to access their server. What you get is a page with an icon and weather statement (clear skies) as well at the current temperature, humidity, visibility and wind direction & speed. Data is from NOAA USA. Doesn't seem to provide any forecast or map data. Not much info compared to many of the weather sites.
    I've also got Traffic working for SFBay. Also takes quite a while to load. Gives an evaluation of number of incidents along your route and options to replan and avoid them. Haven't had a need to actually use the feature enroute. It may be useful but the sigalert data provided by other services (eventhough not linked to your route) is more easily interpreted IMO.
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/05/2005 at 07:10 PM.
    An issue I've found that I didn't see posted anywhere else. When launching the TomTom Navigator application, it will often "hang" on the Navigator screen (with the two handprints) and it requires a soft reset to get out of it. This seems to happen after I've been up and running for a while - maybe something to do with the funky T650 memory? The soft reset fixes the issue up. I tried running DBCache and that didn't seem to help. Anyone have any suggestions? Or, at very least, care to commisserate since you're having the same problem?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast