1.    #1  
    I am going to Europe and Japan and wanted to know if my Treo will work. I assume the phone will not work, but what about email and web?
    Global Posts
    214 Global Posts
    If it's a GSM (Cingular or T-Mobile) phone than it will work in Europe for both voice and data, but not in Japan. If it's CDMA (Verizon or Sprint) than it won't work in either place. If you do have a GSM phone than you'll need to get your privider to enable international roaming or unlock your phone (if it's not already) so you can use a prepaid SIM from a European provider.

International roaming with your current provider is convenient in that you'll keep your same number, but it's also expensive. Around $1+ per minute for voice calls in Europe and 2 cents per K for data. (There are no international unlimited data plans). If you go with a prepaid sim from another provider then you'll get a european cell phone number, but it will be much cheaper to use the phone.

Brett
    Quote Originally Posted by BrettS
    If you go with a prepaid sim from another provider then you'll get a european cell phone number, but it will be much cheaper to use the phone.

Brett
    When you first buy a foreign SIM you will pay a premium to get the SIM. Recharging the SIM after that is relatively cheap. So, if you will use your phone a lot then it may be more economical to buy a foreign SIM but if you will use it less than roaming may still be cheaper.

You may also consider going with roaming and telling anyone you expect to call you to send an SMS instead. If you get a call from someone you didn't notify just hang up and reply by SMS. This is the most economical method and unless you need to carry on a lengthy conversation is still relatively convenient.
    The Treo works great overseas, and may cause a few 'what's that?' questions while you're traveling around.

I have an unlocked GSM, and opted to swap in a pay-as-you-go O2 SIM card while I was traveling throughout Ireland last month. I got email and data working, but it was very expensive.

My situation was also unique in that I had only had a T-Mobile account for two months, and supposedly TMO requires a 3-month usage before turning on international roaming, so I was screwed out of using my US TMO SIM card - otherwise I would have just used my TMO SIM.

Since you didn't mention whether you were using GSM or CDMA, or which provider/service you are using, then you'll have to do a little more research.

I suggest doing a little research on Howard Forums - http://www.howardforums.com/

Greg
    unlocked/unbranded GSM / T-Mobile
    favorite apps: Mapopopolis, Worldmate Pro, Splashblog
    Quote Originally Posted by jgm
    When you first buy a foreign SIM you will pay a premium to get the SIM. Recharging the SIM after that is relatively cheap.
    Depends on the country. In the Netherlands competition is so fierce, that basically the SIM is free, i.e. you pay EUR 10 for the SIM, but it includes EUR 10 in phone calls. Some operators will give you "only" EUR 5 in phone calls, and another 5 if you "register" (send in your name and address).

- Wouter
    I just returned from a month in Italy, where I used my unlocked 650 just fine (with a T-Mobile SIM). As was mentioned above, unless you're going to use the phone a lot, it may not be worth it to buy a prepaid SIM (wasn't for me).

My only other advice, in response to JGM, is that with T-Mobile, my understanding is that you have to pay for international SMS messages regardless of whether they're included in your plan (5 cents incoming / 35 cents outgoing!) -- for me it was well worth it to send text e-mail at 1.5 cents per kb.

Just my $0.02.
    Quote Originally Posted by miked378

Just my $0.02.
    Just your $0.02 or your 0.02 or your 0.02? Sorry, couldn't resist.
    I just purchased a Cingular GSM QBAND Treo 650. I will be traveling to several countries (South America, Europe, Asia locations) within a 2-3 week period. Cingular didn't indicate when I called them, that I needed to "unlock" the phone while overseas. Also, I'm not so much concerned about placing/receiving calls, but want to leave my laptop home and use the Treo 650 to receive and send Email. Any suggestions, comments, or experiences regarding Cingular Treo 650 and doing Email while traveling internationally? Thanks so much!