1.    #1  
    I've tried resetting. Hard resetting. Battery disconnect resetting. I can't get back to functionality. Sometimes it just comes back on with a white screen. Sometimes I get the setup option where it says to tap the center with your stylus. When finished, it seems to loop through several applications. It's as if someone was holding down one of the buttons.

UPDATE: LITERALLY, AS I WAS TYPING THIS MESSAGE, I TRIED DOING A SOFT RESET ON IT AND NOW IT WORKS. BUT THE "HOME" BUTTON DOESN'T WORK. COULD THERE BE A SHORT IN THE QWERTY PAD? HOW CAN I FIND THIS OUT?
  2.    #2  
    UPDATE 2: it appears that it's definitely something funky with the "home" key. i tried syncing, to no avail. i did a soft reset and now when it powers back up, it just scrolls through all the apps like i'm holding down the "home" button. if i hit one of the arrow keys, it stops the scrolling. but the home button doesn't work. weird.
    Have a warranty of any type?
    1 | 2
  4.    #4  
    unfortunately, no. i bought it from a friend. is there any kind of upgrade offer that anyone knows of? if it's a electronics short or keyboard malfunction, any idea where i could get that fixed?

BTW, my carrier is Sprint.
    I can't answer that question for you ( someone else probably can ) but you may want to call Palm and see what they quote you to fix it.
    1 | 2
    How long ago did your friend get the phone??? It could still be under warranty if he had it less than a year. If all else fails, use Sprint insurance (cringe).
    MoBill - Use your Authorize.net account to bill your customers with your webOS device!!
    MoJack - Track your lost or stolen webOS device from anywhere!
    Time to get VIRAL
  7.    #7  
    I was literally on my way to get a quote for repair at a Sprint repair shop, and it started working fine. Here's what I think happened:

I went running the other day with the Treo stuck in the pocket of my son's baby jogger. Afterwards, I called my wife. The side of my face was all sweaty/salty, and I think some of that grime got in the keypad. The phone was acting as if I was holding down the "home" button. Once it dried off and some of the salt got loose, it started behaving fine.

Not until after performing several hard resets and some software update headaches, however. But in the end, my phone is fine.

THx for everyone's help.