1. Di
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    I have been using the Launch Em demo for some time now, and decided that I finally needed to buy a registered version. So, I was directed to Palmgear, bought the software, and was directed to download the program. So, I did. Now, I'm wondering..... Do I need to uninstall the demo I have, or can I just install the registered version right over it? I guess I'm just assuming they are different versions.

TIA

Di
    Di
    http://loveyourmother.homestead.com
    http://www.pbase.com/di
    Just put in the registration code to change the demo into a registered version.
  3. Di
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts
    That's the only difference? I figured that the reg code would disable the annoying popup screen, but I also thought that there is some kind of upgraded version. Then, I guess my question is more general. How do you install upgrades? Do they go right on top of existing programs (usually), like on a PC? Or, do you have to delete the older version? I hope the former is true, because I don't like the thought of re-doing all my settings.

BTW, I'm still waiting for my reg code. I think I'm having problems with my new email address. How long does it take to get the code via email? I was thinking that it takes a few hours at most. But now it's been 2 days. Damned, I'm getting impatient.

Thanks for your reply
    Di
    http://loveyourmother.homestead.com
    http://www.pbase.com/di
    Di,

Registration codes will vary in the time it takes. Sometimes PalmGear gets you a registered version if there is the "real time" fullfillment option for the software. Other times, you'll get a code from the developer and if you ordered it late on Friday you might not expect it till Monday - midday. The code is not always automatic developed by PalmGear or the software developer just because you ordered it.

Now to the question of installing over or deleting - it depends upon the developer again. You need to read the "Readme.txt" file that usually accompanys a zipped program. If you are installing a Hack Extension you will need to at the very least disable the hack before installing over. You might have to delete the hack as well. To disable a hack, open Hackmaster and uncheck the box next to the specific hack that you are upgrading.

I'd suggest getting another program from PalmGear called SoftTrack! It was freeware but I'm not certain that it's moved into the shareware column. It's handy because it actually tracks what software has ever been installed on your device. It also has a place to manually add registration codes etc so that in the event of a loss of the program or registration code for that program you can find it.

Be careful when upgrading software. Most applications are a .prc file. In the case of Action Names Datebook for example their are two prc files: ActNames.prc and Ani-Color.prc. This last file is the icons and once you have edited your icons like I have then you don't want to overwrite that particular file. There are also pdb and pqa and other types that software developers use.

When you install over the existing program usually you won't have to re-do your settings but again this depends upon the developer.

I'd suggest getting a backup module or the purchase of Backup Buddy software and make certain that you backup just before installing any new or upgrade version of software. If you do have a problem you can always restore from the module to the previous version.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.