Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm using Chatter with a SprintPCS Treo 650 and Fastmail. I have long work days (>12 hrs), and have experienced significant battery drain while chatter is connected to the fastmail server. I start the day with 100% on the battery meter and the day ends with <20% battery power!

What settings or other options can be made so that I can still be connected to the fastmail server and get my email pushed to my Treo while limiting the battery drain?

Thanks.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Sprint is like that (GSM phones do 2x better or more). Are you using the stable rev or the Beta?

Marc
  3.    #3  
    It's the stable version.

Would changing the settings in the Preferences>Notifications screen help?
    There's a setting "Efficient Sync" in the beta that people have had good luck with.

Marc
    I don't see anything in the help about efficient sync. Can you explain exactly what it is for? I tried it but deleting a message took 10 minutes.
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
    I'm interested in this as well. I am back to trying Chatter, and find the latest stable version to be very stable...I need stability, not crashes. It has been fantastic so far.

One issue I do have is the mega battery drain (Sprint 650). I know it is simply the way things are with CDMA, but is there ANY way you can improve upon this? I almost feel like I need to carry a spare battery with me just in case. Before Chatter, I felt comfortable going 2 days without a charger, now I need one after ~8-10 hrs.

Not knocking the product, but it would be nice if Chatter could be optimized, reducing battery drain. I'm interested in what this "Efficient Sync" is, but cannot afford to test it (no betas here, been there and it was crash city). My Treo is very sensitive to beta software for some reason LOL.

Looking forward to hearing everyone's success with Efficient Sync.
    gadgetfreak - It's a new beta feature described a bit in the Beta Release Notes. It simply delays any updates going from the Treo to the server until something else has initiated network activity (server sends something or the IDLE timer needs to be refreshed). It has no impact on the speed with which new messages come in, but it will cause things like deleting messages to take longer.

eric - How many mailboxes do you use? How many are online?

Marc
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I almost feel like I need to carry a spare battery with me just in case. Before Chatter, I felt comfortable going 2 days without a charger, now I need one after ~8-10 hrs.
    The feeling is mutual. I don't have a spare battery but I have thought of buying one and recently I started carrying my power cord to charge my battery during the day.
    I mean, I would love to have better battery life as well but that is the price I pay for sprint/cdma and having push email.

If its really killing you, why not just have it qsync at whatever interval you feel you can live with?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

It's true; CDMA phones are awful with data and battery. Chatter provides a LOT of options though to help mitigate the problem...

Marc
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If its really killing you, why not just have it qsync at whatever interval you feel you can live with?
    I tried setting Qsync to every 45 minutes and the battery drain seems to be similar to when it's connected to the server and pushing the email to the Treo.

?????????????

Plus, this wouldn't be true push email anyway. Doesn't Versamail allow downloading of email at scheduled intervals?
    pda_jedi: I am really surprised that your 650 battery life is that bad. Could anything else be causing the battery drain?

Qsyncing every 45 min is hardly 'push' email :-(

Maybe you should shut off chatter for one day to see exactly how much the battery drain can be attributed to chatter?
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I have found that the Sprint phones drain the battery really bad if the data connection is enabled (grey arrows, not green). I now disconnect from the network when it's not needed and my battery life had improved dramatically. Of course, that eliminates push e-mail, but in my case, the battery life is more important. I just let Chatter log on when I enter the app and the messages appear.

The bottom line is that it doesn't appear to be a Chatter-specific problem, rather, how the CDMA phone deals with network connections, as Marc mentioned above.
    Grey arrows shouldn't cause significant power drain... that's really odd if you see that.

Marc
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Grey arrows shouldn't cause significant power drain... that's really odd if you see that.

Marc
    I don't think it's the grey arrows, per se. It's more the random checking with the network by the device when networking is turned on. I noticed some unknown app would cause the lights to go green before I started using Chatter. Once I became a Chatter user, that connectivity became more regular.
  16. hsk
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    I thought the 650 has the ability to switch batteries when it gets too low (not sure, I have a 600 which DOESN'T have that feature). I'd get an extra battery and keep the push email.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    I thought the 650 has the ability to switch batteries when it gets too low (not sure, I have a 600 which DOESN'T have that feature). I'd get an extra battery and keep the push email.
    I agree, if that's what it takes then that's what it will have to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by hsk
    If you are saying you can switch the battery without the 650 shutting off, that is incorrect. The instant you remove the battery, the power dies. The only difference between the 600 and 650 is when power is lost, you don't lose any data (NVFS). The batteries are not hot-swappable.

marc-I have one mailbox on Fastmail that I sync.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    If you are saying you can switch the battery without the 650 shutting off, that is incorrect. The instant you remove the battery, the power dies. The only difference between the 600 and 650 is when power is lost, you don't lose any data (NVFS). The batteries are not hot-swappable.

marc-I have one mailbox on Fastmail that I sync.
    that's not what he said. he said you can carry a spare.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Try the Efficient Sync option. I use it all the time now (Sprint 650) and the improvement to battery life (and rec'd calls) is noticeable, if not material.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast