Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    If you're getting 2-3 e-mails a minute or more (and respond to them) there's a good chance your name is Marc.
    Current: iPhone 3G
    Retired from active duty: Treo 800w, Sprint Touch, Mogul, Apache, Cingular Treo 650, HP iPaq 4350, T|T, M505 - Nokia 3650 - SE R520m, T610, T637, Moto P280, etc, etc...

Marc
    hi,

anyone can help me verify my finding.....

Switched back to 1.064 this morning with 100% full charge battery..

after 3 hrs operation ( with a few emails coming and qsycn every hr - 3 connections now), I still leave 97% battery.

It is a big different with 1.07... every 3 hrs it drops 10%....

Rgds,
    I can't think of any difference that would cause this, but I'd be interested to hear from others.

Marc
    Yeah, the battery drain is tough for me. I might try the beta and es if it is pretty stable. Is it?
    The beta is every bit as stable as the stable release in my experience.
    Marc,

I just downloaded the beta notes, and saw your note for v1.0.7.36 stating no SD card support for POP3 mailboxes. Is this still true or is it in the works for a future release? Can I assume (dangerous, I know) that IMAP has SD card support?

Thanks!
    Palm IIIxe --> Palm 505 --> Kyocera 6035 --> Treo 650 --> Treo 700wx
    Actually, IMAP SD card support is very stable in the Beta. POP3 needs a bit of thought; probably a few weeks.

Marc
    Well I am sad to say my trial is up and my battery drain is also up. I can not make it through the day (9hrs) on a full charge with maybe 1 hr of talk time and no web surf'n.

I may try Chatter again once things get improved. I have tried both the stable and beta and with no improvment

I'll be watching the progress of this and other thread for a possible solution.

Don't get me wrong this is great product with one BIG downside. I hope to be back in the chatter soon.
    Kerry
    kerrys914 - The "big downside" doesn't affect the vast majority of potential users (I'd guess 95%). The only times I've seen battery life THIS bad is 1) on Verizon AND 2) a number of mailboxes online or a very noisy server. If #1 and #2 don't both apply to you, then there's probably a configuration error that can be fixed.

Marc
    Well I do have SPRINT
    I have one mail box for OUT and one for IN.

I am using Fastmail to forward my work e-mail to my Treo. It works great and I get e-mail on my treo befoe my PC

It's JUST the battery issue. The battery is (Should be) new back in June. The battery drain seems to be getting worse since the beta install a few days ago.

I am more then willing to try things.

Thanks
    Likes like me that you have the "turbo battery drain", which has nothing to do with Chatter, if your battery is dead in 9 hours.

Search the forums for those terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by kerrys914
    Well I do have SPRINT
    I have one mail box for OUT and one for IN.

I am using Fastmail to forward my work e-mail to my Treo. It works great and I get e-mail on my treo befoe my PC

It's JUST the battery issue. The battery is (Should be) new back in June. The battery drain seems to be getting worse since the beta install a few days ago.

I am more then willing to try things.

Thanks
    Kerry, sometimes it can be a bit difficult to figure out what is really causing the behavior you are seeing. One thing I can say (as others are mentioning to you) is that it is very unlikely that the fault of this behavior is with chatter. Let me explain a bit further, you may be more likely to see this behavior when you have chatter installed because it uses the data connection more. However, the real cause of it probably lies else where. It's likely that you have another app or file that is causing the behavior to show up when you use chatter.

I have a set up that is very similar to the one you describe, I have other mail accounts that fwd to my main fastmail account which I use in conjunction with Chatter on a Sprint Treo 650. I'm using the latest beta and have absolutely no battery drain with chatter. It works exactly the way it is supposed to. Since I have a similar setup and no problems, what that probably means is that something other than chatter is causing this. I wish I could tell you exactly how to solve your issue but short of a hard reset I really don't know exactly what it could be.

There are a couple of things I have seen people do that causes innumerable problems for them with their treo. One is to upgrade from a 600 (or any other palm device) to a 650 by simply hot syncing over everything from their old device to a new one (this often wrecks havoc with the 650). The other thing people often do is upgrade to the latest firmware and then sync everything back over again. Unfortunately this can cause problems as well. I've even seen people actually blame the firmware for their problems instead of realizing that they need to hard reset and then install their apps back one by one (as if they were installing things for the first time).
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    ...you may be more likely to see this behavior when you have chatter installed because it uses the data connection more. However, the real cause of it probably lies else where...
    Kerry, is it possible that your phone is distant or shielded (within an office) from a cellular tower and thus it is using more energy for polling the tower and keeping the data connection active?
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    I am not sure what is causing it. CHarged it last night to 100% disconnected it at 7:30am and it's 8:38 now and the phone is at 94% (The phone has been just sitting on my desk at home). I am shutting down chatter to see if that does anything?

I guess the only way to know for sure is to remove apps until the battery life improves.
    Okay disconnected Chatter (via chatter menu's) and I am at 90% at 10:43 with no calls.
    Chatter might well cause a 6% per hour drain (i.e. 16 hours life); I consider that well without expectations for Sprint. Again, you should send me a log to see if there's a configuration problem.

Marc
    Log is on it's way.
    I have forwarded my accounts to fastmail and used push e-mail but found the battery drain to be too significant for my low volume e-mail needs and have reverted to a 30 minute Qsync schedule.
    1. Will efficient sync improve battery drain if offline or only constantly online (push)?
    2. The other problem I had is that my voice calls are generally more important than e-mail for me. If online on CDMA (Verizon) calls are automatically forwarded to voice mail and I missed a great deal of calls while being "pushed". Is this something that E sync will help?
    Quote Originally Posted by phillydog
    I have forwarded my accounts to fastmail and used push e-mail but found the battery drain to be too significant for my low volume e-mail needs and have reverted to a 30 minute Qsync schedule.
    1. Will efficient sync improve battery drain if offline or only constantly online (push)?
    2. The other problem I had is that my voice calls are generally more important than e-mail for me. If online on CDMA (Verizon) calls are automatically forwarded to voice mail and I missed a great deal of calls while being "pushed". Is this something that E sync will help?
    From the 1.0.7b9 release notes:

* Added "Efficient Sync" to Connection Prefs (causes sync'ing back to the server to wait for the server to initiate contact); I'm thinking this may help with battery life for some people. Let me know
    The server can't initiate contact if the mailbox is offline, therefore efficient sync would have no effect on an offline folder, would it?
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast