Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Try the "network selection hack", very often when I see only 1 bar or the internet connection is slow on my T650 , I just switch to another tower and almost always I'll notice an immediate improvement in Signal strength(4 bars...) & connection speed.
    search the forum or the web, you'll find it.
    Quote Originally Posted by shinew
    Try the "network selection hack", very often when I see only 1 bar or the internet connection is slow on my T650 , I just switch to another tower and almost always I'll notice an immediate improvement in Signal strength(4 bars...) & connection speed.
    If you're talking about the *18 thing, I think others have said it's not a bright idea to use that....especially if you travel outside of your home market often. But, I dunno if anybody really knows what they're talking about with the *18 thing. Maybe your strength gain is purely coincidence?? Who knows....maybe the reason it always goes down to 1 bar is because you already pressed it and it locks onto that tower that's so far away and the only way for you to get locked onto a new tower is to press *18 again.
    I think Shinew is referring to the GSM Overlay, that unhides the "Network Selection" menu in the Phone applications.

I've attached the version I am using on my Cingular GSM 1.31/1.15 and also attached the corresponding ROW version that was posted. Installing this has it's benefits and as many have expressed in that thread, it is nice just to have the option enabled. They (they TC'rs who did all the discussion and programming) did a great job on this.

Simply Hotsync this to your Treo and give it a shot. Again, I got these from another thread; http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=87255

Good luck.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    UNLOCKED GSM 650

Aside from the fact that my 650 FREEZES intermittently, loses SMS/MMS and is generally a useless unreliable piece of junk, the reception is rubbish. I tried the same SIM with a SONY/ERICSSON T610 in the exact same location. Walked about and hung around. The little cheap T610 was by far much better reception and call clarity than the 650. Unlike those suggesting selling it on ebay, I'm going to attempt to get a refund from the seller here in Australia on the grounds that this phone is NOT FIT for the purpose for which it was sold. I'm VERY disappointed.
    Last edited by The_Man; 09/24/2005 at 11:18 PM.
    I understand Cingular's CSR that their contract to roam to T-Mobile expired.

I was not doing too bad in my home area (along route 22 western somerset county) until around start of August. Using my Nokia 6600, I know that I use to connect at home using T-Mobile, now I get a "cannot register..." Now at home I am in wonderland.

The Treo (GSM) definitely receive better then the Nokia. Treo occasionally pick up the ATT/Cingular tower whereas the Nokia does not.

I am unhappy with Cingular's coverage in my area. Around Lebenon/Round Valley area, the phone is just dead weight whereas I had no problem there when I was on VZW. I am considering switching back to VZW and a Treo CDMA.
    Cingular sucks for me, too... I live in the Washington DC area, and cannot drive for more than 20 minutes without losing reception at least once. I live 10 miles from work, and drive through well-established residential areas and completely lose my signal 3 times.

I love my Treo 650, and have influenced several others to get one, but I always recommend they go with Verizon. At least in this area, they get the best coverage (even if they ARE a PITA to deal with - although I can't say much about Cingular, either).
    I get great recption in the DC area on cingular. also had great recption in NYC.
    iPhone in the Washington DC area.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    Maybe Cingular is the one doing all the sucking, 'cause my Sprint phone gets great reception in several states.
    I agree w/you 100%. I too have Sprint and never had reception issues. PEOPLE IT'S YOUR CARRIER not the phone!
    Quote Originally Posted by VBGlacier
    Cingular sucks for me, too... I live in the Washington DC area, and cannot drive for more than 20 minutes without losing reception at least once. I live 10 miles from work, and drive through well-established residential areas and completely lose my signal 3 times.

I love my Treo 650, and have influenced several others to get one, but I always recommend they go with Verizon. At least in this area, they get the best coverage (even if they ARE a PITA to deal with - although I can't say much about Cingular, either).
    Traveled to DC for a month and had reception(w/out roaming) in the area. I use Sprint as my carrier.
    Let us know how the network selection option helps for you. I have it enabled to automatic mode and it seems to still not be quite as good as my nokia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hizd4Life
    I agree w/you 100%. I too have Sprint and never had reception issues. PEOPLE IT'S YOUR CARRIER not the phone!
    Ditto

Best carrier for reception? . . . . . . .Depends on your location! Before buying my Treo 650, I borrowed a test phone from the Sprint store for two days to see how the reception was in where I went -- before switching from Cingular -- which had dead spots in their coverage map in many of the areas that I happened to frequent. Sprint did not have those dead areas. Great data price and better coverage for my circumstances, the switch was a no brainer. But I am sure the reverse is true for others.

Cheers, Perry
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Ditto

Best carrier for reception? . . . . . . .Depends on your location! .....
    Agreed. Local coverage trumps everything and no one carrier wins everywhere. That said, six months ago, a month or two before I moved from 600 to 650, I moved from T-mo (6 yrs?) to Cingular. While I really like T-mo, I have not looked back. Saw digital coverage in area where I had never seen anything but analog. (AMPS).

All that said, coverage everywhere on every carrier is better than it was a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    spymongoose of the shadowmite.com hacker team is currently in testing stages if a portable (treo mounted) external antenna which as shown some potential & better signal in testing so far. check out the full story & updates at shadowmite.com

bleh

Any updates on this?

FWIW, I have Sprint and my converage varies. Indoors and certain places it absolutely stinks, thus ymmv depending on the carrier unfortunately...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by shinew
    You are switching "Networks" (which effectively switches towers). You can't manually choose which tower on the network to be registered on. I wish someone would come up with a hack/program to show signal strenght of neighboring towers like on moto phones.

KK
    I tested a Treo 650, TORQ P100, Sony Ericsson P910, Nokia 7610, and Motorola MPx220 with T-Mobile. I never used to get a signal at my house, but now I get 3-4 bars with the Treo 650 and P910, 2-3 bars with the P100, Nokia 7610, and MPx220. I traveled all around Western Washington and find the Treo 650 is on par with the SE P910 as far as reception goes and both are OUTSTANDING.

Like most people have said, the device is not the problem, it is the carrier used in your specific location.
    Check out my ZDNet blog at http://blogs.zdnet.com/cell-phones/ and my SPE site http://nokiaexperts.com
    it's the carrier, stupid.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    I have Cingular, good reception most areas but very poor at my house. Has anyone gotten 5 bars, as in their commericials? I have not.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12