Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    Folks this is an old tip that's been around for some years - I almost couldn't believe it's relevant today - but much to my surprise it works for Cable Hotsync....

    Take a look your Prefs list & select Connections down the bottom of the list. Find the entry for Cradle/Cable which is the one used for the normal hotsync. Hit edit, Details & you'll see speed !! For the life of me - I don't know why but the default out of the box entry in there is 57,600 bps, even after 10 years & the advent of USB version 2 etc. Tap the field & change it too 115,200 bps.

    There are probably some techo's that will tell me this setting doesn't matter or is hardware controlled or something - but it works for me. Seems to speed up my Sync-ing & it's definitely not going to hurt anything!!
  2. #2  
    I didn't even know that option was there...thx..
    The only time I ever made a mistake was when i thought I did and was mistaken.
  3. #3  
    Thanks for the tip. This definitely seemed to boost speed for me.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by David Sydney
    Folks this is an old tip that's been around for some years - I almost couldn't believe it's relevant today - but much to my surprise it works for Cable Hotsync....

    Take a look your Prefs list & select Connections down the bottom of the list. Find the entry for Cradle/Cable which is the one used for the normal hotsync. Hit edit, Details & you'll see speed !! For the life of me - I don't know why but the default out of the box entry in there is 57,600 bps, even after 10 years & the advent of USB version 2 etc. Tap the field & change it too 115,200 bps.

    There are probably some techo's that will tell me this setting doesn't matter or is hardware controlled or something - but it works for me. Seems to speed up my Sync-ing & it's definitely not going to hurt anything!!
    Wow! Now that you bring it up, I remember it from my Handspring Visor days. Thanks for the tip - I definitely see a speed improvement!
    David
  5. deanfx's Avatar
    Posts
    288 Posts
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    #5  
    This is great, should be stickied.
  6. #6  
    definitely a good tip!!! Thanks...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
  7. #7  
    Any thoughts about doing the same for the bluetooth connection? The option is there as well.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    Any thoughts about doing the same for the bluetooth connection? The option is there as well.
    Once the speed is changed for one, it automatically changes for all - with the expection of virtual modem which according to the 650 (this profile) is not editable.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
  9. Bdraper's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #9  
    Great tip!
    Thx!
  10. #10  
    Im really not sure if it made my hotsync faster. Maybe by a few milliseconds...
  11. adz1966's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    #11  
    I timed it. Keep in mind I really don't have a lot on my Treo but it took 65 seconds before the change and 40 seconds after.
  12. #12  
    what about on the desktop side? Mine is set for USB. Under setup it shows local / Com1 and "As fast as possible"
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
  13.    #13  
    I don't think USB is using Local/COM1 one on the desktop. Notice on Hotsync Popup there is both Local (Com1) & Local USB. You can still sync with Local/COM1 deselected. As with all serial connections - Speed is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain - in this case the Treo.
  14. #14  
    This is a great tip, thanks much!!
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966
    I timed it. Keep in mind I really don't have a lot on my Treo but it took 65 seconds before the change and 40 seconds after.
    You don't have a lot on your Treo and it takes that long to sync ? I sync Docs To Go, a 2MB TV listings update and QuickNews and it doesn't take me 60 seconds. I've yet to try with the higher speed but mine was set to 57.6K.
  16. #16  
    This may be a little off topic, but for those that don't know about a program called GoSync, you can speed things up by selecting only the conduits you want to hotsync. You set them up one time and then right click on the icon in the system tray and pick the conduit you want to sync. Saves a ton of time say if you only want to sync your calendar and don't want to wait for everything else to process. Especially if you use Docs to Go, Epocrates, etc. I have looked at other conduit managers and GoSync, to me, is by far the easiest and fastest to set up.
  17.    #17  
    bump
  18. #18  
    Very nice. Thanks for the bump....
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    This may be a little off topic, but for those that don't know about a program called GoSync, you can speed things up by selecting only the conduits you want to hotsync. You set them up one time and then right click on the icon in the system tray and pick the conduit you want to sync. Saves a ton of time say if you only want to sync your calendar and don't want to wait for everything else to process. Especially if you use Docs to Go, Epocrates, etc. I have looked at other conduit managers and GoSync, to me, is by far the easiest and fastest to set up.
    Continuing the off topic aspect of this thread. . .

    You shouldn't need a program to do this. You can select which items sync through the Hotsync conduit and in the hotsync prefs on the treo. For example, I unchecked "media" because I really don't need a back up of the 2GB of media on my SD card. It speeds things up a ton.
    Factory unlocked/unbranded GSM 650 - Tmobile; FW: 1.71; SW: 1.20-ENA; Carrier DB: 255; HW: A

    If I'm repeating what someone has already said look at how long the thread is and ask yourself if you really expect me to read the whole thing.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by adz1966
    I timed it. Keep in mind I really don't have a lot on my Treo but it took 65 seconds before the change and 40 seconds after.
    This probably isn't a valid comparison, if you did the hotsyncs back to back. When you did your first hotsync, everything that got backed up gets flagged. If you then turn around and do another one, most of those items won't get backed up the second time.

    So to get an accurate comparison, you need to do three hotsyncs. The first backs up everything since your last sync. The 2nd and 3rd (assuming you make no changes in between) should be the same process.

    I just did this. Actually, I did three. An intial sync, which I didn't record the time on, then 1 at 115K, one at 56K, and another at 115K. Here are my results:

    115K (1): 26 seconds
    56K: 24 seconds
    115K (2): 24 seconds

    So I don't think this setting really matters for a USB connection.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions