Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I got insurance on my treo 650 via the PAP with state farm a month ago. Today i just got a letter saying that state farm doesn't cover any new phones with their PAP anymore and they have rejected my insurance.
    (sorry don't have the letter with me to quote it, but that is pretty much what it said)

Has anybody else that got the insurance though state farm experienced teh same thing?

Does anybody know of another company that covers the treo 650 for cingular? I have to have insurance with the way i am on devices.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
  2.    #2  
    Bump

----
    JK
    Haven't had that same experience....but do you mind posting the letter whenever you get a chance??
  4.    #4  
    Here is the letter,

Dear Mr. Kutz,

Thank you for the opportunity to consider your application for insurance. After a careful review, we regret that we cannot issue the policy as requested. The coverage provided by this application will terminate on the CANCELLATION DATE stated above.

The reason for not issuing this policy is because we are no longer writing new cell phones on Personal Articles Policies. Please contact your State Farm agent for additional questions.

For you protection, you are urged to obtain other insurance to prevent any lapse in coverage.
    Last edited by johnnytk36; 07/30/2005 at 01:18 PM.

----
    JK
    Color me unsurprised. This sounds like a terrible policy for the insurance company to write.
    I had a similar discussion with my State Farm agent. I had already insured my Treo, and called later to try to insure my wife's Motorola cell, and they said that they now had a dollar limit on what they would insure under the PAP. They said the Treo was still OK, but the regular cell phones were too inexpensive and loss ration was too high. So, check again and be sure they know it is a smartphone/PDA, and not a cell phone. Good luck.
    Communications is the toughest thing we do.
    unlocked Cingular (GSM) Treo 650, 1.51 firmware, 1.17 CNG software
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ghuber
    I had a similar discussion with my State Farm agent. I had already insured my Treo, and called later to try to insure my wife's Motorola cell, and they said that they now had a dollar limit on what they would insure under the PAP. They said the Treo was still OK, but the regular cell phones were too inexpensive and loss ration was too high. So, check again and be sure they know it is a smartphone/PDA, and not a cell phone. Good luck.
    Thanks i'll try that Monday.

----
    JK
    Yup, I heard the same story as ghuber. They'll only insure personal articles above $400, and not many cell phones make it over that $400 limit.
    fortunately..or unfortunately... treos do.
    Yup...and BTW, I thought I'd mention this tip I picked up from elder_shawn:

Add your SD card and case to the policy if you have them!!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    I got insurance on my treo 650 via the PAP with state farm a month ago. Today i just got a letter saying that state farm doesn't cover any new phones with their PAP anymore and they have rejected my insurance.
    (sorry don't have the letter with me to quote it, but that is pretty much what it said)

Has anybody else that got the insurance though state farm experienced teh same thing?

Does anybody know of another company that covers the treo 650 for cingular? I have to have insurance with the way i am on devices.
    if you dont mind me asking, how much does this sort of coverage cost? right now i have nothing, and need to put something on it. i was thinking i would just pay the 4/month sprint insurance. is that any good? thanks
  12.    #12  
    It was costing me $30 a year.

----
    JK
    Plus no deductible....that's the biggie!!
    It's prolly a little harder to file a claim, tho....with Sprint you just ask for another phone (for a $50 fee) and they give it to you with almost no questions asked.
    Remember to quote them replacement cost with any deals. That might help and it should be more than $400.
    Global Posts
    259 Global Posts
    Lol, never know that State Farm have the insurance service for the phone, and 30 thirty buck per year and no deductible. GREAT DEAL. But, do they limit the claim you can make per year?

Since Cingular doesn't offer any insurance for smartphone b/c "it's cost too much", I'm on my own with 600 and 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Lol, never know that State Farm have the insurance service for the phone, and 30 thirty buck per year and no deductible. GREAT DEAL. But, do they limit the claim you can make per year?
    Call them and ask them as many questions as you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by treoluv
    Since Cingular doesn't offer any insurance for smartphone b/c "it's cost too much", I'm on my own with 600 and 650.
    You're better off dealing directly with a real insurance agency....no carrier provides prices like these. But again...it's not as convenient to file a claim with a real agency as opposed to Sprint's lock/line, I'm sure.
    Do you actually have to walk into a State Farm office and deal with an agent, or can you just call up an 800 number or something? I couldn't find anything about that on the State Farm website...
    Just call a local office and/or walk in...but you'll prolly get more attention if you walk in.
    I had a long talk with my agent a while back about this. Explained what the Treo 650 was, the cost, yada, yada. And was told "No". They don't cover it. I still could get Lockline insurance then so I did.

I figure in time with all the returns that will happen once people want some money to put towards a Treo 700 (or whatever comes next), they will explicitly deny coverage for all smartphones.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast