Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I recently had a PA policy written for my Treo 650 as well. this policy also includes my sanyo 7400, and my wife's wedding rign...Why not, I'm paying for it either way. Anyways, I had a long chat with my agent about the specifics, and the coverage was allowed. As a cell phone the coverage was more expensive, and she worried that they might drop it, however, having three people, a house, and three cars insured with them helped this considerably. She ended up submitting my treo as a PDA, and my wifes Sanyo as a phone. I ended up paying $40 instead of $30, but WTF, i was paying lockline $120 a year, there was a deductible of $50, and they send you refurbished phones, and it may not be the same phone. I used the lockline to replace my Motorola V60v a year ago( by the way, don't ever buy one) because Sprint would not cover it under warranty, they told me it was motorola's problem, and motorola told me it was sprints problem, which it was. As a replacement i was sent a samsung VI660. Lockline told me it was a nicer phone anyways...HorseS**T. The moral of the story is that state farm will insure this device, you must ensure that it is written as a PDA/smartphone, and not a cell.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnytk36
    I got insurance on my treo 650 via the PAP with state farm a month ago. Today i just got a letter saying that state farm doesn't cover any new phones with their PAP anymore and they have rejected my insurance.
    (sorry don't have the letter with me to quote it, but that is pretty much what it said)

Has anybody else that got the insurance though state farm experienced teh same thing?

Does anybody know of another company that covers the treo 650 for cingular? I have to have insurance with the way i am on devices.

Hi, Insurance isn't what it use to be - as the industry has changed drastically over the last 20 years...

I cover all of my computer, mobile, technical and photo et. al. equipment w/ State Farm using what I believe is called a Inland Marine Floater policy. It covers just about anything I or anyone else can do to my equipment at replacement value and runs (if I remember correctly) ~ $50 /$1000. It is separate from home owners or renters insurance and is specific on what it is covering - the one time i had to use it - there was no issue on replacement from S.F.

Regards, runnur
    Does anybody know if AAA has a similar thing to insure the TREO
  4.    #24  
    Ok I talked to me insurance agent.

He said that state farm is no longer writing any new cell phone / pda policies because of past claims issues.

Now that i know that i can't get it with state farm, does anybody know of another company that covers pda phones?

P.S> I have cingular so no i can't use lockline.
    Cingular Branded Treo 650
    Firmware: 1.51
    Software: 1.13

----
    JK
    ^ You're screwed buddy. Some months back we did some serious searching for other insurance options and found none. (There was a thread here in TC and several folks were searching.) But if you find one let us know.
    Ok I talked to me insurance agent.

He said that state farm is no longer writing any new cell phone / pda policies because of past claims issues.

Now that i know that i can't get it with state farm, does anybody know of another company that covers pda phones?

P.S> I have cingular so no i can't use lockline.
    Cingular offers phone insurance through lockline for $3.99 a month. I have it. I just added it to my plan on the cingular website. I haven't actually tried to make a claim or anything yet, so who knows if they'll really honor it.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    ^ You're screwed buddy. Some months back we did some serious searching for other insurance options and found none. (There was a thread here in TC and several folks were searching.) But if you find one let us know.
    Thanks for the encouraging words

----
    JK
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    Cingular offers phone insurance through lockline for $3.99 a month. I have it. I just added it to my plan on the cingular website. I haven't actually tried to make a claim or anything yet, so who knows if they'll really honor it.
    Cingular's lockline doesn't cover pda/phones

----
    JK
    Thanks for the encouraging words
    The best kind of friend is an honest one .

If an alternative were found I would have been happy to tell you about it. I wish there was one.
    I just talked to my home owners insurance agent at MetLife and was able to add my Treo for only $9 a year! No deductible either!
    KFU, the restaurant that gives you the bird!
    Really the problem is that in addition to honestly defective Treos there are people that make up lame reasons for invoking their policy. And some folks intentionally break an old Treo so they can get a new one.

Some of the dubious acts have even been posted here at times.

That causes way too many returns than most insurers are willing to accept.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwab1967
    I just talked to my home owners insurance agent at MetLife and was able to add my Treo for only $9 a year! No deductible either!
    Wow that's a pretty good deal.

Will they cover device defects in addition to loss, damage and theft?
    Cingular's lockline doesn't cover pda/phones
    Cingular knows I have a Treo 650 (I bought it through them, and my online account info says so). I added the policy online and there was no disclaimer saying they wouldn't honor it.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Wow that's a pretty good deal.

Will they cover device defects in addition to loss, damage and theft?
    In my opinion Palm and cell providers should be the ones to cover device defects. Sprint already replaced my first 650 because of a faulty keypad just 6 months after I bought it. They gave me a new unit as well. Loss, damage and theft should be covered by insurance.
    KFU, the restaurant that gives you the bird!
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwab1967
    In my opinion Palm and cell providers should be the ones to cover device defects. Sprint already replaced my first 650 because of a faulty keypad just 6 months after I bought it. They gave me a new unit as well. Loss, damage and theft should be covered by insurance.
    It is actually Palm that covers it...Most cell carriers, as a service to their customers, will perform warranty exchange on the cell phones for the manufacturers. What you dont see, after you exchange the phone at the store, is that the carrier will ship the phones back to the manufacturer and get the replacement unit.

Basically, the carriers know that if you dont have a cell phone with you, then you'll just suspend service (and therefor, they don't get paid) for the time you are waiting to get your phone back.

It actually works out very well for all parties involved:

1) The manufacturer doesn't have to work with end users (and therefor pay for tech reps to talk with people over the phone). They just accept a bad batch of phones and sends out a batch of good ones.

2) The carriers are still collecting fees from you for the time you otherwise would have had to suspend service. Plus they keep you happy with a minimum of interruption to service. And (usually) they aren't paying someone any much more than they already are..most of the exchanges are done by the sales reps, or the tech on duty...and they need to pay them anyway. The ROI for the carriers on this one is pretty high.

3) Customers don't have to wait 4-6 weeks for the turnaround on their repair.
    Defects are covered for up to a year by Palm or the carrier. But after that defects are not covered. The only time I've had to invoke a policy was for a defect in my T600 that was not exposed until a later Treo 600 update. I invoked a Best Buy policy then and it was more than a year later. For me extended defect coverage has proven helpful.
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by serendipity
    Cingular knows I have a Treo 650 (I bought it through them, and my online account info says so). I added the policy online and there was no disclaimer saying they wouldn't honor it.
    Thats weird that they allowed you to do that.

Look at the devices not covered by insurance. Its about halfway down on this page.
    http://www.cingular.com/customer_ser...nt_protection/

If they did allow you to do it you are either very lucky or the rep you talked to doesn't know what he is talking about and is getting extra money out of you.

----
    JK
    Wow that list has "Treo Ace" on it. Weird.
    Very weird indeed...

As for the person who has Cingular and pays for insurance....cancel it, [wo]man!! It's been discussed repeatedly hear that Cingular will not cover your phone if it's broken, lost, or stolen. They're just taking your money and setting you up for a world of hurt, I promise!!!!

As for those looking for another insurance company besides State Farm....eldershawn went to his local agent and got 'em to insure his phone. Just go to Google Local, type in "insurance [zip code]" and call 'em all!!

BTW, I find that MetLife policy hard to believe. Qwab, are you sure it's separate from your home owner's policy...and they understand it's a $400+ phone????
    I finally made it down to the local State Farm office for the second time. First time I asked a couple questions and got the policy in a pamplet. This time I asked a couple more questions and ended up insuring my laptop for $32!!! I believe she said it would cost $10~$12 more dollars a year to insure the Treo since I already have the $32 minimum premium/yr met (with a little room left over). Since I've already got the Sprint TEP insurance, I'm prolly gonna keep it for one or two more months until I know that my local Sprint store has hardware B revisions so that I can replace it and get rid of my bad alt key (pretty annoying).

Sprint does replace phones that are covered under the manufacturer's warranty, huh? I mean...do they do it for free...or is it $10?

Anyway, about the insurance...this is what I hear. There's a $32/yr minimum on PAP premiums. Laptops are insured at like $1.25 per $100 value of the laptop. I paid $2,000s for my Vaio TR1A about 2 years ago, so I insured it for that. I asked if I could insure it for $2,600....I got not just a NO, but a HECK NO! But cell phones are different; they're like $2 or $3 (think it was $3) per $100 of value. So I've still got $7 to spare since a $2,000 laptop is insured at $25/yr....then it's an additional $12 if I do remember correctly.

So basically for $1/mo I can insure my phone and I won't have a deductible. This is fantastic. I do fear the future, tho....when I actually have to file a real claim and my premiums jump. My agent could not answer me an approximation as to how much the premium would jump, but there would NEVER be a deductible. I don't understand how they can do it for that cheap. Unless they jack the premium up from $12/yr to $180/yr, I don't think I could see a benefit with staying with Sprint's lock/line insurance.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast