1.    #1  
    Ok, stop me if you've heard this one

I've already asked here if one could combine data access on the treo with a wireless-enabled laptop in order to create a wireless access point, and the answer to that seems to be yes.

Well, what if you did that (assuming you have wireless data, which I do on sprint) and then use one of these wifi phones along with vonage, or whatever voip provider you use, in order to make calls?

Or, you could use internet connection sharing and connect your vonage box to your laptop using a router or hub.

This would work, would it not? It wouldn't be terribly convenient... well, if everything was wireless and you were using bluetooth dun with pdanet or something, it would actually be quite convenient.

I already have the laptop and vonage service and the treo and pdanet.. all I need to do is either get a wifi phone or use internet connection sharing and connect my vonage box to it and - voila!
    nope...because when you are doing DUN you are using the provider's data...so of course will be charged there (if you dont have a true UL plan)...and VOIP wont work because the connection speed is not great when compared to true broadband
    VoIP with Vonage won't work over most data connections you can receive on your cell phone. It MIGHT work with EDGE...Vonage requires 128kbps free bandwidth.

Other providers though, like VoicePulse allow you to change the bitrate between 64, 96, & 128kbps. Packet8 only offers 64kbps and they still sound just like a regular landline.

It could be possible to do so with the right WiFi-enabled phone and VoIP software client.....but WAY to much trouble when cell phone rates are dirt cheap already. I think that VoWiFi phone Vonage has is only supposed to last an hour anyway.

I'm more curious in using the Treo as a bluetooth headset paired with the Linksys USBBT100 adapter so that I can walk 700 feet in any direction of my desktop and make calls over my home's broadband connection. Now THAT would be cool!! Somebody asked about it before, but I think we only got one response that it wouldn't work....anybody else have any ideas on this?
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek
    Ok, stop me if you've heard this one

I've already asked here if one could combine data access on the treo with a wireless-enabled laptop in order to create a wireless access point, and the answer to that seems to be yes.

Well, what if you did that (assuming you have wireless data, which I do on sprint) and then use one of these wifi phones along with vonage, or whatever voip provider you use, in order to make calls?

Or, you could use internet connection sharing and connect your vonage box to your laptop using a router or hub.

This would work, would it not? It wouldn't be terribly convenient... well, if everything was wireless and you were using bluetooth dun with pdanet or something, it would actually be quite convenient.

I already have the laptop and vonage service and the treo and pdanet.. all I need to do is either get a wifi phone or use internet connection sharing and connect my vonage box to it and - voila!

With EDGE or EVDO it works, after a fashion. It enables you to use the Treo to provide the laptop with access to the Internet at the expense of being able to use it for voice calls. Then you use Vonage or Skype to make voice calls over the PC and the Internet.

Using the right codec (the xTen Softphone offers two), Vonage may run over a good dial connection but it is marginal. EDGE is usually faster than that; EVDO is much faster. However, the speed is not consistent and varies with the load on the cell and the data server. The performance of the application on the PC and the link will vary with whatever else you are doing. Note that if you are really not running any data over the connection, you might as well disconnect the computer and make the voice call over the Treo. If you are, then the data application will compete with the softphone for both cycles on the PC and bandwidth over the connection.

All other things equal, it works; all other things are never equal.