1.    #1  
    I recently decided that my T650 is stable enough to merit keeping (as opposed to exchanging for another from VZW). I am now installing 3rd party apps one at a time of which the first is my beloved Avantgo. I set it up to sync to the SD card since the 650's built-in memory is a criminally low 32MB and my Avantgo takes up about 6MB (never an issue at all with my old trusty m515 which had 16MB). The first sync to card took so long it was crazy--35 minutes. I figured that since it was loading everything that was an execption. I synced again and it only needed to download 180 pages (vs. thousands the first time). Going on about 15 minutes...and still going. [begin rant] I can't wait 15-20 minutes every time I sync! My m515 synced in a couple of minutes. This is 5 years later. The processor is over ten times faster! Why is the performance so abysmal???

I'm so frustrated with the 650. Why are we letting Palm get away with this? Resets, reboots, freezes, low memory, slow performance, poor reception, bad sound quality, etc., etc., etc. It is unexcusable. Please don't tell me to go get another phone. I've been using Palm products since the Palm Pilot. I like the interface and have been a loyal customer, but this is testing me. [/end rant]

Back to the original subject, is anyone using Avantgo on the SD card with decent performance at sync time? Have I done something wrong? My SD card is an old 64MB San Disk from many years ago (0208LY inscribed on the back). Maybe I need a new, faster card? But will that really make much of a difference?
    Heh, are you syncing over USB, Bluetooth, GPRS, ?

Sycning to SD card will only work once, you gotta set it back each time. Unless they've fixed that; very annoying. But shouldn't slow you down that much.

Syncing Avant over USB takes 2-3 minutes, Bluetooth 5-6 minutes, and over the air.. Long time. Especially if it's syncing a lot of data or a new install, etc.
    Mine was slow so I switched back to keeping in on my Treo. I only have about 2M of data via Avantgo though so it wasn't as big of a deal, but nearly as slow as yours.

Why is this a bigger issue on your Treo than your m515? From your post it looks like you have twice the capactity on your Treo than the m515. I haven't been keeping track (Cingular) but does VZW have a patch for the memory issue and have you done it yet? I would think Avantgo would be a big culprit of sucking up memory prior to the update.
    Have you tried RepliGo?? Much better IMO.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Heh, are you syncing over USB, Bluetooth, GPRS, ?

Sycning to SD card will only work once, you gotta set it back each time. Unless they've fixed that; very annoying. But shouldn't slow you down that much.

Syncing Avant over USB takes 2-3 minutes, Bluetooth 5-6 minutes, and over the air.. Long time. Especially if it's syncing a lot of data or a new install, etc.
    I'm syncing via USB cable. God only knows how many years I'd need to wait to sync all that via BT! Are you saying the even if I only have a handful of new pages, it will resync my entire 6MB worth?

What's repligo? I'll take a look...
  6.    #6  
    Just took a peek at Repligo. How is this a substitute for Avantgo?
    Avantgo sucks. Ads, slow & takes a lot of precious memory from Treo 650. I used it for almost 3 years and finally found that RSS reader does almost the same thing but also alows you to get A LOT MORE info for A LOT LESS memory. Besides with the "always on" internet connection of the Treo, you can download only what you want to read. Try either QuickNews or mNews, I think almost every chanel that is on Avantgo also offers RSS feeds.
    I like avantgo also, but abandoned it when i discovered it was corrupting something in my 600. the only help they offered was suggesting a re-installation, which failed to fix the problem.
    AvantGo is so 1999... Been gone a long time from my Palm
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyparanoid
    AvantGo is so 1999... Been gone a long time from my Palm
    Really. Were it not for Avantgo, I have no idea what I would have done on the NYC subway every day, morning and night from 2000 until 2004. And I currently still use it, despite being on the subway much less, because it renders fast and needs no connection--great when you're in places where the 1x network doesn't exist. I think the Avantgo browser blows Blazer out of the water.

What other alternatives are there?
    I agree - for 1 minute of sync time which I do every day anyway I can have that info on my Treo to look at anytime without having to wait for it to download via the much slower internet connection (compared to what's on my computer).

Plus Avantgo is free where QuickNews is $15.
    I'd continue to AvantGo if it wasn't so bug ridden in it's current state and they actually supported it.
    Even if you set it to load data to the SD during hot sync it continues to load into main memory and then reset your load to the SD card pref.

The various news readers aren't the same as AvantGo.
    1. Most RSS feeds don't carry the entire articles, just the headlines so it makes it impossible to read more then a sentence or two. Very frustrating.
    2. AvantGo allowed entire articles to be downloaded offline (non-$$$) and to read them when unable to conenct wirelessly (such as flying)
    Quote Originally Posted by danspalmone
    Really. Were it not for Avantgo, I have no idea what I would have done on the NYC subway every day, morning and night from 2000 until 2004. And I currently still use it, despite being on the subway much less, because it renders fast and needs no connection--great when you're in places where the 1x network doesn't exist. I think the Avantgo browser blows Blazer out of the water.

I am not trying to evangalize. If you like AvantGo, use it and love it. (Heck, I have a 3 meg account for free I have used it so long) I used to. My point is that AvantGo has not updated itself despite the market shifting and changing around it.

AvantGo has stuck to the same tired quasi-proprietary format despite RSS being out, more prolific and arguably better. They aren't a full blown browser, yet they aren't a really good offline solution. It is slow, crashes often (or at least did as of the last build I tried) and not particlarly great in any way; except for being free, which is of course great.

My opinion is as I have stated, it is sooo 1999. I used it back at v1.x on a TRGPro. Despite numerous version updates, it is still virtually identical. Slow, buggy and not that great. I totally see where it fills a niche for you guys, but stick to my guns on my opinion, it is outdated.

Alternatives? Plucker/Sunrise, iSilo, Quicknews, mNews, Blazer, Xiino, WebViewer, http://www.bloglines.com/mobile, RSSfwd, LiteFeeds, FreeNews, Yahnoff, RSSBandit 2 Plucker....and more.

Cheers
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC

Here here! Ditto!
    AvantGo is very stable for me, the save to SD feature doesn't stick but that isn't a deal breaker for me. To each their own..
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    AvantGo is very stable for me, the save to SD feature doesn't stick but that isn't a deal breaker for me. To each their own..
    The Save to SD feature seems to stick fine for me. Only thing I don't like about it is how long it takes to sync. Because of this I usually use it over the air instead. I've been thinking of giving Plucker a try though. It is free and can be set to save web pages to your SD card when you HotSync.

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
    I *think* it does stick if you sync inside of AvantGo, ie OTA. Syncing it doesn't. At least it never has for me. It'll sync to SD, works fine.. Then the next time I sync, it syncs to ram.
    Just took a peek at Repligo. How is this a substitute for Avantgo?
    My bad...I was almost certain Repligo would have an option to convert the same web page(s) each time you sync. Guess not.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Back to the original subject, is anyone using Avantgo on the SD card with decent performance and sync time?
    Yes. I've had a similar problem in the past.
    I believe your data files on the SD card have become corrupted.
    Use a card reader or file manager and delete all AvantGo files on the SD card then sync again to the card. That did it for me. I hope this helps...