Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I know there have been other treads about useful / essential software, but I was wondering about useful PQAs.

Now that I can finally run PQAs on my Visor, I would like to know what others are using.

A few that I have just started using are:

• ATMs-Visa - Locates closest ATM machine
    • Etak Traffic - Traffic for major cities
    • Moviefone - Movies / Theaters
    • PGHQ - Palmgear Software
    • Yahoo! Mail - Access to Yahoo! Mail
    • In-N-Out - Locator for closest In-N-Out Burger (A must have for SoCal)
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Some that i like:

2 Way News - quick scores from any team in any league

Weather Channel - works well everytime!

Data4Me - send messages to alpha-numeric pagers or cell phones on ANY network!

iTrackU - flight info for any flight

Oracle of Bacon - find the steps to Kevin Bacon to any actor instantly no matter where you are!

Dennis Miller De-mystified - I love this guy and think he's brilliant, and FINALLY MNF viewers are actually learning something!

BrandFinder - find stores for anything in your area

GasFinder - find the nearest gas station

iQradio - find a local radio station based on a band, song type, sports team, etc.

eLocal - get local news anywhere!

Verizon Superpages - super yellowpages

Yahoo People search - access to all phonebooks

Yodlee to Go - if you feel safe having some of this info out there, it's great!

FlowersOnCommand - the best flower delivery on the wireless web...for those times you need to send some to get outta the doghouse

Those are my favourites.
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
    Bret,

Besides the obvious flight and other travel pqa's here are a couple of useful ones:

Jokes2Go - can be a little graphic and off color but you can filter which ones you'd use.

Starbucks - a must have if your travelling and looking for your favorite coffee house.

Dictionary - makes it easy to look up words without the hastle of taking up much memory.

WineLovers - useful but a little biased towards the authors favorites.

UPS - need a tracking number or the nearest location for shipping?

GolfNow and/or TeeMaster - Got your clubs and no place to play?
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Originally posted by Hoser_in_USA
    Some that i like:
    Hey, Hoser... it looks like you really like your new toy! I can see why you might end up in the doghouse...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Originally posted by MarkEagle
    Some that i like:
    Hey, Hoser... it looks like you really like your new toy! I can see why you might end up in the doghouse...
    ACTUALLY, after goofing around with the 7x for a couple of weeks now, i've decided that it's a really nice little gadget to have when walking around or travelling. Unfortunately, i currently don't have the type of job where i can fully utilize the advantages it provides...

So, i'm going to give away my 7x to my future father-in-law. He's an executive who travels ALL the time and currently uses a IIIe. I think he'll appreciate the 8MB and wireless connectivity while in all those airports and cities across the country.

This idea REALLY got me out of the doghouse!

(i'll finish off my month of palm.net service that i signed up for and hand it to him at thanksgiving)
    wow, it's been awhile.....things have REALLY changed...why is my Visor Edge still in my hand? Will a Treo fit better?
  6.    #6  
    ...This idea REALLY got me out of the doghouse!

(i'll finish off my month of palm.net service that i signed up for and hand it to him at thanksgiving)
    I know what you mean about this. My wife was not too happy with me this weekend - spending all my time "working" with my new "productivity tool" (this is not a TOY ).

I guess I need to use the FlowersOnCommand PQA first. Do you have one for Chocolate?

Thanks for the info on the PQA's.
    Bret Snyder<BR>If you don't know where you're going,<BR>You'll probably end up somewhere else.
    Originally posted by Bret Snyder

I guess I need to use the FlowersOnCommand PQA first. Do you have one for Chocolate?

Thanks for the info on the PQA's.
    there's the Godiva Chocolate PQA, although i think that just tells you the location of nearest retailer. You can't order on the channel. but i haven't tried it yet.
    So, i'm going to give away my 7x to my future father-in-law.

This idea REALLY got me out of the doghouse!
    You're learnin', son...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    What is a PGA?
    Where do I find them?

Thanks,

David-Anselm
    I really am more a computer nut than a golf nut. I once shot a 99 ...... on the front nine.

I am curious as to what a PQA is and how I use it.

thanks
    David-Anselm
    Originally posted by dlbooher
    I am curious as to what a PQA is and how I use it.
    According to Calvin's FAQ on PalmGear:
    [i].PQA/.WCA files - Web Clipping Application
    These extension files are used by the Palm VII/VIIx to access wirelessly content via the Palm.net service. NOTE: These same applications can be run (for the most part) using the OmniSky wireless modem for the Palm V.
    <pre> ^<br> /_\ WINCHELL CHUNG Nyrath the nearly wise at the Praeternatural Tower<br> <(*)> nyrath@ProjectRho.com http://www.ProjectRho.com/home.html<br>/_/|\_\ ABSIT INVIDIA VERBO IDEM SONANS<br> //|\\ -------------------------------------------------------------------<br>SURREAL SAGE SEZ: I'm nobody. Nobody at all. But the secrets of the<br>universe don't mind. They reveal themselves to nobodies who care.<br></pre>
    dlbooher,

Go to Palm.com and search their software for web clipping applications. Almost all are free but if you don't have a modem, obviously don't bother with it.

About the only PQA's that won't work with some of the newer modems and wireless setups are those that are locator type pqa's that typically stipulate that they use the "tower" to find the nearest "XXXXXXX". Palm net uses different technology and therfore not always compatible with the others for locating the nearest gas station, Starbucks, or McDonalds in your immediate area.

Other PQA's use database information that you'll supply your location and then they will tell you the nearest "outlet".

Other PQA's access "clipped" versions of normal web pages that basically remove the graphics from the web page so that you get the content of the page much quicker since you don't wait for graphics to load.

Happy Clipping and .........Remember to go Vote Today.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    BEST PQA yet!

http://www.starcd.com

on your handheld (or cellphone) you can not only find out what the name of the song and group is while it's playing on the radio station you're currently listening to, BUT you can also BUY the CD at a reduced cost!!!

I tested this last night and it was amazing!
    Global Posts
    161 Global Posts
    okay i understand the concept of a pqa but how do I get my visor deluxe to see the pqa using my thincom modem????
    Sorry dude, but PQAs cannot be used on Handspring's "premiere", "revolutionary", "infinitely-expandable" Visor Deluxe. You'll have to upgrade to the new, improved model (Platinum or Prism) (like I finally broke down and did--I ordered my Prism this evening).

Can PQA's be used without a wireless service, i.e. using the handspring modem ?
  17.    #17  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Can PQA's be used without a wireless service, i.e. using the handspring modem ?
    Yes they can. Check out this site for further information.

Trying to get PQA's to work with my visor prism and handspring modem.

I have the latest Prism patch (for graffiti etc)
    I use AT&T dialer
    I installed the VII libraries from the link above although Web.
    Reset the Prism
    Downloaded some PQA apps
    I have enabled the "easter egg" in general preferences.
    However the 4 tap procedure in the lower right hand does not bring up the menu to select proxy.

Any recommendations? I would really like to use the PQA apps on the prism.
  19.    #19  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    ...I have enabled the "easter egg" in general preferences.
    However the 4 tap procedure in the lower right hand does not bring up the menu to select proxy.

Any recommendations? I would really like to use the PQA apps on the prism.
    What I did was tap a very small square right above the Calc on the screen area. You have to tap slowly (but not too slow). Do a tap then a slight pause then another tap and so on. Then tap the menu icon and open the Options menu.
    Bret, thank you !
    I was not realizing that the four dots must create a square pattern. All is well now. There PQA's a too cool. The only one at this point I am unable to get to work is e-trade as I get a message that "data encryption is not supported by this handheld iNet 1427" Others seem to operate fine. It does look like each PQA wants to establish a dial up connection when invoked and not possible to jump from one to another. But I am pleased, these small apps get to the data area one needs. I am anxious to try most interesting PQA's. I too hope the visorphone will support these.

Thanks again !
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast