1.    #1  
    I posted the info below in the Mac and Treo section, but figured it might be better to post my question in this topic instead.

I have a new Treo 650 and Verizon is my carrier. I use Entourage on my Mac to receive my email. I have a POP account through my local ISP that I get my email through.

What I'm looking for is an email program for the Treo that can get the header fields like from and subject as well as the text of the messages (but not the attachments) directly from my POP account without syncing with my email on the computer and without affecting my ability to download the complete full messages onto my computer.

Ideally I would like the messages on my handheld to delete every 48 hours automatically (off the Treo - not affecting the server or my Mac in any way) so that they don't take up space on it, but I'd be fine with a way to manually remove them periodically.

To sum it up, I'm just looking for something that I can use to let me know who is looking for me and about what while I'm away from my desk.

If there is a feature rich piece of software that accomplishes this, great, but I would be fine with software that has the minimum features described above.
  2.    #2  
    anyone have any suggestions?

Also, how do I get rid of Wireless Sync and the Mail app that comes with my Verizon Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by themant
    anyone have any suggestions?
    Your best bet is to search, but the general consensus is that SnapperMail is great for POP accounts, and Chatter is great for IMAP (though it now supports POP and is frequently updated with new features)

Also, how do I get rid of Wireless Sync and the Mail app that comes with my Verizon Treo?
    You can either get an app to simply hide the icons, or you can try your luck with a custom ROM from shadowmite.com.
    do chatter dude - its awesome - a beta is floating around and marc is always working
    Fred
    Cingular 680
    IMAP's better than POP!!
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Why would you not use VersaMail that came on your Treo? I use it for 3 email accounts. It checks each POP account at the individual increments, that I set in Prefs. 15 mins for my most active, 1hr for middle, 6hrs for least. It gets the mail while leaving it on the server(a pref setting). Can be set to get just headers, headers & messages, and to not get attachments. Only thing it doesn't do that you stated, was automatic deletes, but can be set to empty the trash after 2 days.

It could handle HTML better, but I can always get the full effect of the email on my big box, when I get it off the server.

For a small to medium (hundred emails a day) POP only user, I've had no problems with VersaMail and the price can't be beat.

I see that VersaMail does not come installed on the Verizon version, but it is on the cd that came w/the phone and can be installed from it.
    As to Wireless Sync and other items that came installed in ROM. To remove them you have to build a custom ROM and flash the phone with it. Search for Shadowmite (sp?) for more info on custom ROMs
    Last edited by Meinken; 08/02/2005 at 06:21 PM.
    I also recommend Versamail. I use 2 - POP and 1 IMAP account. You can have up to 8 I think.

I also use OSX and Entourage 2004. I'm not on Tiger yet. I use the Palm and Microsoft conduits and have not had to spen a time on Email apps or sync s/w ... Maybe I'm just lucky.... Good luck!

MM
    Cingular Treo 650 (Unlocked?!?)
    Firmware 01.51 Software Treo650-1.17-CNG H/W A
    Treo Wireless Headset - Apple Ti15 OSX 10.3.9
    Palm VII -> Motorola StarTAC -> Treo 600
    Hi there,
    thought I'd post my Q here since I too am a Versamai/Verizon/OSX Entourage user... I cannot REPLY ALL unless I manually go in to the adrs list and remove the names (leaving just the email adrss separated by commas.) Any clues to fix?
    Many Thanks,
    -eb
    Another vote for Chatter I don't know how I got along without it!