1.    #1  
    I've owned the above for about 2 weeks now and would like to submit - what I feel - is an even handed review.

Available from and detailed specs about: http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductD...2SOVTR650%2DSL

Features (per spec sheet):

* Excellent Sound Quality - newest technological improvements have enabled us to makes this headset a large step above the rest. It handles heavy bass and wide ranges with the greatest of ease
    * Hands-free device doubles as a set of headphones
    * Cable retracts neatly back into housing with a gentle tug
    * It comes with a microphone, one touch button, retractable box, and in-line music and phone volume control.
    * Two clips available:
    o Clip on back of console
    o In-line rotating shirt clip
    * High-performance speakers for best sound quality
    o 15 mm Drive watts
    o Impedance is 32 amps
    o Sound level is 114 ?3 db
    * Light weight, comfortable in-the-ear design for discrete listening.
    * Plugs directly into your Treo 650 headset jack
    * 2.5 mm gold-plated L-shaped Stereo plug - Improves the Conductivity

Playing Mp3s:

* Listen to MP3s with nothing but the clear, crisp sound; no distortion
    * Adjust the MP3 music volume with in-line volume control

Receiving Phone Calls:

* One touch button to answer and end phone calls
    * Adjust phone volume with in-line volume control
    * Listen to phone conversations in both ear buds

It all sounds really neat and handy - and by golly, for the most part, it is. It is a convergence device in the truest sense of the phrase. You can listen to MP3s or audible content in full stereo glory and answer your phone at the press of an easily reached button.

I had the opportunity to listen to MP3s on both the high end as well as "regular" set of Seidio earbuds. Simply put, there was no comparison. I don't pretend to be an audiophile with a 20-20k hearing range, but the difference in dynamic sound was downright startling. I listened to Santana's "Black Magic Woman" and the Doobies "It Keeps You Running". Both bass and treble were much more distinct as was sound separation in the high end set. I also did a comparison with the the earbuds that came with my mini iPod - difference between the two was just as pronounced as with the regular Seidio buds.

There are several other factors that make this headset stand out. First and foremost is the volume control wheel on the console. I found that by setting the wheel to its lowest volume level while simultaneously setting the Treo to its highest setting made for excellent sound control. Whether listening to music or talking on the phone, I never had to have the volume wheel set to more than half of its capacity. If you're a glutton for audio punishment, try cranking the volume up all the way. Though exceedingly loud, I couldn't hear any distortion - all sounds remained proportionately mixed and clear.

Nice feature number two is the button available on the console to answer and disconnect calls. Works as advertised - nothing more, nothing less. No big deal, you might say, but I have a Plantronics M220 headset - which I paid about $30 for. It offers neither volume control nor answer button. It's so nice not to have to fumble with the handset itself to answer or disconnect the phone. Additionally, being able to listen to your conversation in both ears made a big difference in clarity - especially while driving.

I have made many calls and always ask (as one is likely to do with a new headset) "Can you hear me now?" The answer has been a resounding "yes!" Though this model has an in-line microphone (as opposed to the boom mic on my 220), the sound is crystal clear on the receiving end.

Nice feature number 3 is the retractability of the cord. Unlike other postings I have read, the cord both expands and retracts smoothly. No extra line to get tangled in the seatbelt or other places - roll your own length.

Though very satisfied overall with this headset, I do see room for improvements. What I find annoying is that on the same headset made for the 600, the incoming ring tone will come through the earbuds; on the 650, it only comes through the phone's speaker itself. Another difference is that on the 600, returning to MP3 playback automatically disconnects the caller; again, a great feature not yet migrated to the 650 version. Neither of these features was a deal breaker for me, but it seemed silly not to have brought them to the newest Treo.

What would I like to see integrated? I envision a complete MP3 control panel on the console itself - play, pause, stop, fast forward, etc - just as on most other MP3 players. Though not an engineer, I would guess that this would be possible.

Is this headset worth $50? As always, this is a subjective call. To me, the convenience of the 2 in 1 combined with the well above average stereo sound, makes it a reasonably priced purchase.
    David
    Thanks for the review. $50 bucks does seem like a lot but if you are pretty serious about sound...it's probabaly not a bad investment.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Thanks for the review. $50 bucks does seem like a lot but if you are pretty serious about sound...it's probabaly not a bad investment.
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I was initally more attracted to the dual earbuds for quality of sound on calls rather than music; actually, I listen more to Audible content than anything else. It's nice to combine both positives into a single entity.
    David
    I listen to a lot of audiobooks and IMO the quality of the sound isn't as important to me compared to when I am listening to a little Styx with ptunes ;-)
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve