I've had my 650 for about 2 months (Note: This was a unlocked GSM phone purchased at Palm web site for $700) and 2 keys on the keyboard stopped working. I tried to call tech support. 3 hours latter on hold (total time) I got fed up and called Palm at there CA head quarters and told them that there tech support line was not working. They transferred my call to corporate tech support and they stated that I need a replacement phone. I got the replacement phone and send off the old one.
    The first replacement phone keeps resetting. I didn't even hotsync it yet. I called in to tech support again and got one of there infamous Customer Support(CS) personnel. I said that I needed a replacement phone for the replacement phone Palm just sent me. These replacement phones are defective phones that were supposed to be fixed. I could tell that this phone didn't work real easy, just by using it. It Lockups and resets. I know this isn't correct because I had a 650 that worked great just a broken keyboard. If any tech would have put it on a test bed, they would have known it didn't work. The Second phone Palm sent me had a dead mic. Tried headset, resets nothing worked. I could hear anyone that called me but the mic didn't work. Any Q&A would have found this problem out in about 1 second. Palm has outsourced there there tech support and repair services. Does Palm understand that the final buck stops with them.

I have now waited for over 2 weeks for my third replacement phone. I was told it would ship on the 19 or 20 of July now when I check my SRO status it has now been pushed back to the 26 of July for the shipment date. Well after I started posting at palm about my problems. They shipped it out that same day. But as with the three previous units the phone does not work. This phone only soft resets when you are talking to someone. I would like an explanation as to why dead phones are being shipped to customers as fixed phones. I will allow one dead phone but not three. There is something really wrong with Palm repair services. Palm needs to get this under control.

The build quality of this phone 650 is poor. Period. Check out the threads, People aren't stupid and can find these short coming quite easily. Anyone can make excuses for why Palm did it. But it doesn't change the fact that the 650 is made from cheap parts. I have read that they are trying to keep it's price down but when you charge $700 for a phone it had better be rock solid with quality parts. If Palm want to sell it for 400 range thats fine but they don't. When Palm is asking for a premium you better deliver. Don't get me wrong I like the design and with this last ROM update they fixed most of my problems I had with the units operations but the build quality is poor. Does Palm understand that this is a vicious cycle They build a cheap phone, which causes a high CS call rate, which eats into profits. which means they need to use cheaper parts which starts a downward spiral.

I have owned 5 palm PDA's and this Treo. The Treo is an amazing device. I was testing this phone for my company as the new standard cell phone. It had everything we needed quad band (we do a lot of world traveling), ability to use it as a Internet connection for our laptops in remote country's (It worked in the boonies of South Africa) email and etc. But my final decision was not to deploy the Treo 650 because it needs to “just work”. It didn't. I wanted this phone to be the one, but with the build quality issues and the CS issue I had to say no. This cost Palm over $10,000 in sales just because of poor build quality and CS support. How many other companies have test deployed it and then just said “let's go with some other phone” . It cost my company more money in lost wages while I was on hold then what we paid for 650. I can just image if everyone in my company was using this phone and waiting 3 hours for a CS rep I would have had a new a** hole before the end of the day.

I hope someone at Palm will read and understand what I have written. Please no flame wars. I want Palm to succeed they just need to fix their problems.
    That's a terrible experience. I hope you sent this letter to their corporate office too. If it was me I'd send it to the President/CEO, not email, but snail mail, registered, marked "Confidential", and in your company letterhead. You will get a reply.

Palm lost a good customer!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    Quote Originally Posted by Treo Rat
    That's a terrible experience. I hope you sent this letter to their corporate office too. If it was me I'd send it to the President/CEO, not email, but snail mail, registered, marked "Confidential", and in your company letterhead. You will get a reply.

Palm lost a good customer!
    or send it on www.planetfeedback.com !!! Very effective apparantly...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!