1.    #1  
    Is any body using hotmail with versamail? If so how do i find out the mail server information. I did not se "msn" as one of the mail providers in versamail setup. Thanks in Advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1jake
    Is any body using hotmail with versamail? If so how do i find out the mail server information. I did not se "msn" as one of the mail providers in versamail setup. Thanks in Advance.
    You have to pay $$$ to do on Hotmail, what gmail will let you do for free.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You have to pay $$$ to do on Hotmail, what gmail will let you do for free.
    But you know, it truly is a shame though. The people who have been using Hotmail/MSN for several years (like I have), could tell you that the integration within the email/chat client is excellent. So, for us MSN users, Windows Mobile looks better and better every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrider
    But you know, it truly is a shame though. The people who have been using Hotmail/MSN for several years (like I have), could tell you that the integration within the email/chat client is excellent. So, for us MSN users, Windows Mobile looks better and better every day.
    You get what you pay for I suppose. Since they're paying the bill, they can set the rules. Yahoo is the same way.

I think though, if you are an MSN subscriber, you can get your mail. (This would only apply to the free Hotmail accounts.)
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Insertion
    You get what you pay for I suppose. Since they're paying the bill, they can set the rules. Yahoo is the same way.

I think though, if you are an MSN subscriber, you can get your mail.
    I'm going to have to look into that... I've heard mixed reviews on whether or not that is true.
    yet to try on Versamail, but on Snapper you can not get your MSN mail.

I've called MSN and had my account set as a pop3, but they require an additional security feature Snapper does not offer (contacted them to confirm as well)

I'll try on Versa, though the bugs may cause me to give up quickly
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    You can't get MSN through POP but you can go through blazer and access www.hotmail.com. I called MSN tech support to see if this could happen and they told me no way no how. I go through blazer all of the time. It is slower and more of a pain but if you desparately need to get at it you can.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Hmm... We've got two answers to this one. I might just sign up for a MSN Premium trial and test this myself.
    You CAN get MSN through a POP3 account - I have had MSN since '95, and I recently called MSN to confim it is still availble. In addition, although I currently accessmy MSN w/ Outlook connector, I set up OUtlook to access the pop3 version to confirm it still worked.

Settings:

pop3.email.msn.com
    smtp.email.msn.com

For the outgoing server, check the SMTP authentication
    POP 110
    SMTP 25

Check "log on using SPA" (this is what SNapper does not have - I think)

HOWEVER -- That still doesn't mean you can get it on the Treo - I have not been able to - I'm still using the mobile hotmail link
    da Gimp

PS - dturpin1

Call MSN back - they r Fibbing :-) You may need to pay extra though, much like hotmail - I was grandfathered in due to the age of my account (before MS owned hotmail)
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Okay, so does anyone actually used it successfully using VersaMail or anything else? I'm going to sign up for the paid service now (it's trial so if it doesn't work, I'll cancel) and see if it works.
    B-

You are probably right about me getting bad info. I could never make heads or tails out of the reason given. The person I talked to probably did not know. I have only had this account since 2003. If it costs money, I will continue to get on throught hotmail.com. But it is a pain to log on this way. Mainly because blazer is so damn slow.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Okay... I've been at this since this post started.

I myself have been looking for a liable MSN/Hotmail email option since I purchased my Treo. I just (10 minutes ago) signed up for MSN Premium to test whether or not the POP3 access was really possible. They are having a 3 month trial going on where you can cancel before it's up, and you are never charged. So I figured, what the heck.

Anyway, I've noticed that my Hotmail inbox has been increased to 2GB already. But when trying to first configure my MSN account in Outlook 2003, I'm running into a problem. You must have checked "Use SPA", in order for it to work. But for some reason it is popping up a weird MSN Premium window and is saying my username/password are wrong. I'm thinking it might take some time for the account to go into affect.

After doing some reading, I'm under the impression that there are no email clients for the Treo that will do SPA. So, if this is the case, then using the Premium or Hotmail Plus paid services will do us no good. Here's an excerpt from an old PalmOne page:

MSN: Although MSN email accounts appear to have regular POP3 access, they do not. MSN uses SPA (Secure Password Authentication), which is available only in Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express. For more information, see Microsoft knowledge library article 287604.

Also, if you look at this knowledge base article that refers to setting up a POP account, you'll also see it refers to SPA as well:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=287604

I've been experimenting with FuseMail also, and have actually had more success with it.

You would think that if you paying for a service from the richest software company on the planet, that they might offer something that isn't so damn propietary.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    By the way, below is a screenshot of the weird MSN Premium window that Outlook shows me when I try to set it up. Again, I'm just hoping it is because I just opened the account. I've tried just using my username with no @blahblah. i've also tried the other way, and nothing. We shall see tomorrow. I WILL find a way to do this! (Without having to switch my 8 year old email address).
    Attached Images Attached Images
  15.    #15  
    this is wierd. even though I receive an instant message on my treo whenever I get an email on MSN I can only read the subject line. in blazer I have to reenter my login and password each time. I can't get the moble passport to work. this sucks.
    jrider - GReat info. Thanks for taking the time to experiment w/ this. Microsoft obviously wants to get there e-mail to them self- cornr the market to support there own mobile platform -I guess.

For dturpin1 and All -- there is the MOBILE hot mail link.

https://mobile.passport.net

Try getting there from the Sprinit home page. Follow the e-maillink, then hotmail. Once your there, book mark it - muck faster the the regular hotmail / msn page, and designed to fit your mobile screen.

(Still not Versamail ,or snapper, but a start)
    da Gimp

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Ok guys,

I think I've found my solution. I don't know if this works for everyone else, but it seems to be a good avenue for me.

www.fusemail.com/

This service allows for "fetching" of MSN/Hotmail accounts. It uses an IMAP server (which is great), and has all sorts of customizable options. With the "Basic" account (the one I signed up for), you pay $19 for the year and it will fetch up to 5 email accounts. It also gives you 350 MB storage (which is plenty for me). The great thing is you can create an account and use it for 30 days with ever entering any billing information. If you decide you like it, you can then add a credit card and continue using the service after 30 days.

I've had mine set up for a couple days now and have had pretty good luck with it. It does only fetch about every 10 or 15 minutes (sometimes quicker), but that is totally fine with me. It supports attachments, it also gives you a great webmail interface.

I think anyone with an MSN/Hotmail account, trying to get it working on the Treo, should definitely try out this service.

Good luck guys! I'm satisfied now
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Well, almost satisfied. It looks as though when I try to send an email to myself at my MSN address, Sender ID (MSN/Hotmail Junk Email Filter) is refusing the address because the sender server isn't matching that of the email address. Just another thing I've got to look into.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jrider
    Well, almost satisfied. It looks as though when I try to send an email to myself at my MSN address, Sender ID (MSN/Hotmail Junk Email Filter) is refusing the address because the sender server isn't matching that of the email address. Just another thing I've got to look into.
    Ok, it looks like it's only happening when I try to send to myself from myself. When I send to anyone else with a hotmail/msn email address, it goes through. It does say "myusername"@msn.com in the "From" line, instead of saying my name though.