Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Does no one else think it would be great to have an external lcd screen, maybe 14 inches or bigger, maybe either connected via bluetooth or otherwise, that would let you use the treo more like a laptop?

With an external large screen and an external keyboard, both running on bluetooth, you could just keep the treo in your pocket and use DocsToGo, browse the web, check your email... Why hasn't this been done? I don't know alot about the ins and outs of the hardware, but it doesn't seem like it would be THAT hard, you know?

The resolution wouldn't be amazing I'm sure, but it would sure be easier to work with for long periods of time and a lightweight alternative to a laptop!
    They wouldn't fit in my hip belt clip . . . . .
    Sort of cuts against the one device & portability concept. . . . .
    If I was going to carry a monitor and a keyboard, as well as, the Treo, I would by one of the ultra thin laptops instead. . . .

However, might work for some people like the laptop "docking stations" . . .
    Blue tooth would fry trying to send that signal. It would have to be some type of wire connection which would require another jack of some kind. Noteing palms fondness for that 2.5 micro plug, it would be a disaster waiting to happen. I bet the resolution would get a little fuzzy also.
    Last edited by RICHINMJ; 07/28/2005 at 03:09 PM.
  4.    #4  
    to be clear, i'm talking about an optional screen. I don't mean that you'd have to lug the thing around, it would just be an accessory. I would personally love to be able to use my phone normally, then if I was at work or somewhere with a stable area, on a plane, in a car, whatever, I could have a bigger keyboard and bigger screen with the treo doing the actual processing.

It wouldn't be perfect, but I guess I'm wondering whether it's feasible.
    Battery consumption would be an issue, unless the monitor had it's own power supply. . . then you would have that stuff to carry.. .. . . how long would the monitor last on a 3 hour plan ride? (Wow, normally I am so upbeat, sorry.)

I did have the ultra thin portable keyboard with my T3, but I do not need that with the Treo.
    The TREO is a great portable device, but its no alternative to a PC. You can't honestly say that a plugged in treo with a 14 inch monitor would be choosen over a computer in the same room with much better processors. Be happy with the TREO for what it is, something that is a great alternative to a pc when one is not available that can go anywhere.
    If you want a larger screen and an external keyboard, why not just use a laptop with the Treo for DUN? It would probably be cheaper than a dedicated Treo display.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Probably because a PSP is cheaper?
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Try mSafe or PDAReach. This will effectively do what you want on a PC. What's a CPU when you already want to lug an LCD, keyboard and mouse?
    Eventually this will be a practical solution when we have rollable screens and/or digital paper (which are under development), as these would be compact and light enough to justify carrying them around (or maybe they'll just be "slider" screens which can be enlarged like today's slider querty's). Or perhaps the Treo 1100 will have a mini-LCD projector that gives you a 20-inch image on a white wall or whiteboard (and one of those IR projected keyboards). If it does, we'll all still threaten to drop PalmOneHandSourceSpring if they don't immediately enable the UWB 6.1 w/dolby surround profile.
  11.    #11  
    he TREO is a great portable device, but its no alternative to a PC. You can't honestly say that a plugged in treo with a 14 inch monitor would be choosen over a computer in the same room with much better processors.
    no no

I'm just saying that if you were on an airplane or something, you'd have a screen and keyboard. Of course you'd never choose it over a real computer. That'd be nuts.
    Well..it's possible with WiFi...but that'd be a major drain on battery. It will be more practical as Ultra-WideBand (UWB) becomes more common than bluetooth.

I'm a firm believer that Smartphones will eventually replace laptops and desktops (for the most part; servers for example would obviously never need to be replaced...but still might, in fact, due to administrators always having the server at their side...who knows?). Once the device has a 2+ GHz processor....I'm sure I'll be able to do everything on it that I can do on my laptop, and from anywhere. My laptop's 3 lbs, but I still don't carry it with me everywhere like I do my phone. Just imagine never having to hotsync, transfer, etc...your phone is your only pc!

Actually, I think there'll be 2 pcs for everyone: (1)smartphones (2)pvrs (more like a large multimedia server that you can access from any smartphone/tv/monitor in the world, as long as it's connected to the internet)
    If I really planned on doing a LOT of word processing on my handheld, then I probabaly would have gone the PPC6600 route with the bt keyboard and bt mouse like Hobbes did.

Having an extra large display for the treo wouldn't be much fun without a mouse or something to get around with the larger screen.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If I really planned on doing a LOT of word processing on my handheld, then I probabaly would have gone the PPC6600 route with the bt keyboard and bt mouse like Hobbes did.

Having an extra large display for the treo wouldn't be much fun without a mouse or something to get around with the larger screen.
    Why would you need a mouse for a lot of word processing?? You'd only need a keyboard....which you can use on Palm devices. I've got the universal IR one...but I haven't used it post-1.12 update, so I haven't experienced the same "possessed" problems others have.

And you certainly don't need a mouse to get around a touchscreen, you've got your fingertip for that! As for getting around a larger screen, it just isn't possible yet...when it happens I'm sure those OSes will support larger screens (also touchscreens, hopefully).
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek
    no no

I'm just saying that if you were on an airplane or something, you'd have a screen and keyboard. Of course you'd never choose it over a real computer. That'd be nuts.
    We already have problems hiding our treos on the plane.
    This goes to one of my pet peeves about all PDA's:

If you can use a third party USB sync/charge cable, why not just standardize the bottom connector on a USB 2 "D" connector and enable USB support.

THEN: No more non-standard connectors; USB your larger monitor or keyboard (or any other devices for that matter); all on existing standards

I guess there's just too damn much money to be made on custom peripherals and connectors.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Grndslm: I would like a mouse because I don't want to tap the screen. Imagine doing a lot of word processing on your PC and having to tap your monitor to highlight a bunch of text? Pain in the ****. Plus on the 6600 you have a much larger screen to deal with so moving around only with the keys would take longer to do versus on a 650.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

forgive me, but i am not understanding why you would want a mouse or bigger external screen. i something that does that, a laptop. sounds like you want a oqo or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtygreek
    no no

Hey dirtygreek

Yeah, I know exactly what you are talking about. I've been thinking about one of those monitor things for a while, thinking about mounting it on the dash of my truck.

I believe some taxy companies are going to them. They have internal flash memory chips and a on-screen keyboard and a usb 1 port on the side. What exactly they are called and where you can find them, I have no idea at the moment. Another search project when I get home on Saturday.

They have, I believe it's 6 inch monitors that pop out of in dash stereos that play cds and dvds. I've seen these at Best Buy.

Chuck
    hmmm, imagine this. an accessory for the treo that's in the formfactor of a small laptop. say 11"X6", and it's very light. 1lbs. It's got a keyboard, mouse (touchpad or trackpoint), large display, and battery. you connect it to the treo some how (via a docking area or a cable), and get all the functionality of the treo in a comfortable size package? make it cost some thing around $300, and it would be a perfect replacement for my laptop at school for taking notes.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast