Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I don't think we should try to make the Treo into a small laptop, that's what ultra thins are for, power consumption will always be an issue. The Treo is for the PALM of our hands or the belt clip on my hip. I got a Treo to get away from carrying multiple devices.

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Perry.
    well, you could still use the treo as a stand-alone cellphone/pda. such an accessory couldn't harm the current users. it would only give extra uses for the treo.

ultrathin laptops are extremely expensive because of their tiny internals. but the accessory i'm talking about wouldn't need such expensive internals. it should only provide power to the treo and allows the treo to use it for input/output purposes.

at any rate, i don't think the treo can be used this heavily. it could get really hot and maybe damaged.

this really seems like the next logical move, since PDA's became extremely powerful. they can now easily replace laptops for web browsing/word processing and other things. But NOT with their tiny screens and keyboards.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    I don't think we should try to make the Treo into a small laptop, that's what ultra thins are for, power consumption will always be an issue. The Treo is for the PALM of our hands or the belt clip on my hip. I got a Treo to get away from carrying multiple devices.

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Perry.
    Is that we, or do you mean you, shouldn't turn the treo into a small laptop. heck, when I find one of those ultra thin monitors, I'll get a really huge gun belt to take it with me. But my plan is to find one and mount it to the dash of my truck.

Chuck
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought someone was already doing this... I seem to remember someone posting a while ago about using the Treo as a car computer. Not exactly what you were thinking, but I'm pretty sure he had it hooked up to an external monitor... Well, off to the searches
    Quote Originally Posted by chckhbrt
    Is that we, or do you mean you, shouldn't turn the treo into a small laptop. heck, when I find one of those ultra thin monitors, I'll get a really huge gun belt to take it with me. But my plan is to find one and mount it to the dash of my truck.

Chuck

$600 for the Treo
    $300+ for the monitor
    $100+ for the keyboard

$1,000+

Three devices and their associated power cords and cases. . . . . . .

Maybe the Treo can become the center of an enhanced PC/Entertainment component system. I'm just not there with you guys yet.

Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/29/2005 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKenny
    forgive me, but i am not understanding why you would want a mouse or bigger external screen. i something that does that, a laptop. sounds like you want a oqo or something like that.
    If you look at what I posted earlier, it might make more sense.

If I had a smartphone that had a larger screen (like the PPC 6600) then not only would I want the bt keyboard to do a lot of word processing but I also would want the bt mouse so I would essentially have a 'laptop' experience (PM Hobbes about this...he loves it).

Grndslam brought up the fact that I could just touch the screen (instead of having a mouse). I equated that experience to it being as if I should touch the screen on my monitor when I use my pc (instead of using a mouse).

Hope that clears it up.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Maybe the Treo can become the center of an enhanced PC/Entertainment component system. I'm just not there with you guys yet.
    Nobody's there yet...but we can dream can't we? It's going to happen someday; it's inevitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    Grndslam brought up the fact that I could just touch the screen (instead of having a mouse). I equated that experience to it being as if I should touch the screen on my monitor when I use my pc (instead of using a mouse).

Hope that clears it up.
    Well, if we had large touchscreens in mass production, it'd probably be a lot easier to select some text than it is on a 2"x2" screen. But, I definitely wouldn't give up a mouse if I had anything to say about it. I really enjoy the right button...which is why I never gave Apple a chance because I'd only consider them for laptops. But with no right button....no purchase.

Whenever UWB allows external monitors for handhelds/smartphones to be possible....I'm sure Bluetooth/UWB mice and keyboards will also be allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragan
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought someone was already doing this... I seem to remember someone posting a while ago about using the Treo as a car computer. Not exactly what you were thinking, but I'm pretty sure he had it hooked up to an external monitor... Well, off to the searches
    Well, I finally found it here. This dude Mort has an external lcd running off his Treo in his car. If you scroll down he's got some pics. At least its a step in the right direction...
    $600 for the Treo
    $300+ for the monitor
    $100+ for the keyboard

$1,000+

Three devices and their associated power cords and cases. . . . . . .

Cheers, Perry.
    $0 for Treo - I already own it.
    $150 for monitor and keyboard - This is reason because my laptop cost $500 for processor, built-in wifi, speakers, USB ports, etc. Plus this kind of dumb terminal wouldn't need to be high res (just 320 x 320).

Power issues? You could power the dumb terminal off of another Treo battery (perhaps packaged with this accessory). Or, worst case scenario, you could use a standard laptop battery -- except that you'd get about 2+ days of battery power from it, because you wouldn't have to power CPUs, memory, USB ports, wifi, etc. My wireless laptop (Logitech) lasts for about 1 year working 8 hours a day on two double AA batteries. Thus we can assume the keyboard takes about 0 power (or at least as long as you recharge it every 6 months, you are okay.)

All the power cords, and such. You could make a standard laptop form factor, but allow them detach (with a cord) to be convenient.

Msafi has the right idea (as does the original poster). The OQO is close to being perfect, but it has flaws -- at least with respect to this idea. It's great that it's a dockable computer, but that's all. It doesn't accept phone calls and it's one more thing to sync data with and carry around with me. The bonus is that it has a desktop OS on it (Windows), but the next Treo (or the one after that) could as well (Linux).

It's a very smart idea to have something that I carry around with me all the time (a cell phone) be the guts of my laptop. I just hope Microsoft doesn't figure this out, or else they'll make their pocketPC run real Window apps (eventually) and they'd lock everyone into Windows.

If you think about it, your cell phone could be your CPU and hard drive (it's starting to happen with cell phones now), so in reality you are dealing with the brain and memory being in your cell phone and the form-factor (keyboard and monitor) to an external accessory.
    They wouldn't fit in my hip belt clip . . . . .
    Sort of cuts against the one device & portability concept. . . . .
    If I was going to carry a monitor and a keyboard, as well as, the Treo, I would by one of the ultra thin laptops instead. . . .

However, might work for some people like the laptop "docking stations" . . .
    I wouldn't carry it on my belt clip. I'd carry it instead of my laptop. I wouldn't need to buy an ultra-thin laptop (saving $2K+) and make sure it's charge for 3 hours of use.
    Battery consumption would be an issue, unless the monitor had it's own power supply. . . then you would have that stuff to carry.. .. . . how long would the monitor last on a 3 hour plan ride? (Wow, normally I am so upbeat, sorry.)

I did have the ultra thin portable keyboard with my T3, but I do not need that with the Treo.
    Yeah the monitor would have it's own rechargable power supply (and it would last for a really long time, 2+ days - see my previous post). The whole point would be that you'd have the monitor and keyboard to carry, much like a laptop. Think laptop replacement... same as your laptop, but with the guts of the cell phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHINMJ
    Blue tooth would fry trying to send that signal. It would have to be some type of wire connection which would require another jack of some kind. Noteing palms fondness for that 2.5 micro plug, it would be a disaster waiting to happen. I bet the resolution would get a little fuzzy also.
    All true, imagine a serial connection that doesn't connect via bluetooth.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    It's a very smart idea to have something that I carry around with me all the time (a cell phone) be the guts of my laptop.
    EXACTLY!!

Just walk toward your UWB monitor/keyboard/mouse combo at home and when you're within a certain range....they instantly turn on!! Go to work, same thing there....your computer's with you at all times. No need to transfer files....except like I said earlier, we'd all prolly have a massive media storage device that we use as an ftp server almost. That is....until we have 50TB SD cards, of course!
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    If you want a larger screen and an external keyboard, why not just use a laptop with the Treo for DUN? It would probably be cheaper than a dedicated Treo display.
    Requires that I have a laptop..
    Quote Originally Posted by t2gungho
    If you look at what I posted earlier, it might make more sense.

If I had a smartphone that had a larger screen (like the PPC 6600) then not only would I want the bt keyboard to do a lot of word processing but I also would want the bt mouse so I would essentially have a 'laptop' experience (PM Hobbes about this...he loves it).

Hope that clears it up.
    ok, if a little bigger screen is what you want then wouldnt this idea suffice:

give the treo a slide open display, simitar to the tungsten t3, where you see a square portion of the screen for the general use of the phone. then you slide (expand) open the display to reveal a larger portion of the screen. increased resolution and screen size would be very beneficial (imagine if they went to a 640x480 display in expanded position, 480x480 in phone position) without increasing the size of the phone.
    then simply add the profiles to use bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you are done. another idea would be to make a larger keyboard that mounted to and also propped up the treo (on its side). have a usb port on the side of the keyboard for a mouse and you are good to go.

just an idea...personally i think this would be better than having another screen to carry around.
    Last edited by BigKenny; 07/30/2005 at 01:25 AM.
    ok, if a little bigger screen is what you want then wouldnt this idea suffice:

give the treo a slide open display, simitar to the tungsten t3, where you see a square portion of the screen for the general use of the phone. then you slide (expand) open the display to reveal a larger portion of the screen. increased resolution and screen size would be very beneficial (imagine if they went to a 640x480 display in expanded position, 480x480 in phone position) without increasing the size of the phone.
    then simply add the profiles to use bluetooth keyboard and mouse and you are done. another idea would be to make a larger keyboard that mounted to and also propped up the treo (on its side). have a usb port on the side of the keyboard for a mouse and you are good to go.

just an idea...personally i think this would be better than having another screen to carry around.
    Well...if we're talkin' about VGA on a phone, I think that a clamshell device would be a little bit better. And if you don't want to carry the external monitor around, a clamshell device would also be better for setting on a table/tray/what-have-you so that you can see the screen while you're typing. You can't do that with a sliding screen 650 (at least not well). So then all you'd need to tote around are clamshell phone and bluetooth keyboard/mouse. CLAMSHELL!!! WHERE YOU AT, DAWG??

But I think point of this thread has morphed into using your smartphone as your only PC. It doesn't get much more personal than your phone! In a couple more years, a large external monitor will definitely be possible.
    the processor is only 312 mhz, replacing my laptop with my treo right now would be painfull! i will not argue with how many times it has saved me the trouble of taking out my laptop, however.
    i personally owned an HP Jornada 720 for a long time. It used to be my favorite handheld. then, i sold it on ebay for the treo. the reasoning was simple. the treo was newer with much better support, updated software and hardware. the jornada, however, had a 640x480 display, a touch-typeable keyboard, and a true 9-hours battery. it was practically laptop replacement, although it ran Windows CE. if the jornada had better hardware, the latest Microsoft OS, and phone, there is no way i'd be here typing this.

i know i'm alienating myself from 98% of all of you, by saying that. but my needs are different. the phone functionality comes second to me. believe it or not i recieve an average of 0-3 calls a day, only!

that's why i loved my jornada. but i can live with the treo, it's such an awesome device, too.
    treo 650 + SanDisk Ultra II 2GB
    in the process of selling the treo 650 and buying Qtek 9100.
    the processor is only 312 mhz, replacing my laptop with my treo right now would be painfull! i will not argue with how many times it has saved me the trouble of taking out my laptop, however.
    Processor speed doesn't matter if the OS doesn't have to support multitasking and such. I've never really thought that my Treo is too slow.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast