1.    #1  
    Is there a way to install the maps to a 2 gig memory card, without having to go through sync, I have a memory card reader, and I am using a Macintosh, Navigator 5
    I thought I read that after syncing the first map when you go to install another it then gives you the option to transfer the map to a card reader. I've only installed one map so I can't verify.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I picked, from the setup on the TomTom map disk:
    Add Maps
    Map I wanted to add
    Other Location
    Folder on the Computer, I picked C:\

Then I used my card reader/writer to just copy the hard drive directory and the files in it , to the root on my SD Card.

Took about a minute to write to the hard drive and about 5-6 per map set to move them to the SD Card.
    Last edited by Meinken; 07/28/2005 at 06:13 PM.
  4.    #4  
    the install to "other location" does not seem to be an option with the Macintosh version of the installer<Guess I should just be greatful I do not have to borrow a windows machine to get it installed in the first place
  5.    #5  
    support responce from tom tom

You will be able to sync the whole map if you can get access to a windows computer. For some reason one of the attributes that you would choose while doing it does not show up when using a mac.

Kind Regards,

TomTom USA Customer Service
    Hmm. That's like a doctor trying to equate the identification of an illness with a cure.
    Hey guys I'm trying to install a map to the SD card and it's giving me a "Unable to create handheld database. SyncCreateDB returned 4019." hotsync error. I tried using my card reader to move the map directory directly to the root of my card and I get an error there too, something like "Can not create directory". Any help/advice would be appreciated.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't search well enough...I resisted my urge to act like a noob, did a 2nd search and found the answer.
    My Treo's Stats:
    650 Unlocked/Unbranded GSM <br>1.71 Firmware w/ 1.20 ENA
    Carrier: Cingular
    Current BT Headset: Treo Wireless
    GPS: TomTom5 + BT338
    Ok now I don't get any hotsync errors but I still can't seem to install a map. I've tried to install one to the internal memory and SD card via hotsync and card reader and nothing shows up. Can anyone tell me where map files should be located in the internal memory and/or SD?
    My Treo's Stats:
    Try installing the maps to a directory on your PC (that way you have a backup, too).

Then just copy the folder for the map to the root of your SD card....
    Example of a map folder: Colorado-Map
    Quote Originally Posted by mogulman
    Try installing the maps to a directory on your PC (that way you have a backup, too).

Then just copy the folder for the map to the root of your SD card....
    Example of a map folder: Colorado-Map
    Thanks for the reply mogul. I tried this and get an error when trying to copy the folder to the root of my card. It seems I can't create a directory in the root of the card. Is this normal?
    My Treo's Stats:
    My maps are on the SD card. The one that I loaded using hotsync is in a directory called Tom Tom CA_NV. The CA_NV would vary depending on the map you load. Other maps that I've loaded directly to the SD using the other location function are in directories with just the map name (such as major roads of america). There is no Tom Tom preface on these directories. I installed the program to internal memory but don't think I would do so again. From other posts, it seems the program works as well from the SD.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrfaris
    My maps are on the SD card. The one that I loaded using hotsync is in a directory called Tom Tom CA_NV. The CA_NV would vary depending on the map you load. Other maps that I've loaded directly to the SD using the other location function are in directories with just the map name (such as major roads of america). There is no Tom Tom preface on these directories. I installed the program to internal memory but don't think I would do so again. From other posts, it seems the program works as well from the SD.
    Is this TomTom map directory in the root of your SD card along with PALM and DCIM? I'm trying to figure out where hotsync could possibly be putting this directory because I just don't see it nor does TomTom recognize any maps even though hotsync says it successfully sync'd them.
    My Treo's Stats:
    Yes it is. All of the map directories are in the root. There is also a directory that is simply Tom Tom. It seems to contain the voice files (.vif & .chk).
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/04/2005 at 11:30 AM.
    Thanks for the reply jr. I solved my problem....for some reason my SD wasn't letting me create directories so I had to empty it and then it let me create directories for some reason. Anyway, your reply helped a lot so I could understand where exactly the directories needed to be. Thanks again.
    My Treo's Stats: