1.    #1  
    I am looking for a Bluetooth headset to go with my Treo. This being my first foray into Bluetooth and reading about how "delicate" the Bluetooth stack is on the Treo I was hoping to tap into the vast experience of the TreoCentral readers to get some input on which headsets would fit best with my needs. If you are reading this and have some experience with Bluetooth headsets and the Treo I would appreciate any comments you may have.

The place I plan on using the headset 90% of the time is in my car. That being said it is a normal four-door sedan, not a convertibile, and I don't have a problem closing the windows/sunroof if noise is a problem. Also, I normally keep my Treo in my left front pants pocket and the way I adjust my seat is such that the seatbelt makes it very difficult to get access to my Treo while driving (even more so when shifting alot, like in city traffic).

With this in mind I am looking for the following features:

* The headset must have the ability to answer calls without touching the Treo; further I want the ability to decide if I want to take the call, i.e. I should have to press a button on the headset to answer the call, I do not want the headset to automatically pickup.

* I want the headset to respond to calls quickly.

* Considering the environment I am in noise filtering and loud speaker volume are huge pluses.

* I want an open ear design, i.e. no eargels.

* Being able to redial directly from the headset is a plus.

* Voice dialing is a big plus.

Suggestions anyone?
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    There is already a ton of information in the existing ttreads that should answer your questions. You will find however that what works for one person may not work for you. The performance of bluetooth headsets seems to be very inconsistent from one Treo to the next. Then of course there is personal preference and perception. As the saying goes, YMMV.
    GSM Treo 600 > Unlocked GSM Treo 650 on T-Mobile - Attempting to use a BB Curve

Technology is neither good nor evil, good people will find good uses for it and evil people will find evil uses for it. Phil P.
    Since you're going to use it in your car, 90% of the time...you might prefer a car kit.

I'm putting one together for a little less than $80 (after shipping)...but I'm not sure about recommending it to others yet as I haven't tested the cable/cradle I've ordered yet. It should be here within the next week.

For more of an idea of what I'm doing, you can check out my posts in these threads:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90343
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=90689
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=91062

If you interested in something like that...I'd suggest waiting a week to see how reliable the setup is.

Otherwise, if you must have a headset....I'd get a 2-in-1 Seidio headset adapter and use any pair of headphones/earbuds I wanted. I think the bluetooth headsets are too expensive...and you'll prolly lose/forget the bluetooth whenever you need it.

I know that voice dial is not possible with bluetooth headsets unless you use Sprint's (or whatever carrier you have) $5/mo voice service option.

I'm pretty sure voice dialing is possible with normal headsets, but again I'm not positive.

Another plus to the Seidio 2-in-1 Hybrid Adapter is that you can record your phone calls with it.
    I'm looking for the same thing, use in car, treo in pocket, pickup by button, and voice dial. I'm on Verizon.
    The headset adapter is no good, because the treo is hidden deeply in textile when the unexpected call in the car arrives. Digging out the treo, untangling the wire and cabling yourself up will definitely cause a wreck.
    Any help is appreciated!

g.
    Rather than link you to numerous other discussion threads (in which I may have already posted) I'll mention that I've tried four headsets with the Treo 650: The SE HBH-660, the Jabra BT200, the Logitech Mobile Headset and the Logitech Mobileheadset Pro.

From a usability/clarity standpoint I'd order them in this manner:

1. Logitech Mobileheadset Pro
    2. SE HBH-660
    3. Jabra BT200
    4. Logitech Mobileheadset.

The Logitech Mobileheadset Pro uses a Lithium Ion battery and as result has much better standby and talk times than the other three. Also I can hear better on the newer Logitech than I could on any of the other headsets. People on the other end of the phone prefer the quality of my voice better while using the Logitech and the Treo transfers calls to the new Logitech as fast if not faster than any of the other three.

If you want more information on any of these headsets PM me and I'll try to answer any questions you might have
  6.    #6  
    Believe it or not I did spend about an hour digging around in the forum here trying to get a better understanding of Bluetooth headsets and the Treo and unfortunately I wasn't able to find answers for many of the questions I had. Hence my posting.

There was a lot of talk about sound quality and noise filtering and from what I can gather Logitech seems to be the big winner here; the Mobile, Mobile Pro or Mobile Freedom get lots of forum time on the sound quality threads. However, as far as features go (does it support the hands-free profile or only the headset profile?) I haven't been able to dig up a lot of postings. Do I have an option of answering by a button on the headset? Can I redial from the headset? How quickly does the headset pickup? Etc, etc, etc.

To the person who responded with the car kit: thanks for the idea. I had been leaning towards that in the beginning but I have decided that I like the flexibility of the headset and prefer not to clutter up the interior of my car with cables, cradles, and speakers.

So, anybody care to talk about the *features* of their headsets? Or was there a good thread that already did this that I missed?

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Autoanswering w/the BT head set is a preference setting in the phone. It can be set to answer immediatly,never, after 1 or 2 rings. If you want to only answer by pressing the button on the headset, set it to disable.

For voice dialing, there is currently no BT headset that will do voice dialing with the Treo. Previous messages have said this is a problem with the Treo implementation of BT and that it is being worked on. Not date for a fix was given.

I use the Treo Wireless Headset and it will redial from the headset, and responds quickly when making and receiving calls. It does have an open ear design, but I have not used it in a noisy environment, so I cannot vouch for noise filtering.
    Quote Originally Posted by geek4711
    I'm looking for the same thing, use in car, treo in pocket, pickup by button, and voice dial. I'm on Verizon.
    The headset adapter is no good, because the treo is hidden deeply in textile when the unexpected call in the car arrives. Digging out the treo, untangling the wire and cabling yourself up will definitely cause a wreck.
    Well...I'm hoping to solve that problem by making it habit to put the phone in its cradle on my dash so that I won't have to dig. I just set it in there and instantly it starts to charge and I put some tunes on that I've got stored on the SD card. When somebody calls...the music automatically stops and I just press a button to answer.

It solves the problem of using a bluetooth headset because of its limited functionality...all you can do is answer it. Pretty lame, IMO. If you've got it on the dash...you can dial other peoples names, have a nice UI, add GPS later, or whatever it is you wanna do.

But to each his own.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmoore
    To the person who responded with the car kit: thanks for the idea. I had been leaning towards that in the beginning but I have decided that I like the flexibility of the headset and prefer not to clutter up the interior of my car with cables, cradles, and speakers.
    I don't really see much flexibility from a bluetooth headset. And my solution for a car kit wouldn't clutter up the interior of your car. It would add a cradle, but I think that adds a characteristic of class. You'd have a car charger, right?? So, just that one cable would be seen. And it'd use your car's speakers, so it'd sound professional and wouldn't add that clutter.

But again...to each his own, I guess.
    Treo Wireless headset here. Works well for me although have not tried any others. Like the fact that it uses the same power connector as the phone and does pickup calls quickly. You can also put the caller on hold I think with the TWH. One negative is some issue with redialing once in a while from the phone where it won't transfer to the headset...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Which BT car kit did you finally settle on and are you happy with it?
    Mark Bergman
    Are you talking to me??

If you are...I just received that cradle that's sold on ebay this past monday.

The three things of note are: (1)The microphone sucked (2)It wouldn't charge when in the cradle (3)It was a beech to open that cradle up as there were magnets over the screw heads...so I more or less broke the thing beyond attraction.

I'm ordering another one and now know where to use a dremel to get the magnets out so I can unscrew the bottom properly. I'll replace the microphone with a $2 or $3 one from radioshack (got a unidirectional and omnidrectional to see which one will sound best; thinkin' unidirectional since it's a cradle)....and hopefully adjust the adapter so that I can get some power!!

I'm also going to order the seidio one whenever they get the audio-out problem fixed and/or others say it would work well (i.e. - the phone would fit snugly) on my dash. Whichever one works better in the car, I'll keep there....and obviously, I'll use the other on my desk. I've never realy wanted a cradle on my desk before, but maybe I'll like it more than expected.

As soon as I get either of the cradles working perfectly (and I guarantee I will...it just might take awhile due to shipping) I'll start a new thread documenting all steps needed to take.
    I like my HS850
    I second the choice of the HS850. While it only supports the Headset profile with treo, it has good call quality on both ends while in the car with the A/C turned up. It's also very comfortable.
    I have it set on Disable, but the BT headset still picks up the phone automatically.
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Please where can I buy Logitech Mobileheadset Pro at a reasonable price?
    I got mine at Amazon for about $67, but they've raised their price to $79 now. Buy.com and Newegg.com still have it for under $70. I've bought from both before and didn't have bad experiences.

http://shopper.cnet.com/Logitech_Mob...-31248423.html