1.    #1  
    All,

I have an enormous amount of medical e-books and references stored on my memory card and accessed via Z-Launcher. I have guarded my T600 from any harm or neglect because of memory issues on the T650 and because my T600 medical applications are now an indespensable part of my medical life.

Recently, I developed a large dead spot on my screen near the phone pad 8 key that has interfered with my use of the phone. Since I had a CompUSA warranty, I took it back to replace with a new 600. To my chagrin, they no longer carry the T600 and will replace with a T650. Some of you would die to be in a position like this, but I am reluctant.

Without reinventing the wheel and searching in thise forums, I am trying to understand how to migrate from my T600 to the T650 WITHOUT loosing all the medical applications on the memory card and getting back the alias Z-Launcher created for each of them. I understand the migration process to the new phone well, but do not want to loose all this information. Can anyone of you, smarter than I, give me a readers digest version of how to do this with Z-launcher? I will continue with Sprint and have a large address database as well, in excess of 800 contacts. Currently I have about 5 meg free on the main memory using Z-Launcher. My phone is strictly business and has no games of any kind and is a workhorse for me. My medical use of the phone is almost exclusive. To date I do not feel that I can do a clinical shift without using one of the many databases stored here.

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to make this transition over a time when I have a few days off. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    I do not use zlauncher, so I cannot help there.

However -- DO NOT just sync the new 650 to your old 600 user id, you will turn the 650 into a brick.

Best bet is a new user id for the 650, beam your PIM data (contacts, memos, appointments, tasks . . . . . .), over to the 650 from the 600 and reinstall (not a copy from a backup) all 3rd party software from scratch. In this case, an ounce of pervention is worth many pounds of cure. It sounds like most of your data is on the SD card, that can just be inserted into the 650 and accessed with the newly installed software.

If your 3rd party software is protected, you will probably need new unlock keys from the developers because: 1. the new device and 2. the new user id.

Good Luck, you WILL love the 650.

BTW -- what ever service provider it is (Sprint, Verizon, Cingular. . . .), do the update to the latest firmware first. (Much, much simplier on an empty Treo.)

Cheers, Perry.
  3.    #3  
    Perry,

Thanks for your reply! Somewhere in these forums, a long time ago, there was a post about using the Z-launcher for large files when the 650 was first released. Someone even suggested using it as a migration tool back when. I have searched here under Z-launcher and migrate as a search term and have failed. As much as I hate to do this, I think that you are right about the unlock keys. I was hoping to avoid this and hence, my migration to the card for most of the e-books. Unfortunately most of the e-books require an install to the main RAM and then use z-launcher to migrate to the card.

I hope that others with experience with the "Z" will input here. As much as I would love at 650, I do not have the kind of time it would take to migrate all this stuff. It is like an attic full of medical information!

Regards,

Jim C
    Good Luck! If the zLauncher is not the answer. . . . Beam the PIM info over to the 650 and see if you can access anything on the card with zlauncher.

If that is not the answer -- just set aside 10 minutes a day(I know, my free time is from midnight to 1AM and I usually choose sleep.) to do some transfers, you will get there in no time. It usually takes me two weeks of portioned out restore and reload operations to get my home PC "reloaded" after getting a new one. PDAs/Treos require much less.

It might be a nice way to re-acquaint yourself with your collection of data: "Oh, I forgot I had that" or "Oh yeah, I wanted to update this one."

Cheers, Perry.

Now, I am wondering out loud: Do you have a backup program like backupbuddy? I am wondering if you can selectively restore your zlauncher aliases to the 650 from a backup of the 600 on the SD card. (Do not load the 650 this way, though, you will get the brick.)
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/29/2005 at 06:19 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Perry,

Thanks again! Yes I have not only BackUpBuddy but also FlyZip. To say that I am overly backed up would be an understatement. I even have a PC backup of my SD card! Call me OC!!!

I never thought of doing a selective restore of the 650 but it should be easy since the alias files are all marked with an asterisk. Have you tried this yourself with BackupBuddy? I fully realize that FlyZip does not work with the 650 unless someone has changed the program. I used both because I travel a lot and need to keep my information safe. I usually travel with two SD cards that are mirror images of each other.

Let me know what you think or others in this forum as well. I am interested in the outcome. I am sure that there are others in a similar situation. If I could only find that old post about the Z-launcher stuff. All my e-books run from the card via their aliases.

Regards,

Jim C
    Hi Jim! No, I have never tried the selective restore of zlaucner alias files, but it should not get you in an as much trouble as restoring Treo 600 saved preference files to the 650. I do not use zlauncher -- but the thought came to me as I was closing the post. I just installed Backup Buddy last week, so I do not have much experience there, either.

(I have the PC back up of my SD card, as well. . . . . )

Good Luck.
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/29/2005 at 12:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCJ
    All,

I have an enormous amount of medical e-books and references stored on my memory card and accessed via Z-Launcher. I have guarded my T600 from any harm or neglect because of memory issues on the T650 and because my T600 medical applications are now an indespensable part of my medical life.

Recently, I developed a large dead spot on my screen near the phone pad 8 key that has interfered with my use of the phone. Since I had a CompUSA warranty, I took it back to replace with a new 600. To my chagrin, they no longer carry the T600 and will replace with a T650. Some of you would die to be in a position like this, but I am reluctant.

Without reinventing the wheel and searching in thise forums, I am trying to understand how to migrate from my T600 to the T650 WITHOUT loosing all the medical applications on the memory card and getting back the alias Z-Launcher created for each of them. I understand the migration process to the new phone well, but do not want to loose all this information. Can anyone of you, smarter than I, give me a readers digest version of how to do this with Z-launcher? I will continue with Sprint and have a large address database as well, in excess of 800 contacts. Currently I have about 5 meg free on the main memory using Z-Launcher. My phone is strictly business and has no games of any kind and is a workhorse for me. My medical use of the phone is almost exclusive. To date I do not feel that I can do a clinical shift without using one of the many databases stored here.

Any help would be appreciated as I am trying to make this transition over a time when I have a few days off. http://discussion.treocentral.com/im...s/confused.gif
    If it is just the ebooks you are concerned about, you should be ok. The alias' for those will be a breeze to restore. However if they are Skyscape reference applications, then it could be a bit trickier.

Some good advice above, in short:

DO NOT just HS over your new 650 with the old 600...
    DO NOT attempte to restore your 600 data from SD to your 650 if you backed up with any background programs running, ie ClipPro, McPhling, Crash, etc... they can jack a restore

DO update your 650 the newest firmware before you HS all your data...
    DO remove all the backup folder from your PC so that no old 600 only files get restored to your 650 when you do finally HS...

First do a final sync of your 600,
    uninstall the 600 Palm Desktop HS software,
    install the 650 Palm Desktop HS software,
    remove your backup folder from the HSID subdirectory in the Palm folder,
    update to the newest firmware on the 650 using a temp HSID,
    sync the 650 over to get your PIM data
    then restore selectively your book alias', should be one fell swoop if you use RESCO Explorer

There are other ways to do this, and I could be forgetting somethings, not feeling to well today, good luck. Think it through and be careful not to rely on just one method of backup and restore, they have the nastiest habits of not working when you need them the most!

A final tip would be to to try out both Resco Explorer (as it can easily restore multiple files in one fell swoop using drag and drop) and Resco backup (it has proven more reliable to me then BackupBuddyVFS Pro lately)

You could use them both throughout this upgrade process and not spend a penny on them as you would be in the free trial. My thouhgts are that you would find them indispensible...

Good luck.
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
  8.    #8  
    Matty,

Thanks for the reply AND for the quote. I needed both. You must know SkyScape and therefore I am assuming that you are also a health care persona. I have many SkyScape apps including the Washington Manual, Special Operations Forces Medical Handbook and a myriad of others. Since you broached the issue, how do you migrate them, or do I need to ask the kind folks at SkyScape for new passwords and probably more money? I am not familiar with the Resco product (I will be thought) but will look at it in my further reading.

I GREATLY appreciate your detailed migration plan. It differs quite a bit from the ones outlined by Palm and other here. I will try these and reply as the need arises. Thanks again.

Regards,

JimC
    I think Zlauncher has a command called "update shortcuts" which will re-setup all the aliases in the Zlauncher directory.

Problem solved.