Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Ok. This thread is to discuss the advantages/disadvantages/similarities/differences between the new Cingular 1.15 update and the Unlocked ROW 1.13 update. I am using an unlocked Cingular-branded Treo 650 and have too been dying for an update like all of you. However, I did go with the 1.13 ROW update when it came out. There were a few reasons for my decision. My phone is now unlocked so it is free to use any GSM service in the world. I am currently using my phone with Cingular, but I figured it would be nice to take off all the Cingular splash screens and advertisements and have the stock or plain branding that Palm intended it to have. I also thought it would free up space by keeping Cingular-specific files off (i.e. Xpressmail). I am happy with 1.13 at the moment. I realize the firmware is newer on the new Cingular update (1.31) compared to the Unlocked ROW (1.28). This is the only thing making me consider upgrading. But I do believe that if anything there will be more upcoming ROW updates than Cingular updates in the near future due to the constant delays of Cingular updates.

However, I am looking to get input from others who had Unlocked ROW 1.13 and then chose to install the new Cingular 1.15 update over. What do you guys think about it. Is there any reason you feel anyone SHOULD update to the new update? Is there any reason NOT to? Would you go back to 1.13? Will you stay?

I want this thread to be a discussion on the choice we GSMers have between the two. So feel free to pick a side and argue for that side. I want to get as much input as possible.
    I like the new Cingular 1.15 because:

1. The side button now ignores incoming calls (like it did before I ROWed it).
    2. You can assign custom waves to favorites and have them work properly (unlike my ROW 1.13, where it would let me assign them, it just wouldnt work).
    3. I have a little bit more memory (like 500K or so).
    4. Bluetooth DUN is available.
    5. There is a Phone_ATT_prc file floating around that gets rid of the Cingular spash screen and puts back the generic Treo screen, plus adds duration times to the call log.
    6. Obfuscate hides those annoying icons nicely.

I think that's it. I'll add more as I learn more.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  3.    #3  
    hey does the Cingular 1.15 have call durations in the call log? i know this was added to the 1.13 ROW update. you write that the Phone_ATT_prc adds that.. so does that mean without it the 1.15 update has no call durations?
    Yup.
    Cingular Treo 650
  5.    #5  
    yup as in yup it does have call durations or yup as yup it doesnt
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    ., so does that mean without it the 1.15 update has no call durations?
    Yup.

Without the custom PRC 1.15 has no call durations on the log.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I am in exactly the same boat as the original poster. I would more specifically be interested to know if there is any hardware differences between the devices??? My SIM-Unlocked, ROW updated treo should be identical to a treo bought directly from Palm, No???
  8.    #8  
    JpMaxMan: is your treo cingular branded?
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Got a pointer to the Phone_ATT_prc for 1.15? A search here doesn't locate it and the other place I checked (Shadowmite's forum) doesn't have it. (All I can find there is the older one.)
  10.    #10  
    that sucks, why would they leave out call duration on the new update?
    Quote Originally Posted by lazieboss
    JpMaxMan: is your treo cingular branded?
    It is a Cingular branded Treo. I got the SIM unlock code from Cingular and unlocked my SIM. I also installed the Unlocked Treo650-1.13-ROW Firmware 1.28 when it came out. So, I have cleared my phone of all the cingular junk.

It works OK. I do get lock ups time and again - esepcially when I go in and out of service (read up and down from the subway). It seems a little clunkier, but the sound quality is better. I don't really have any apps on it except for Goodlink.
  12.    #12  
    im still debating whether or not this cingular 1.15 update is worth it... to update or not to update..
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    2. You can assign custom waves to favorites and have them work properly (unlike my ROW 1.13, where it would let me assign them, it just wouldnt work).
    Can you elaborate on this??? I upgraded mine and as far as the upgrade goes, it all went just fine.. No problems.. However, I still can't assign anything but midi files to my favorites.. I have tried both wave files as well as amr files. I would love this to work...
    Great.... no call duration how stupid is that? I just found that out.
    I like the cingular hello/goodby radio on/off logos...... but that file that fixes the duration in the log puts the generic treo on/off logos
    On my third glass of wine, thinking I should upgrade.
    Quote Originally Posted by gojeeping
    Can you elaborate on this??? I upgraded mine and as far as the upgrade goes, it all went just fine.. No problems.. However, I still can't assign anything but midi files to my favorites.. I have tried both wave files as well as amr files. I would love this to work...
    In my favorites screen I just hit Edit Favorite, and choose a wav file from the list as the ringer. I emailed myself the hello-treo.wav file floating around, and when I loaded the attachment it automatically added it to my list of ringtones. Before 1.15 I could choose it from the Edit Favorite Button screen, but it wouldn't work. Now it does.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Viewing stored images in the camera application is significantly faster for me in 1.31 v. 1.28
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Got a pointer to the Phone_ATT_prc for 1.15? A search here doesn't locate it and the other place I checked (Shadowmite's forum) doesn't have it. (All I can find there is the older one.)
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...t=Phone_ATT%2A
    Cingular Treo 650
    I have a related problem. I performed the upgrade from 1.13 ROW to 1.15 CNB. Everything in the proces seemed to be okay ,but after the process is finished, the Phone Info screen still reads 1.13 ROW. I'm guessing it actually upgraded because I now have the GetGood file, which I certainly didn't have before. You think it's okay like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzi
    I have a related problem. I performed the upgrade from 1.13 ROW to 1.15 CNB. Everything in the proces seemed to be okay ,but after the process is finished, the Phone Info screen still reads 1.13 ROW. I'm guessing it actually upgraded because I now have the GetGood file, which I certainly didn't have before. You think it's okay like this?
    Do the upgrade again. The 2nd time it will read the correct firmware version.
    Cingular Treo 650
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast