Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Since I use Google Maps often and I use my Treo 650 all the time, I thought it would be nice to have some of Google Maps on my Treo. Google Maps implementation is heavy on AJAX and no Treo 650 web browser to my current knowledge is able to handle Google Maps the way they are handled in the non-handheld browsers (at least my Xiino and Blazer aren't able to handle them).

So, I decided to add some of Google Maps functionality on Treo 650. KMaps application is free for download for Treo 650 users from http://gmapsontreo.blogspot.com Give it a try. Feedback is welcomed...
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    Holy cow! I'm DLing Java and KMaps right now. This looks superb! Just what I'm looking for. Thanks for the good work on this, Ivan!

-Wumped
    WOW. This is very cool!

I have TomTom navigator so I don't really need this and the Java files are huge, but this is still very cool. Very good work!
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    having a problem setting the zoom right now. may be the jvm or something. Will play around with it more and give more precise feedback.
    This is cool. Will give it a try!
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    I haven't actually tried your application yet, because I need to install java first. It looks pretty great, though. One thought, though.
    Is there any chance this could be made to work with the traffic integration at http://supergreg.hopto.org/google-yahoo/ ?
    Any chance that this will work on the Treo 600?
    Maybe I could try myself but I'd have to add midlet JVM (IBM WebSphere ... someting) and I don't know the link to get the latest version. Past posts said this was free for Tungsten users. Does anyone have a link that they recently used for a free or a paid version of the JVM?

thanks, -- Bob

EDIT1: I followed the URL and see that it hasn't been tested on T600 yet.
    Also the URL gave a link for the JVM. I'll go ahead and see if I can free up enough memory to load the JVM and this.
    ... Bob

EDIT2: Yes it works! I still have to experiment with this before saying more.
    Last edited by sudoer; 08/19/2005 at 08:39 PM.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    First Post - No Avatar (obviously) WOW - This is fantastic stuff - My wife is going to so jealous until I put it on her 650

Thanks for a "Good Thing"
    This is so great! I love it. Once I discovered the the 5-way navigator would move the map around, I was really hooked!
    One thing - the menu option doesn't do anything once you have a map on the screen. Am I write that if you want to map a new address, you just need to hit the Palm Home button and start KMaps again?
    Is it really 3.6 MB to install Java like they say?
    Yikes.
    Hmm....finally!! What took you so long imitrovic?? J/K!

Will be trying shortly.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by pqfnb2
    This is so great! I love it. Once I discovered the the 5-way navigator would move the map around, I was really hooked!
    One thing - the menu option doesn't do anything once you have a map on the screen. Am I write that if you want to map a new address, you just need to hit the Palm Home button and start KMaps again?
    Read the tutorial there are several options while on the Map. Hit "B" to get back, out of the map. Hit "H" to get the msall character back home in case it wanders around. Hit "L" to get the distance and walking time from the point of origin to your walking character...
  13.    #13  
    By the way, there is a new version as of this morning that lets you save addresses and limit the size of the map to be downloaded from Google...
    Works on the Treo 600, with some caveats. Scrolling is a bit flaky - I can't seem to move the map back up with the 5-way. The menu key does not appear to work when there's a map on display. Also, Google's standard syntax (address-comma-city-comma-state does not appear to function. The only way out of the app seems to be the app key - I can't choose a new map, it seems.

And yes, it runs off the SD card.

But it's pretty neat. Thanks, imitrovic.
    Last edited by shneor; 07/28/2005 at 05:22 PM.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    This is great! Thanks imitrovic. I got it going this morning and it works perfect. This is going to be very helpful. Just one question. Can any of this the app or the java stuff go on the card.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Ohhhh... I can't wait to get home, load Java and fire this one up! Thanks Ivan!
    Quote Originally Posted by imitrovic
    Read the tutorial there are several options while on the Map. Hit "B" to get back, out of the map. Hit "H" to get the msall character back home in case it wanders around. Hit "L" to get the distance and walking time from the point of origin to your walking character...
    Thanks for pointing that out.
    Would you consider putting the list of shortcut keys in the program maybe in the future? Maybe in the drop-down help?

I've been mapping things for two days now. Thanks!
    doesn't work with tzones (no place to put in a proxy)

oh well, tzones is only $5/mth and DA works.
    This is a general google map question. When I put in an address that I know exists google maps cant find it. What could be the problem?
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    This is a general google map question. When I put in an address that I know exists google maps cant find it. What could be the problem?
    Oh google knows it's there alright!! You're prolly typing it in a format google doesn't understant though. For example, some addresses are actually labeled "21-41st Street" but google doesn't recognize that dash....must be "21 41st Street". I'm sure there's other stuff that varies.

If you mess around with it and still can't get google to find it, then you could prolly contact somebody at google and inform them of this glitch in the matrix.
Page 1 of 26 12345611 ... LastLast