Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
    Are you able to access Settings?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    yes i can get to settings - lets me set map storage location (card), email, search provider, distance unit. I can do this from main search screen or hitting C in map mode.
    Unlocked 650 on Cingular
    SE HBH-660
    Firmware: 01.71
    Software: Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Hardware: A
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I uninstalled KMaps and installed ver 1.0.1 on the SD Card (all 3 files). The program generally works (as did the ver 1.0). So, I'd guess that my Java is installed correctly (in the Treo RAM).

But something is not right.

On running 1st time, it asked for the e-mail address and password. But I cannot get the setting page to display. Help -> Settings does nothing. Pressing C (for configuration) when a map is displayed does nothing either.

Ani deas on how to make sure that the program gets installed correctly?
    The same here. Lookup in contacts and settings menu show no form...
    Well, played with it. Cool idea and looks very good, but, unfortunately useless yet.

here's why:

well, can't bring up settings - so all by default
    can't find any adress but city. E.g. I type Sunnyvale - it drops me somwhere on El Camino and Mathilda (which is not very far from me), but I can't put down the exact adress.
    Directions wouldn't work too. I mean they give a result, but it is not true, obvious. E.g. I'm trying to get directions from Sunnyvale to Salinas, and it give some 10 sm directions and times like a second or even 0.1 second. I wish I was at this level of technology development!

Well, most probably I'm missing something (like a manual :-), but if it's possible to do what I want it is absolutely not intuitive. Or maybe I'm asking too much? :-)

Anyway, I'm very exited about having an application like this. Thanks a lot for this!
    This has to be the one of the best apps I have seen ever for the Treo! Congrats on such a great application! What a testament to Google though for the "openess" of their maps application! BTW, maybe you should give Google and/or NAVTEQ copyright credit for the map info in your application when showing the results to keep them happy???

KMaps is better than da although I still will be a big user of it as you need to have both (but they could be combined and go against just Google data...now that would be the KILLER app!).

By the way, check out this blog update on KMaps published today which is how I found out about the application ... Mobile Google Maps on the Treo 650
    Last edited by SofTTware; 08/04/2005 at 08:11 PM.
    To all having problems with getting to the settings etc:

Install KMaps (all 3 files) to the Treo RAM, not to the SD card.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by dccharacter
    Well, played with it. Cool idea and looks very good, but, unfortunately useless yet.
    here's why:

well, can't bring up settings - so all by default
    can't find any adress but city. E.g. I type Sunnyvale - it drops me somwhere on El Camino and Mathilda (which is not very far from me), but I can't put down the exact adress.
    Directions wouldn't work too. I mean they give a result, but it is not true, obvious. E.g. I'm trying to get directions from Sunnyvale to Salinas, and it give some 10 sm directions and times like a second or even 0.1 second. I wish I was at this level of technology development!
    Address entry is very simple, just type what you want. Doesn't seem to require any specific format. Also you can enter part of a business name and zip code and it will retrieve a list of businesses that fit. Directions work fine if you are not going too far (say to a local resturant). Longer distances can get very complex. The settings page works fine for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dccharacter
    Well, most probably I'm missing something (like a manual :-), but if it's possible to do what I want it is absolutely not intuitive. Or maybe I'm asking too much? :-)
    Actually, it seems very intuitive to me. Pretty much like using google on the web. Sounds like you have some problems with your installation.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndew
    I set the proxy info in the IBM Java settings in Preferences. works like a charm. I have the 4.99 package of T-zones.
    I've tried the usual 216.155.165.50 port 8080 without any success. Would you mind sharing your settings? TIA
    Color me stupid, but:

How does one use the Location notes? Kmaps 1.1 says:
    ==============
    Public Restroom Locations - You can now review and search for public restorooms local to you.

Celebrity Sightings - You have just seen a Celebrity? Post a Location Note about your Sighting!

Sales - Stumbled upon a good sale? Post a Location Note about it.

Parking expiration time is now set to default 15 minutes - Parking Location Notes will be valid 15 minutes after they are published and will expire automatically afterwards
    ============

Well, how do I look for public restrooms near my house? :-)
    How do I add or look for celebrities or parking spots?

I wish KMaps had a "non-networked" version with basic but easier UI for mapping, diirections and searches. I'm not sure if I want to collaborate with others on a celebrity or parking meter hunt .....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
  10.    #110  
    KMaps version 1.1 is posted on www.alealea.com... Happy mapping... Full offline map mode supported now. Please, update
  11.    #111  
    Location Notes are placed in the Help menu for the moment (during development) and they are accessible only when you have an address retrieved from the search. You can either "Publish Location Notes" or "Get Location Notes" (see Help Menu). When you get an address from your serach, you can then enter Location Notes Mode beacuse Location Notes are based on the location, the actual address that you have pulled from Google.

Nobody forces you to collaborate with the others on the parking hunt or anything else. You may never use those options and you will have your "non-networked" version of KMaps. You have just registered at the beginning so you can use Location Based Notes if needed, but if you never use them, you will never be forced to... If you don't want to use it then don't use it... Simple...
  12.    #112  
    But if you want to look for Public Restrooms around your house, enter the address of your house (or pull one if you have it saved) and then when address is displayed, go to Help on Menu and select Get Location Notes menu item, or Get Parkings... Lots of people used location notes in the previous relese, but nobody is forced to...
    This is going to be extremely useful when I move next month. This is 10 times better than DAs mapquest. Compared to google local, kmaps is a heck of alot better looking, easier to understand, faster, and I plan to make good use of the built in options.

Its awesome that you are giving this away for free but its well worth 20 bucks to me. I was holding off on the paypal thing to make sure this was going to work fine but I would fee like I was ripping you off if I waited any longer because you have made a great application.

Thanks Ivan
    Quote Originally Posted by imitrovic
    But if you want to look for Public Restrooms around your house, enter the address of your house (or pull one if you have it saved) and then when address is displayed, go to Help on Menu and select Get Location Notes menu item, or Get Parkings... Lots of people used location notes in the previous relese, but nobody is forced to...
    I can see how this can be useful..

It is difficult to understand unless you explain it like you did here.

Back to restrooms: Will I get the locations near my house only if others (over time) add this information to the collaborative database?

Or is there a huge database of restroom locations already out there?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    You've got cash
    Ok, I never thought of looking under Help for this. Thanks for pointing that out.

I tried looking for Restrooms near an address retrieved from Google. The program seems to be not responding after I tapped OK on that page titled Select Category. I'll soft reset it after 5-10 minutes...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    It timed out biut took a long time (no resets required).

A progress indicator or something visual may ease the fears of us Treo users (who are always expecting the Treo to crash :-)
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamespaulritter
    You've got cash
    Ditto.

I know this may seem pretty basic, but I have trouble installing the zip file over the air and I don't have a sync cable at work. I have filez, but I don't know how to get that to unzip and install the files (if it can do that). Last time I installed, I had to download the zip, unzip and then upload to a personal website that only I knew about in a hidden directory, pull it down with the Treo, and then delete the files in the hidden directory. There has to be an easier way.
  19.    #119  
    There will be an online database of Location Notes and a way to manage/view/share online Location Notes via PC Browser. I will also add a support where Location Notes can be shared only among groups of people that you entitle to see your Location Notes... There are some databases on the web, however, I can hardly think of anyone that would give you their data for free (beside Amazon that did that with their Web Services)....
    Just to clarify. Only the Kmap.prc file is included this time. Are fileconnect and pimop still required?

Edit: Sorry, now I see the two separate download links for the .prc or the .zip file. Was so eager to get the new version I stopped at the first link. Thanks for continuing to improve this great product...
    Last edited by jrfaris; 08/05/2005 at 11:55 AM.