Page 14 of 26 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    I had trouble with the marker in the wrong location on Treo 650.

Search for Xenia, OH
    It'll place the marker near a different town (Springfield) that is many north of Xenia. I was blaming it on Google..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  2.    #262  
    Hm, I type xenia oh in http://maps.google.com and KMaps and it pretty much shows the same map (RT 35) on W Main St.
    Seems to be working correctly now. I don't know what was different yesterday.

Never mind.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Great program. Thank you.

Two issues:

1. It would be great to be able to have an option to disconnect somewhere in the program or for when exiting the program.

2. It might be me, but I cannot get it to work well when I ask it to search for an address in my Contacts. It only searches through a small number of my Contacts and I'm not able to access the rest. If you think it's just me, any suggestions? Otherwise, that could be improved.

Thanks again.

Michael
  5.    #265  
    It can only display contacts that have an address (city, street etc.). You may want to update your Contacts list with addresses and then you'll be able to get them in KMaps. The Contacts without address are of no use in KMaps (it can't locate them).
    In my earlier post I was referencing a quote from Ivan's blog:

"You can still use 5-nav, but is deprecated and will likely be removed in the future releases".

I'm hoping that the ability to move the map with the 5-nav will not be removed. I hate using the stylus (and would never use my finger - hate fingerprints on the screen) Does anyone else agree?

Thanks to Ivan for all the great work.
    Oh I strongly agree. I will donate again for a verbal contract to always keep the 5way
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by borg359
    Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble getting kmaps to work at all. I've downloaded the JVM and all that, but when I click on the kmaps icon it loads and then spits me back out to the applications chooser. No error messages, no nothing. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm running it on a 650 with the latest sprint software. Thanks!

-borg359
    I get something similar. Here's my tale:

I downloaded kmaps about version 1.0 (it might have been 0.9 if that ever existed). Worked fine, except it would always ask me each time for internet access. I kept upgrading as each new version came out to see if this would get fixed. Never did. J9 prefs only gave me two options - "ask always", or "never allow". Goofy. I downloaded java from Palm in July, so should be the latest version.

Round about 1.0.1 or 1.1 (if I recall the releases), I could no longer run the app.

I would see the Kmaps splash screen, but then a "Throwable" window would pop up, with the following error details:

java.lang.IllegalArgumentException
    at com.ibm.oti.security.midp.PermissionManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.oti.security.midp.PermissionManager.<init>(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.setSecurity(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.launch(Unknown Source)
    at javax.microedition.lcdui.AppManager.main(Unknown Source)

The only choice I have is to quit.

So, kmaps no longer works for me. I have MGmaps, works fine (new version appears to work OK for 650), but it's not as polished as kmaps. Other java apps (that access the web or don't) continue to work fine.

I have performed all types of resets on my device in order to try to recover the kmap capability. I've even attempted the "zero out reset" (you look like an ***** doing it with a stylus in your mouth...), which I don't think is actually doing anything since it comes back within a few seconds (should take a few minutes). After the wipe, I've reinstalled java, then kmaps; it's the only new app on the phone, and it still gives me the same error.

My guess is that the zero-out isn't working, and that java and kmaps figured out how to screw up something in the phone that isn't touched by a hard reset (which doesn't make any sense) and it's making kmaps unusable. Another possibility is that my phone (roadshow purchase) has older hardware that doesn't like something about this newfangled software.

Oh, by the way, I emailed the developer a few times while I was working on figuring this all out, he responded quickly, but we were never able to sort it out. I've quit bugging him since he seems to be getting way too many requests. Looks like the vast majority of people aren't having this serious of a problem with the app.
  9.    #269  
    KMaps doesn't do anything that would in any way affect the Hard reset recovery, that is for sure. I've seen this kind of error submitted by other users... Are you sure that you have the latest Java for Palm? Have you installed properly following the guide on their site? Did you install KMaps.prc as well as 2 other prcs that come with KMaps?

http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/
  10.    #270  
    I have put KMaps Wiki online. The idea is to accommodate for the lack of a decent KMaps tutorial that I didn't have time to write
    and also to talk about Location Aware Services On the Go in general.
    Since I have received a lot of interesting ideas about what features should be added to KMaps from many of you,
    I thought that it would be beneficial to centralize this brainstorming
    into one location.
    In other words, you can now participate in KMaps roadmap by proposing the features you would like to see in KMaps. You can submit Kmaps Tips and User Guides for other sto read.
    You can report bugs through KMaps Wiki, too.
    KMaps Wiki can be accessed at http://kmaps.wikidev.net
    For those not experienced with Wiki, it is pretty much a whiteboard type of collaboration where you can edit pages, write your comments,
    upload images etc. Wiki is really not a discussion board, but rather a collaboration tool for knowledge sharing and is fairly easy to use.
    I have started by adding few skeleton pages and Tutorial On KMaps Route Planning...
  11.    #271  
    Oh, yes, not to forget, 5-way nav should be fully enabled now. You can take the latest "silent" update from http://alealea.com/ivan/maps/KMaps.prc
    Global Posts
    413 Global Posts
    Thanks Ivan!
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by imitrovic
    KMaps doesn't do anything that would in any way affect the Hard reset recovery, that is for sure. I've seen this kind of error submitted by other users... Are you sure that you have the latest Java for Palm? Have you installed properly following the guide on their site? Did you install KMaps.prc as well as 2 other prcs that come with KMaps?

http://www.palm.com/us/support/jvm/
    I have loaded all three prcs every time I've tried from scratch. I downloaded java in july this year (last month). 571, don't know if this is the latest, if someone can confirm that.
    Does anyone else have issues with the correct marker placement on the screen and zoom in/out? I can't reproduce that on my Treo. Can anyone else with Treo 600 confirm this issue?
    Sorry for the false alarm. Marker placement including zoom in/out is working as you'd intended. My other bug reports/enhancement suggestions should all still be valid (line placement being incorrect and not showing distance or time estimate, for instance are still happening), but I figured out why I mistakenly thought marker placement was broken.

First, the location I mapped was incorrectly marked in Google Maps itself. When I checked in google maps, I saw that you located it at the same place, so that's not your bug. Second, when I zoomed, I think I'd used the nav buttons to move the map center. I hadn't noticed that when you made zoom work from map center instead of last marked location (thanks!), that you moved the mark to "zoom center." I thought my last marked location had moved on the map, but it was really that you'd switched to marking the zoom center. So markers and zoom are working as you'd intended them. That said, it would be nice if it were possible to zoom from map center, but not move the marker. That way, if say, I'm trying to get a different zoom level to better see the surroundings for a location I've marked, and don't have to worry about moving around and losing my place. Sorry for the false alarm.

I'd also still like to have line mode work correctly, so any fix you can make to having the line start at the marker instead of a bit off from it, and making it so I can see the distance and time estimate from the line would be great. Is there some setting I need to enable to make the distance and time estimate work for line mode?

Thanks again for a great application.

John
    Ya know...I don't know why I didn't download Kmaps sooner, but now that I have...I sure am glad I did. What a great little (oxymoron) program that will most certainly come in VERY handy from now on.

Thanks Ivan!!
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
    It can only display contacts that have an address (city, street etc.). You may want to update your Contacts list with addresses and then you'll be able to get them in KMaps. The Contacts without address are of no use in KMaps (it can't locate them).
    Most of my contacts include addresses. For some reason, it's only displaying a small number of them, though.

Michael
  17.    #277  
    Hm, I'll take a look and see if there is a bug, but in general, if you contact has name and street address, it should select it for displaying
    Hm, I'll take a look and see if there is a bug, but in general, if you contact has name and street address, it should select it for displaying
    They all have full addresses. I appreciate you looking.

Thank you.
    Howdy,

I still don't understand, completely, map storage.

If you have enough maps saved, can you move seamlessly across, say, your town, without accessing the network?

I am hoping that the 670 will be EVDO

Zooming out creates a new map? So, one should have several levels of maps saved?

Say I've got a map of Seattle saved from a search for the SciFi museum ,,, if I then search for REI, will Kmap use my saved map & just put the Flag in the appropriate location >

I've got Kmaps in RAM, can I set map saving to be an SD? Or are maps saved wherever Kmaps is?

Thanks for your tips -
  20.    #280  
    Well, in theory yes... If you have enough maps saved, you should be able to go through your town with the maps being pulled off SD instead of from Internet. However, it is almost impossible to save that many maps as needed at various zooms. I guess one needs to cover the area of the home city in zooms 0, 1 and 2 and for that many maps to be stored on SD you need to spend many hours with your Treo and count bytes as they download.

I created a PC program that fetches me the maps of the area at the selected zoom and the selected range. I then move those maps from my PC to SD. For example, I have 40 miles of Boston stored on my SD in zooms 0, 1 and 2. You need a nice size SD though. I have 2GB one. Boston zoom 0 took almost 150 MB of images. Higher zooms normally take less storage for the same area (twice less). I will soon roll this program out for KMappers to store maps on their SDs. The online mode should be there normally, but more as a backup, e.g. you find yourself in some "unknown" area for which you don't have maps saved etc.. In other words, for KMaps to be fully usable you need to have the combination of offline and online maps available and use both of them when applicable. I am still making some changes to make this fetching a bit more friendly process, but this application will soon come out and make your kmapping easier...

And yes, if you saved map of the area starting from some address and you search for another address inside that area, KMaps will use saved map from SD and just place a marker on an appropriate place.

If you have SD, Kmaps saves maps on SD automatically. See folder called gmaps on your SD...