Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
    Are there menus within the program? I hit the menu key and nothing happens. The few shortcuts listed in this thread seem to work, but I do not seem to be able to access most of the features.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwbaker
    Are there menus within the program? I hit the menu key and nothing happens. The few shortcuts listed in this thread seem to work, but I do not seem to be able to access most of the features.

There are currently no menus from the maps screen. There are menus from the search screen, the "map to/from" screen and the zoom screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by imitrovic
    By the way, has anyone noticed Japanese maps? When in KMaps, search for "Tokyo Japan" then Map it and play around. Those maps look really look and fairly different from the "western" type of maps.
    I imagine they would. I'd think Tokyo would have a more extensive mapping system for a couple of reasons: first, they use a very different addressing system in Japan. As I understand it, they don't number from one end of the street to the other but from the some combination of the location and the order in which the buildings were built. Don't quote me on that but I've hear id from a couple of different sources including a taxi driver. That leads me to the next point: many of the taxis have some kind of gps/mapping software so the need is there. I remember riding in a Japanese associates car back in 2000/2001 and being amazed at how advanced the GPS infrastructure was compared to ours.
    Ya I pulled up Tokyo it looked a little confusing so I then pulled it up on the desktop and switched between the map and satellite to see what was what. It looked pretty cool.
  5.    #205  
    Help->About should have a list of shortcuts when in map mode. I think I forgot to put "I" for zoom in one level and "O" for zoom out there...
    That's because Tokyo itself looks fairly different from the "western" type of city.

:-)

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y21...ies/bsflag.gif The satellites look the same but the Tokyo map has the buildings sketched out and important placed like hospitals and McDonald's marked with icons
    Can I see maps of cities around the world?
    Hi guys,

Do we have to be connected on the internet on our Treo 650 to use Kmaps?

Thanks.
    yes
    Quote Originally Posted by juniormtl
    Hi guys,

Do we have to be connected on the internet on our Treo 650 to use Kmaps?

Thanks.
    You should have data plan so it will be cheaper but you do not need to launch a browser before you open kmaps. Kmaps will conect when it neds to.

Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Can I see maps of cities around the world?
    Yup
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    I love this program and a I sent a donation to the cause. I want to support you in keeping a great program free. (It may even replace one of the other great free programs - DA.) I am getting occasional soft resets after my treo times out and I reopen the phone. (Treo 650 - Sprint). Another thread discusses moving IBM Java to the SD Card with MSmount. Has anybody tried it, does it work and, if so, how do I do it.
    Last edited by Wink40; 08/13/2005 at 02:35 PM. Reason: typo (thinko)
    ...can prevent unnecessary threads.
    However, when you are on the go, you are really at some specific address/location and KMaps will give you Traffic Report around that location.... I don't have a database of default zip codes available to do the same area narrowing Yahoo does, but, I don't think that it is much important to have that at this phase. So, for the moment, you will have to enter something like "New York 10018", instead of just "New York". This would be the lowest specific area KMaps would accept for Traffic Report.
    Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense and I've been able to get traffic information to download now. However, I would like to ask you to consider supporting additional use cases/improvements, which would make traffic data much more practical/useful:

1) If I have it calculate a route, I'd like to have it show me all traffic
    alerts along that route (not a radius from a specific point, but a very
    short distance either side of the route, but along it's entire length).
    In practice, that's the real traffic data I'd be interested in.

2) Being able to display icons for all alerts simultaneously for the selected
    area rather than having to pick one to map would be very useful as
    well (not quite as useful as #1, but a close 2nd, especially since it's
    flexible enough to allow me to easily consider alternate routes besides
    the one Google came up with). It would be best if the zoom level of
    the map were automatically calculated to cover all alerts to be drawn.

3) Alternately, making typing in a city as I described is useful if I'll be
    driving through the city, and want all the traffic alerts in the area.
    For my own city, I can remember the relevant zip. When travelling,
    that would be a pain to look up, though. Specifying just the city
    and state name is useful because the city name usually represents
    the center of the city, so a radius for alerts from that radius would
    cover the city well. A specific destination or starting point may be
    less helpful, because it might not cover the major areas of the city
    that I had to drive through.

4) It would be great if you could generate a synthetic alert for traffic
    feeds that don't show real-time incidents but provide traffic speed
    data (where the speed is below some threshold). That would indicate
    a likely accident/incident, even if the details aren't available. Though
    Yahoo hasn't started displaying it yet, I've noticed that the Colorado
    Department of Transportation does provide Denver highway speed
    data, but not real-time incident data (only scheduled road work
    alerts). This way once Yahoo traffic starts including the road speed
    data (if you think you might be able to add that, I'll ask Yahoo
    Traffic to pickup the data feed), you'd be able to reflect that in KMaps.

5) Unrelated specifically to traffic, but I've noticed a couple possible bugs.
    a) My Treo sometimes turns off while KMaps is in the middle of
    downloading. It would be great if you could make it realize it was
    busy and temporarily prevent auto-shutoff.
    b) In situations where Google Maps can't find something, KMaps
    sometimes hangs mid search. It isn't consistent, so I'm not sure
    how to repeat it, but it happens fairly frequently.
    c) On changing zoom levels, KMaps seems to often recenter on the
    mapped location rather than the stick man. I'd much prefer it
    center on the stick man, since that's what's currently displayed.
    d) On some tile download situations (when the stick figure goes into
    the brick area and a new tile downloads), the location after the
    new map downloads has moved from where it was before. That's
    disconcerting and makes it hard to figure out where you are. I
    have a Treo 600 (low res display), so I can't see enough on the
    screen to easily find my location again.
    e) When I draw the line (l) between the stick man and the mapped
    location, neither the distance nor the estimated walking time is
    displayed.

As I mentioned in my previous posting, this is a great application. I hope it really catches on (since many of your location based-services depend on other users). I'm especially interested though in location based-services with data feeds already supplied (like traffic) since they don't depend on a lot of users to provide high quality data.

Thanks,
    John
    Last edited by JohnDiamant; 08/13/2005 at 11:10 PM.
    I've seen you can display the latitude/longitude of a location, is there any way to specify the location you want to search for by latitude / longitude? I could not see a way to do this in Google Maps, but I may have just missed the search syntax. For example: N 37 01.308 W 094 15.109.

What I'd really like to see is GPS integration to at least be able to pull in your current location from a connected bluetooth GPS. But, for now, the ability to copy/paste a latitude/longitude from a separate GPS aware program would help. This is for those times when you have no clue what address or street you are on, but you have a GPS with you.

Edit: I've figured out your can already do this, Google supports lat/lon locations in the format above (and probably some others). I can't see how to paste into a text entry field in KMap (no paste menu option), but you can do it by creating a temporary contact entry with the lat/lon in the address field. This is kludgy, but it would work. Supporting pasting an address would be an improvement, and supporting reading lat/lon directly from a GPS would be even better!
    Last edited by danjb; 08/14/2005 at 01:57 AM.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
  15.    #215  
    John,

These are all valid suggestions. Some of these improvements we'll see very soon. For example, the next release will include zoom on a current position (where the walking guy actually is), rather than on the start position. I am also working on displaying many addresses on the map at once, but that will take a couple of more days to complete. Once I have that done, I'll be able to display all alerts on the map and you will be able to click (or alternate using shortcut) each of them while on map to see its text.

When it comes to a default zip code, that would be a bit harder to get since Google doesn't provide one by default for generic searches like "San Francisco". I'll take a look at that later and see if I can get that info somehow. For the moment, you can search for something failry common that pretty much exists in every city e.g. "San Francisco Post Office" and start the Traffic Info From There.

The idea about the other traffic feeds is a good one and there are different traffic feeds available for various states, even real-time traffic camera feeds available on the web from different sources. This is one of the reasons I want to introduce something I call KMaplets. Since we can't predict what kind of location based data feeds may be out there, I want to open KMaps for others to make these feeds available for KMaps users. For example, Colorado traffic feed idea would be the one, traffic web cams would also be doable through KMaplets (you would be able to see web cam location on the map and see its image) and pretty much any type of location based data, not only traffic, but anything, even a story from your recent travel, for example or cheap gas prices around your current location. KMaps users would then select which feeds they want to take on a daily basis and display them on their devices. So, for example, someone may take traffic speed data for Colorado and format it into KMaps format and make it available for KMaps users etc. This will really depend on a will of people to make these feeds available. I can't code these additional services into KMaps anymore, since there may be thousands of services that may be provided this way. However, I will open KMaps for these external feeds assuming they are created in some standard format. Again, it all depends on the other users to cerate thesedata feeds suitable for viewing in KMaps. The feeds will be very simple to create anyway and I will provide some online tools for that, although anyone with the notepad would be able to create these feeds manually...
  16.    #216  
    Dan,

Java, programming language I wrote KMaps in, doesn't support copy/paste at this moment... You'll have to go through contacts as you described or I may alter the code to support import from Tasks (ToDo) as a bit less tedious (e.g. we can specify "KMaps Import" Category in Tasks and import lat/lon from there).

On the GPS side, I am looking into that and at some point KMaps will support GPS. I am coding in a way that KMaps only depend on latitude and longitude. Since that is what GPS does, it would play well with GPS by default.

However, I want to get the basic things right first, e.g. we'll see KMaps displaying a map of directions in a day or two and there are also various bugs around that people pointed to that should be fixed before more new stuff is introduced. But GPS is definitelly on a roadmap. Using your PC to get the map images and then storing on SD card is something that will be available very soon, too.
    You'll have to go through contacts as you described or I may alter the code to support import from Tasks (ToDo) as a bit less tedious (e.g. we can specify "KMaps Import" Category in Tasks and import lat/lon from there).
    Thanks for the consideration! I figured GPS would be something you'd get to eventually, but understand you have plenty to do before then! If you're going to support importing lat/lon for searching, I might suggest using the Custom 1 field of the contacts database, it if looks like it has a lat/lon entry in it. Easiest way to check is to look for a single N or S letter at the beginning of the field, followed by a number (with optional spaces between), followed by other stuff.

Both Mapopolis and a program I use for Geocaching (Cachemate) use the Custom 1 field in Contacts to store their generated waypoints or geomarks (Mapopolis's term for them). Since you already import from Contacts, hopefully checking this Custom 1 field for a properly formated lat/lon entry and using that in the import would not be too hard a change.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    John,

Some of these improvements we'll see very soon.
    [...]
    For the moment, you can search for something failry common that pretty much exists in every city e.g. "San Francisco Post Office" and start the Traffic Info From There.
    [...]
    The idea about the other traffic feeds is a good one and there are different traffic feeds available for various states, even real-time traffic camera feeds available on the web from different sources. This is one of the reasons I want to introduce something I call KMaplets.
    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply. That's great to hear some of my suggestions will be showing up very soon. The work around is a great idea too until/unless you have a way to map a city name to a zip code or otherwise specific enough location. Thanks.

I did want to clarify that opening up the interface to allow others to provide data feeds is a great idea, but it wasn't quite what I was suggesting. I was suggesting that:

1) Yahoo Traffic already provides real-time speed data in some cities.
    2) Some cities may have real-time speed data but not real-time accident
    data (I suspect I could easily convince Yahoo Traffic to add real-time
    speed data for Denver since the feed is already available to them, but
    real time accident data requires CDOT to start supplying the information,
    which may be harder to make happen).
    3) Even if you continue to limit your built-in data feed to only Yahoo
    Traffic, you could still convert very low speed reports into alerts to
    maximize the value of the single Yahoo Traffic feed you provide built
    in.

One more bug report (in addition to those I mentioned in my last message) -- scrolling down to choose which item to select from a radio button or check box list (e.g. traffic incidents, directions) doesn't show each selectable item -- it scrolls the wrong amount. Scrolling up works well usually -- scrolls to the selectable item, so no selectable items are skipped.

Thanks again for this great application!

John
    Hi guys,
    I'm having trouble getting kmaps to work at all. I've downloaded the JVM and all that, but when I click on the kmaps icon it loads and then spits me back out to the applications chooser. No error messages, no nothing. Any ideas as to what could be causing this? I'm running it on a 650 with the latest sprint software. Thanks!

-borg359
    Great program. Everything works fine except 'Select from Contacts'

From the 'start/search' page I: menu->Select From Contacts and my Treo 650 resets.

Thanks for the program and 'forcing' java exploration (just had to say that since Opera-Mini is also fantastic)