Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lgreenberg
    It looks too complicated for an ***** like me
    so you can design/build a house but you cant do this

actually i want to do it as well...but I'm a dolt like you...but I'm Canadian so its more surprising
    Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    so you can design/build a house but you cant do this

actually i want to do it as well...but I'm a dolt like you...but I'm Canadian so its more surprising
    I didn't build it.

Yeah, I guess I'm a chicken.
    I didn't build it.

I used to live on the bleeding edge . . . . . . now I let others cut thru the jungle.

I suppose, if I was motivated enough over some problem, I would do it, but I use VersaMail. Now the thought of adding something like FileZ or Powerrun to the Rom to survive a hard reset is an idea. . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Yes, the Cingular Updater, that is the new ROM. With Shadowmite's tool, you can then adjust it.

Cheers, Perry.
    Ummm, that doesnt appear to be right. The updater for windows is just an exe and even the mac updater isnt the correct set of files. If anyone has this working can they please let me know where to get a ROM image? Thanks for helping the "custom ROM n00b"
    Quote Originally Posted by AnteL0pe
    Ummm, that doesnt appear to be right. The updater for windows is just an exe and even the mac updater isnt the correct set of files. If anyone has this working can they please let me know where to get a ROM image? Thanks for helping the "custom ROM n00b"
    i think if you right click on the .exe file, and have WINRAR you can select "open with winrar" and it will show a full listing of all the files in the .exe

cause afterall, a .exe is just a self executing .zip file
    I didn't build it.

i don't know you anymore
    i think if you right click on the .exe file, and have WINRAR you can select "open with winrar" and it will show a full listing of all the files in the .exe

cause afterall, a .exe is just a self executing .zip file
    If i use the mac version i get all the files, but they arent what shadowmite's tool is looking for. Even if i zip those up and name it ace-palmos.zip the app fails. If I extract the Windows updater I get a directory named "Disk1" in there is a setup.exe a couple .cab files which must be holding the data as they are 1 and 8mb, and there are some other files.... Maybe I'll just wait for someone who knows more about the process to make a ROM....
    Shadowmite, as someone who has benefitted from your work before, I just want you to know that I appreciate all that you've done for the Treo community. Despite Palm's objections (and I agree with you, if they had a simple, low or no cost solution to reflashing a damaged ROM at the stores, this probably wouldn't be an issue), I hope you continue to find new and innovative ways to make their products better.

It's a shame that they don't just hire you, you seem to have a better grasp on what the Treos need than they do.
    I'm back!
    If i use the mac version i get all the files, but they arent what shadowmite's tool is looking for. Even if i zip those up and name it ace-palmos.zip the app fails. If I extract the Windows updater I get a directory named "Disk1" in there is a setup.exe a couple .cab files which must be holding the data as they are 1 and 8mb, and there are some other files.... Maybe I'll just wait for someone who knows more about the process to make a ROM....
    but mac's arent computers, they are types of apples...i like granny smith yeah i should have mentioned that is only a solution for a windows based machine..i havent been on a mac since 2000
    but mac's arent computers, they are types of apples...i like granny smith yeah i should have mentioned that is only a solution for a windows based machine..i havent been on a mac since 2000
    Right, i have both a mac and xp machine in front of me. The only reason i suggested the mac version is because the files arent wrapped in a self decompressing app (what is the point of that?). You just expand the mac updater .sit and are left with the files that are used for the update. This still doesnt give me something I can work with in Shadowmite's tool. I could try to extract the ROM using the method described on his site, but since I have already applied the update im not sure I can. If anyone comes up with a Cingular base ROM let me know, I'll keep watching for one...
    Right, i have both a mac and xp machine in front of me. The only reason i suggested the mac version is because the files arent wrapped in a self decompressing app (what is the point of that?). You just expand the mac updater .sit and are left with the files that are used for the update. This still doesnt give me something I can work with in Shadowmite's tool. I could try to extract the ROM using the method described on his site, but since I have already applied the update im not sure I can. If anyone comes up with a Cingular base ROM let me know, I'll keep watching for one...
    oh okay, my bad...good luck
    i am having trouble trying to use the tool. can someone assist me please.
    Were they worried about people messing up their Treos attempting a ROM udpdate. I think there is more risk involved with having users build the ROM and then updating vs. just updating a tested and known working ROM.

oh well..
    another note-

The letter Palm (dave @ Palm) sent was very well worded. He appeared to apprecciate Shadowmite's work, and his statement for palm employees to "feel free to contact him". Specificly stating he would perfer not to contact lawyers and giving a clear,concise reson was also nice. (or at least I thought so)
    da Gimp

Please note: My spelling sucks and I'm to lazy to check it.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmbritton
    Were they worried about people messing up their Treos attempting a ROM udpdate. I think there is more risk involved with having users build the ROM and then updating vs. just updating a tested and known working ROM.

oh well..
    I think they were more worried that there were custom roms pre-built without Palm's blessing. They know that some people wanna use the tool to customize their rom for numerous reasons and don't really want to prevent that, so long as the user does it after they get the "official" Palm ROM.

Also, pre-built roms make it easier for those who have no idea what they're doing to f*** up the phone (which is what they're trying to avoid)....at least now you've got to have a semi-good idea of what the heck you're doing.

At least that's what I'm getting outta all this.
    Quote Originally Posted by B-model
    another note-

The letter Palm (dave @ Palm) sent was very well worded. He appeared to apprecciate Shadowmite's work, and his statement for palm employees to "feel free to contact him". Specificly stating he would perfer not to contact lawyers and giving a clear,concise reson was also nice. (or at least I thought so)
    I concur - very clear and well worded letter indeed.
    shadowmite - any chance of posting that tool here? I have some issues getting to your site from my work PC b/c of firewall settings... it sees the "Hacking" (I guess in the meta-tags) on your site & blocks the site.

Or maybe PM me with it if you can't post?

PS - Appreciate all the hard work!
    OK, maybe I'm being dense, but once I've got my custom ROM built, where do I get the updater files mentioned in the instructions? I had a temporary laptop that had it on there. I turned that computer back in, with the updater on it. Now I can't find it anywhere? Suggestions?
    FWIW, some observations:

1. I find it *interesting* that the letter from Dave came after the final ROM update from Palm finally came out. With the memory and sound issues resolved (as far as palm is concerned anyway) with all of the major carriers THEN they send a note to Shadowmite. Seems to me that Shadowmite's site was ok with Palm as long as they didnt have their corrected ROM fixes out for everybody. After that, THEN he becomes a *danger.* In other words, while Shadowmite was useful to them (by keeping all the fanatics like me happy) he was tolerated (used), but now there is no need for his ROMS (in their view anyway)

2. As noted above, the demand to take down the custom ROMs to prevent people frying Treos makes no sense. The ROMs on Shadowmites site were tested and worked. How people fry their phones is by putting things on the shouldn't or taking things off that have to be there. There is a much greater chance that someone will fry their phone using the tool than they would have using one of the pre-packaged, and tested, ROMs. I have no doubt fried phones is a problem, but this doesnt solve that and probably makes it worse.

3. More likely, the real issue is they cant tollerate a site that makes it so simple to remove programs like RealPlayer that they must know by now a lot of people dont want, but whom the get $$ from by having it on the Treo in ROM.

4. All of this makes me even more certain that the "accidental" finding of that SD card that allowed Shadowmite to created the custom ROMS in the first place was a Palm plant. After the roadshows, the message boards and the tech reviews, someone realized they had a real problem and, imo, leaked the SD card with the key files on it to Shadowmite so that he could put on the voice quality patch and move programs to ROM to placate the fanatics among us until they got the memory and sound updates out themselves. Its quite possible that when the SD card was leaked, whoever did it did not realize how far Shadowmite could take that info, but I have very little doubt now that that the mystery SD card came from someone at Palm...maybe Dave himself!
    I await your GUI tool! Thanks for all you do.
    Charliec
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast