1.    #1  
    (I've spent 15 minutes searching the forum and haven't found anything quite on point, so pardon me if I missed something.)

When talking to another Treo 650 user, both of us using built in mics -- if I'm talking and he tries to interject something, I can't hear him, or it's so faint I miss it. Quite regularly, when I finish saying something, I can hear for the first time that he's mid-sentence. Perception on the other end is that I'm ignoring him, or talking over him.

I gather this is a known issue of the Treo (and many other) speakerphones, but it's happening when using the Treo as a standard phone on both ends.

Both of us have been using VolumeCare (I was using 3.06 last night when it happened again) but come to think of it his trial version may be expired. We tried an experiment last night, and when we spoke simultaneously he could still hear me but I couldn't hear him.

These are on Verizon Treo 650s.

Any suggestions? It's pretty frustrating.
    Quote Originally Posted by gellmanb
    (I've spent 15 minutes searching the forum and haven't found anything quite on point, so pardon me if I missed something.)

When talking to another Treo 650 user, both of us using built in mics -- if I'm talking and he tries to interject something, I can't hear him, or it's so faint I miss it. Quite regularly, when I finish saying something, I can hear for the first time that he's mid-sentence. Perception on the other end is that I'm ignoring him, or talking over him.

I gather this is a known issue of the Treo (and many other) speakerphones, but it's happening when using the Treo as a standard phone on both ends.

Both of us have been using VolumeCare (I was using 3.06 last night when it happened again) but come to think of it his trial version may be expired. We tried an experiment last night, and when we spoke simultaneously he could still hear me but I couldn't hear him.

These are on Verizon Treo 650s.

Any suggestions? It's pretty frustrating.
    Hi there. Thought I would chime in here to perhaps lend a hand. What you describe is normal behavior for the Speakerphone on the Treo. As I understand it, this is a half duplex device. So while the other person is talking, you can not interrupt the conversation and visa versa. This is not a VolumeCare problem but a design "feature" of the speakerphone. The only thing VC would do is allow you to over drive the MIC if you are talking very close to the MIC, with a loud voice and you have the MIC volume turned all the way up. In this case, your voice may start to break up but this is easily fixed by turning down the MIC volume. You can do this during the call by using the Option+5-way DOWN key sequence.

Hope this helps.....

Jeff
    Ooooh Jeff, read the original post He specifically said *not* using the speakerphone.

Interesting, I wonder if this problem is only from Treo to Treo, or in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    Ooooh Jeff, read the original post He specifically said *not* using the speakerphone.

Interesting, I wonder if this problem is only from Treo to Treo, or in general?
    Interesting. I did miss this part of the post! I still do not know *how* VC could have anything to do with this behavior. The Verizon 650 is very new and I do not know much about their phone impementation. They should be using standard CDMA but who knows. This is a good topic to hear from other Verizon users.

I can tell you that I talk to people at work that have Sprint 650's and we are all running VC and we do not experience this behavior (or at least we haven't noticed it.)

jeff
  5.    #5  
    Thanks, Jeff, for pitching in. I have no reason to think VC is involved in the problem, but you seem to understand the mic-and-speaker hardware better than anyone, so I wanted to enlist your help.

Is anyone else at all experiencing this problem? Any suggestions at all?

Is there a hardware problem, hypothetically, that could account for what I describe?
    I have been having this problem since my Treo 300. I honestly think it is a CDMA issue as I have had this problem when using any Treo and speaking to anyone on a CDMA phone. The problem does not exist when I am using a GSM Treo and speaking to another GSM user. (Of course, that is not nearly enough reason for me to switch).