1.    #1  
    I'm new to this, so I'd really appreciate some help.

I'm able to set up the Treo using Versamail to retrieve home e-mails through my provider, Cox Cable. But, I cannot send them out because the server won't accept them unless I'm on the server....

So, I'm trying to figure out what I need to do in order to be able to send them out.

I tried entering the Verizon outgoing message server, but that didn't work either because I didn't have a Verizon user name and password.

Does this mean I need to sign-up with Verizon for that? Is there a different option?

I've also read about Chatter and Snapper a little bit in these Forums. Would that solve my problems? How/why? How much does it cost?

Sorry for my confusion and all the questions. Thanks for any guidance.

Michael
    What you need is an outgoing mail server which allows relaying.

Depending on your provider you may be able to use one from them (Cingular, Sprint etc.) If not you can sign up for one, for a very small fee (one time $14,95) at www.fastmail.fm

No, Snapper or Chatter won't solve your problem. These are just different e-mail applications. For pricing check their web sites.
  3.    #3  
    That's a bummer that I need to sign-up for one elsewhere. Thanks for confirming that for me, though. It had started to look that way. And thank you for that link.
    Yeah, I don't think "Cox" supports relaying.

Again, you may not need to use the Fast Mail one. I know people out there are using Sprint and Cingular outgoing mail servers free of charge. A search might tell you more.
  5.    #5  
    I will search. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I use Verizon. It sounds like you don't need to have your service through Sprint or Cingular to use their outgoing mail servers...?
    I have Cox as my ISP and Verizon for my cell phone service, and I can send and receive email with my Cox account and Versamail. My settings are:

Email Address: myemail@cox.net

Incoming Mail Server: pop.west.cox.net

Outgoing Mail Server: smtp.west.cox.net
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelp68
    I will search. Thanks for the heads-up.
    I use Verizon. It sounds like you don't need to have your service through Sprint or Cingular to use their outgoing mail servers...?
    Correct. Verizon allows relaying but they require authorization to send mail. So you'd need a user name and password to send mail with the Verizon outgoing mail sever.