Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am ready to buy a Treo 650 from Verizon in Southern California. One store has "Hardware A" and another has "Hardware B". Should I buy "Hardware B"? Is it better or improved over "A"? How so? Please reply ASAP if you know about this issue. Thanks!!
    Ahhh...more "B" sightings. I haven't seen anyone post the differences (if any) yet.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  3.    #3  
    Thank you, Insertion. I hope somebody knows more about this...
    One would assume that B is newe and thus somehow better.

Why create a B if A was perfect?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    I would like to hear more about was changes were made to go from A to B hardware revs. The big one for me would be a more reliable headset jack
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    One would assume that B is newe and thus somehow better.

Why create a B if A was perfect?
    Unless it is to just differentiate a different manufacturer?

However, I agree: B probably means newer and, which, possibly means better. I cannot say it with any more conviction than that!
    In a word: competition. And neither one is perfect.

If I recall correctly from the early OmniSky days, one of the two competing networks was put together by one wireless provider (name no longer current), and the other by BellSouth, or something like that.

Some wireless users are choosing A or B, others are actually choosing "I prefer one - try the other if my first choice is unavailable." Hope this is still correct.
    Why can't you be a nonconformist like everybody else?
    Global Posts
    728 Global Posts
    you're thinking of hte old analog days when there was an A carrier and a B carrier in each market and that was the choice. (Funny but there is still an option to fiddle A or B in my verizon treo 650 if i recall even though its not analog by any means...)

This seems to be a hardware revision or somethign else.
  9.    #9  
    Yes, this is not related to carrier or network. This is, what appears to be, a second hardware version of the Treo 650, indicated by "hardware: B" printed inside the battery compartment, and also found on the Phone Info screen accessed in the Options menu from the phone screen.

--------------

Well, I went ahead and bought the Hardware B version, unfortunately making the Verizon guy open a few boxes to find one. Apparently, they're still receiving version A in the same shipments as version B. I still can't find any clear explanation of what the difference might be!!
  10.    #10  
    Oh yah... it came with software version 1.03 already installed. I assume that's a good thing??
    Release notes for version B:

*More robust keyboard
    *Louder volume on earpiece and external speaker
    *Extended range antenna
    *1.0 Megapixel camera
    *Bluetooth 1.2
    *WIFI
    *128 MB RAM

Just kidding, of course, but it would be nice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

*More robust keyboard
    *Extended range antenna
    *1.0 Megapixel camera
    *Bluetooth 1.2
    *WIFI
    *128 MB RAM

Just kidding, of course, but it would be nice!

You got me!!

I was about to smash my Treo in order to get a replacement (kidding).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller

*More robust keyboard
    *Extended range antenna
    *1.0 Megapixel camera
    *Bluetooth 1.2
    *WIFI
    *128 MB RAM
    I hate you. My eyes got progressively wider as I read until I got to the camera spec...
  14.    #14  
    You got me, too!! I was thinking that I totally lucked out until I read "WiFi" and "128 MB RAM" - I knew THOSE couldn't be true!! Ha Ha!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanook
    I hate you. My eyes got progressively wider as I read until I got to the camera spec...
    he lost me at the camara upgrade too.

the first two things could be posible, but the camara thing would be something we would of heard about.

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    That was a good one, Tony....I experienced the eye-widening effect as the others. Also preparing to throw the phone against the floor!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony3333
    Yes, this is not related to carrier or network. This is, what appears to be, a second hardware version of the Treo 650, indicated by "hardware: B" printed inside the battery compartment, and also found on the Phone Info screen accessed in the Options menu from the phone screen.

--------------

Well, I went ahead and bought the Hardware B version, unfortunately making the Verizon guy open a few boxes to find one. Apparently, they're still receiving version A in the same shipments as version B. I still can't find any clear explanation of what the difference might be!!

Sprint replaced my Treo today and it was hardware B. I noticed the following:

-speaker icon is solid black
    -keyboard lights have a bit more of a blue hue
    -blue body seems a bit ligher in color
    -pre loaded with 1.12

Anyone else noticed anything?
    Check the 'p' key. Does it feel mushier thab the others?
    Does "Hardware B" have a PALMONE logo or the new PALM logo ???
    Quote Originally Posted by got-hosting
    Check the 'p' key. Does it feel mushier thab the others?
    The P feels the same as the other keys. As for logo's, it is plam on the hardware (just like the old one); and still Palm One on the software.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast