1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I'm trying to get rid of AOL and go strictly to my Comcast account (we already have a Comcast internet & cable package at home, so why pay twice, right?). However, I now understand that Comcast mail is POP3 whereas AOL is IMAP (and whereas I don't REALLY understand all that that means, I think I understand that IMAP protocols allow for "push"-type of email getting, while POP accounts do not)...

If this is true, then do I really want to be trashing my AOL account for a Comcast account if it means a less-than-good email getting situation on the Treo? Will Chattermail "improve" the situation (over VersaMail, at least)? Or, would Chattermail simply reveal just how bad a POP account is?

Again, I have no idea what MAKES a POP account crappier than an IMAP account. I could use a lesson on this.

Given that I don't really understand how this all works, maybe this is an uninformed question as well, but... What if I were to have Mac .Mail handle my Comcast account? (I don't know if .Mail is POP or IMAP.) If Chatter were to handle this, would that make things better or worse?

VersaMail doesn't appear to be a wonderful email program. Chatter appears to do what people hoped it would do. So, I'd like to use Chatter to handle my email on the Treo. But I DON'T want to have it handle a lame Comcast account if the whole POP experience is terrible (and Marc @ Chatter has informed me that POP is "horrible", so I gotta believe there's a reason for him saying that!).

Can someone point me in the right direction here? I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Got Comcast, use VersaMail.

Works for me, I just set the "pull" for every 30 minutes. (You can set it for every 15 minutes.)

I did have to set my outgoing server to the sprint server, however.

Good Luck!
  3.    #3  
    Perry -- Can you give me your exact settings as you set up VersaMail, including port numbers, etc? Thanks!

Oh, and does it retrieve your mail with no hassle?

Thanks!

-Kirk
    No hassle.

Did have a problem with the "delete off server function" would not work. Palm said it was a limitation of some POP3 servers and even had a help sheet on it. However, another user told me to delete the account within VersaMail and reset it up. Cured the problem just fine. . .

I will PM you the settings. . . .
    Last edited by gtwo; 07/27/2005 at 08:57 AM.
    I forward my Comcast email to a Fastmail imap account which pushes to Chatter - I think you'll find that much better than using Chatter to sync directly with pop3
  6.    #6  
    Thanks again, Perry. I'll be on the lookout for those settings.

Horatio -- This is where I get lost. Is the "Fastmail" a Treo software program [that resiides only on the Treo]? Or, is it a desktop-based email account? Also, where would I find the settings on how to set up my Treo to do the exact same thing as you're doing?

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    Thanks again, Perry. I'll be on the lookout for those settings.

Horatio -- This is where I get lost. Is the "Fastmail" a Treo software program [that resiides only on the Treo]? Or, is it a desktop-based email account? Also, where would I find the settings on how to set up my Treo to do the exact same thing as you're doing?

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Fastmail is just an email server. (like gmail, etc...) But it is IMAP, as opposed to POP3.

www.fastmail.fm
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts
    Yes I forward my work’s Email, my Cable ISP Email, and my SprintPCS Email to Fastmail. In Fastmail a define rules to move each to a different sub folder under the Inbox. In Chatter I see each subfolder plus the main Inbox for the messages coming from Fastmail. A big plus with this configuration is Fastmail does great job of filtering out Spam and viruses, but for that you would have to pay for Full plan.
  9.    #9  
    Hmm.. Are you using the "free" Fastmail account? If so, have any of the limitations come into play with your email needs?

-Kirk
    Perry -- Can you give me your exact settings as you set up VersaMail, including port numbers, etc? Thanks!

Oh, and does it retrieve your mail with no hassle?

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Try this setup for Versamail, it's step by step and flawless. The thread should be a sticky:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...541#post479541

And, I also forward my Comcast email to Fastmail and then push it to my Treo with Chatter.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.
    Hmm.. Are you using the "free" Fastmail account? If so, have any of the limitations come into play with your email needs?

-Kirk
    I am. The only limitations were last week when they were having server problems.

I forward my gmail and charter.net accounts. I just use fastmail for push. I still use gmails smtp to send my mail.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    Global Posts
    217 Global Posts

-Kirk
    No I elected the Full plan to get the Spam Filter. I consider the notification beeps for spam emails an inconvenience that I am willing to pay 19.95 a year to avoid.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by pda_jedi
    Try this setup for Versamail, it's step by step and flawless. The thread should be a sticky:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...541#post479541

And, I also forward my Comcast email to Fastmail and then push it to my Treo with Chatter.
    Thanks! Now, I'm using Cingular. Will these settings work on my Cingular GSM Treo? (Obviously, I haven't reviewed these instructions -- I just printed them out to review when I get a chance.)

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Thanks! Now, I'm using Cingular. Will these settings work on my Cingular GSM Treo? (Obviously, I haven't reviewed these instructions -- I just printed them out to review when I get a chance.)

Thanks!

-Kirk
    Unfortunately, these settings are for setting up Versamail to use the Sprint SMTP server, but they should work with the Cingular SMTP server as well. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out.
    -->BtDUN pre- and post- SprintPCS update 1.12 paired to PC and PPC.
    Darth_Maul -- a dark attacker, trained in the Jedi arts.