Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    I Have a question for the long time Palm users who have been doing their syncing through the Palm Desktop and Handheld ( no Outlook or any outside programs involved).
    Have you ever experienced having any corrupted files or loosing data, other than human errors or dead battery?
    For me, Palm Desktop has always worked well. No corrupted or lost files here. I have been a Palm user since the original Palm Pilot 5000.
    CGordonn
    SPCS Treo 700p
    Virginia Beach, VA but home will
    always be Honolulu, HI
    no probs here... ever... that I'm aware of...
    I'm not weird... I'm gifted!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgordonn
    For me, Palm Desktop has always worked well. No corrupted or lost files here.
    Same here. I don't remember what number my first Palm organizer was, but it was about seven years ago, I think. I know I had it about a year or two before I got the Kyocera 6035, then the 7135. Have never had a problem syncing with the exception of me screwing something up.
    had palms now for at least 5 years, no probs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mateen
    I Have a question for the long time Palm users who have been doing their syncing through the Palm Desktop and Handheld ( no Outlook or any outside programs involved).
    Have you ever experienced having any corrupted files or loosing data, other than human errors or dead battery?
    Going on 10 years, never had a problem with corrupted files or lost data.

Why do you ask?

Cheers, Perry.
    never.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Started with a USR PalmPilot 5000. Never lost my desktop data.
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    I've been using PALM-based products for a number of years - using a Visor Deluxe, Sony Clie SJ 30 and now the Treo 650.

I have found that this has worked really well - and I have synced both to Outlook and Palm Desktop at the same time (two different PCs).

One thing I've noticed is that the Palm backup works really well. Only a very few things don;t get saved into the backup folder - and then there is also the archive folder that has even more files in it for when I need to get a *.prc file that's no longer on my device.

Overall, I'm happy with it. It beats the heck out of the Windows-based device I used for a bit - until it drive me crazy and I bought the Treo 650.
    no problems using Palm desktop in stand-alone mode since my original Palm IIIx several years ago.

I DO remember one issue related to hotsyncing via infrared between the IIIx and Windows XP - but this was primariliy a hardware driver incompatibility between the 'ancient' Palm 3.x OS and WinXP.

I've had NO problems at all using Desktop with my Treo 650.

Greg

unlocked GSM / T-Mobile
    The only problem I can recall is a duplication of contacts. Other than that, works great for me.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Never once had a problem for the past 5-6 years.

KeNg
    I have occasionally duplicated data but only ever lost data when I did something stupid with SplashID. It was my own fault.

I think problems occur when misperceptions about what HotSync is capable of are abroad. HotSync is designed to do a 1:1 synch between a PC (or Mac) and a handheld. It is not designed for synching to multiple PCs or worse Mac at home and PC at work. You have to be very careful if you do this - requires some careful setup to be successful.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden
    Going on 10 years, never had a problem with corrupted files or lost data.

Why do you ask?

Cheers, Perry.
    The reason I asked this question is because I have seen a lot of people complaining about data Corruptions and data loses. I have been a Palm user for the last 6 years using Only Palm Desktop and Handheld and I have never experienced such problem either.
    Thanks for all the reponds.
    Never a problem here, either.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    8 years on Palm OS devices and never a problem of that type ever.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Using several Palms since my first 3Com Palm III of 1998 and never lost data syncing with Palm Desktop...
    Never lost data through syncing...but my SavedPreferences file just magically disappeared on my 650 after a reset one time. I'm guessing it's got to do with the NVFS.

Luckily, I found out later that Palm Desktop had a copy of that file in my backup folder. Whew!
    This post is aimed at mwomwom in response to you writing that 'synching to two PCs requires careful setup'.

This is exactly what I am trying to do. Work and Home PCs both running W2K. Work PC has Outlook 2000. Home PC has Outlook XP. Any changes I make in work Outlook, after HotSync at work then at home, get copied to home Outlook. But any changes made on home Outlook make it to the Treo, but not subsequently onto work Outlook.

Have you any idea where I can get a list of what needs to be selected to set this up so that it works correctly?