1.    #1  
    hi all ...

i have an unlocked 650 treo that has had the latest firmware upgrade applied .... despite spending hours reading this forum and fiddling i just can't seem to get my treo and my palm headset to pair ... i have followed the instructions posted here quite precisely (about 8 times in fact) .... i have done soft resets etc ... but still no luck ... i have spent hours on this and just can't believe that i can't get it to work ...

this is what happens ....

my treo will actually go thru the process and register my headset as paired .... but thats it ... as soon as the process is done it seems to "forget " that it has paired and won't recognise the headset any more .... it can't seem to " find " it ... even tho' they are only a few feet or inches apart ... and it lists it as a trusted device .... but can NEVER seem to find it ... the headset will not even register calls ... let alone pick them up .....

i also tried to pair my wifes bt headset with the treo .... its a sony ericsonn hbh-35 which works fine with her old nokia ... my old phillips ... and her new ericsson phones ... but no go .... the same thing happens with it and my treo as i have already detailed ...

this is so frustrating ... i really really like my treo ... but this is absurd .... it should not be so complex and difficult .... here in australia when i bought this phone it was close to $1200AU ... a $1200 phone that doesn't work properly ! .... i have been a palm user for many years .... but my patience is starting to run a little thin .... (sorry to vent ... just a little P****d off right now!)

if there are any aussie treo users reading this board (esp if you have applied the latest firmware upgrade ) ... can you pls advise if you have been able to get working ... is anybody else having this problem ...

are there any 3rd party software prog that i can use to get this too work ....

any help to get this working would be greatly appreciated
  2.    #2  
    bump ...

so is anybody at all having this problem? or am i the only one ? ...

any ideas on a possible solution ?
    Had no problems here...haven't heard of anyone else either. Sorry mate.
    The only thing that separates the men from the boys...is the lessons they learn.
    www.planetmills.com
  4.    #4  
    ok ... here is a bit more information that may help someone work out what is happening here .....

i have successfully paired both the palmone treo and the sony ericsson h/s .... and immediately after pairing them i have noticed the following ....

1. if the treo is switched off ..and i press the h-sets multifunction button the treo will switch on (always)... when i dial a number on the phone i am unable can hear the number ring thru the treo h-set .... but pressing the h-set multifunction button again will end the call on the treo .... but neither h-set seems able to pick up any incoming calls ... the treo just doesn't seem to be able to transfer an incoming call to the h-set at all ....

then...

when i go to check the bluetooth screen by tapping the bluetooth app >> setup devices >> trusted devices = the screen is totally blank ... nothing there ...

when i then tap (from that page) >> add devices to get to a page titled "discovery results" they both show up in the drop down list of "all known devices" ... but not "trusted devices " or "nearby devices" ....

when in " all known devices" ... if i tap on either devices listed .. ie ... the treo headset or the hbh-35 and press ok the bluetooth progress search screen comes up on the bottom part of the treo screen ... but then i get a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark and "unable to connect to .... (whatever i tried to connect to) ... " .. >> try again just gives the same result after a few seconds of attempted search ...

just confirming that bluetooth is indeed " on" and "discoverable " ....

i have deleted these "pairings" .. done a reset and re-paired them ok .... only to always get the same results as outlined above

btw ....if the h-set is on ...ie blue light flashing ... and placed near the treo while the treo is switched off ... after a few minutes the treo will often power up .. ie switch on ... sometimes to the home page and sometimes to the bluetooth apps "page" ... if the h-set is switched off this does not happen .....

any ideas anyone? ... please!
    Last edited by aussietanker; 07/27/2005 at 09:43 AM.
    I too have struggled with this...I have it working now..can you post the software that you have..firmware/etc.

Also any apps like Profilecare, Launchers, etc...post version #'s. I am trying to narrow down the problem, and might be able to help you.

You should also try doing the headset-reset.
    1.Plug your headset and adapter into the wall outlet to charge for 5 seconds. The indicator light should be solid blue.
    2.Disconnect the headset from the charger.
    3.The headset has now been reset. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 resets before the unit will function normally. This is similar to rebooting a PC.
  6.    #6  
    hi ... thanks for your reply redbaron .... any help is appreciated ....

the phoned is FW: 01.28, SW: Treo650-1.13-ROW Hardware says A ... not sure what that means ....

the phone itself seems to be working ok .... i am sure that i get less resets etc with the recent gsm update ... the only apps that i have on the treo (other than what it comes with ) ... are :

Adobe Reader, Aeroplayer, Agendus Pro, Butler, ClockPop5, Crash, DataViz Tech Tool , DTG (on the card) , ereader, icon mgr,pTunes, Quick Chart/ point / sheet/ Word/ ( i think all on card) ... RecieveIt , TinyChart, weekUp, Zap2016 (on card)

i have a dozen or so ebooks on my 2gb card .... a handful of mp3's and some spare icon packs ... thats about it

... i will try to do the reset thing with the headset when i finish work in about 6 hours and let you know how that goes .... if necessary i will do a hard reset of the treo as well ...

anyway ...thanks very much for the ideas ... i will try it ....

can i ask ... after you have "paired" a device ... when you go back into the bluetooth apps .. do you see your headset listed as a trusted and as a nearby device ... is that what is suppost to happen? .....
  7.    #7  
    hi ... thanks for your reply redbaron .... any help is appreciated ....

the phoned is FW: 01.28, SW: Treo650-1.13-ROW Hardware says A ... not sure what that means ....

the phone itself seems to be working ok .... i am sure that i get less resets etc with the recent gsm update ... the only apps that i have on the treo (other than what it comes with ) ... are :

Adobe Reader, Aeroplayer, Agendus Pro, Butler, ClockPop5, Crash, DataViz Tech Tool , DTG (on the card) , ereader, icon mgr,pTunes, Quick Chart/ point / sheet/ Word/ ( i think all on card) ... RecieveIt , TinyChart, weekUp, Zap2016 (on card)

i have a dozen or so ebooks on my 2gb card .... a handful of mp3's and some spare icon packs ... thats about it

... i will try to do the reset thing with the headset when i finish work in about 6 hours and let you know how that goes .... if necessary i will do a hard reset of the treo as well ...

anyway ...thanks very much for the ideas ... i will try it ....

can i ask ... after you have "paired" a device ... when you go back into the bluetooth apps .. do you see your headset listed as a trusted and as a nearby device ... is that what is suppost to happen? .....
    Quote Originally Posted by aussietanker
    Yes, it appears in both.

I might suggest disabling butler, and see if it works better. After you disable butler, do a soft reset again, and then pair the BT.

Prior to doing the reset of the Treo Headset, delete the pair'ing in the 650. Then after the reset do a soft reset, with butler disabled...and see if it is any better.
  9.    #9  
    mmm ... sorry to take so long to reply redbaron ...

i have had a busy work schedule the last few days ... i have greatly appreciated your help and response ...

i tried your suggestions (disabled butler etc) ... and for the very first time was able to make one outgoing call with the headset immediately after re-pairing the treo and the h'set ... but again nothing after that ... it just seems that the treo can't "find" the bluetooth device(s) once the initial pairing is over ... and even tho they are fully charged and right alongside of one another ...

i have done a hard reset on the treo and deleted all appps other than those that are factory installed ...... still the same problem as i initially described, so it can't be due to any conflicts in software ....

again... the h'set m'function button will switch the treo on ...in fact i have just noticed that a few seconds after i press the m'function button that the small b'tooth icon on the treo changes colour ... it seems to "reverse" colours ... so it seems that something is happening btwn them ... when i touch that icon to go to the bt page it shows bt as on ..and discoverable ...but once i go into the "hands free " setup page nothing shows up as a "nearby device " or as a "trusted device " ... again, it does show up as a "known device " ...but can't connect to it ... i just get a message saying "setup was unsuccessful and to try again making sure both devices are within range and connectable" ....

i feel as if i am running out of options ... i don't think its a h'set problem because i get the same thing with two different h'sets .. i don't think its a volume problem cause they can't even find one another ...

any other ideas ..... or is it time to return the phone to the vendor ?

what options do i have left now ......
    Does the Bluetooth emblem, in the upper right corner, go from blue to clear, then from clear to the headphone symbol? I notice this when I make a call, or have one come in.

And in your bluetooth settings, is discoverable set to "yes". Every so often mine goes back to "no" and my headset won't work untill I switch it again.
    Somebody....anybody........................Don't let Dr. Doom spill his Kool-Aid on his brand new "perrywinkle" sweater vest!!!
  11.    #11  
    thanks for your reply BUJ ....

yes and no .... usually (but not always) the BT emblem changes colour when a call comes in (see prev message a few back) ... so i guess that something is happening btwn the headset and the treo ... but i'm still no closer to getting it working after a week or two of trying ... i will however check it again and see if it changes only occassionally or most times .. and let you know ....i am just recharging evertything again at the moment ...

i do have it set to discoverable ....

any other ideas ...

please .....
    Last edited by aussietanker; 08/03/2005 at 07:21 AM.
  12.    #12  
    Sorry to bother everyone ... but i'm back ......

Just recieved my "new" refurb from palm ( very prompt, i sent my "old" faulty one off Tues am by registered mail ... my "new" one arrived back thursday am ... looks and seems as good as new ... and it does have a different serial # so i suppose that they did in fact change it )

I also noticed that it reads F'ware: 01.28 & S'ware: treo650-1.13-ROW right out of the box ... Hardware is A ... so it has the latest unlocked GSM update ...

Problem is .... I am having EXACTLY the same BT problems i had with the old one ... the BT just doesn't work !

Again ... i have NO s'ware on the phone other than what is on the treo when it comes straight out of the box ...... i can successfully pair both the two headsets that i have ( palmone headset and sony erricson headset) with my wifes nokia ....... but neither of them will pair with the treo ....

again to summarize ... the BT headset will "wake up " the treo .... and the first time that i pair the two i can make an outgoing call on the headset immediately after pairing the two ... ( volume seems ok ) ... but it will not pick up or recognise in any way an incoming call .....

but once i have switched off the phone after this initial pairing it will neither make or recieve any calls via BT ......

when i go into the BT setup pages it will not "see" the headeset as a trusted device nor as a nearby device ..... it shows the heasdset in the all known devices list ,... but can't connect to it ... Says unable to connect to treo headset... when i click try again it gives the page that setup was unsuccessful ... make sure both devices are within range and connectable

this is almost unbelievable ... could this be a problem in the gsm upgrade firmware .... how could this happen twice, on a supposedly "new/refurbished" phone ... i have looked very carefully at the instructions for pairing on both this site and the official palm website ... i am reasonably certain that i am doing it all correctly ....

... a few days ago i went by the local phone shop ... they have dozens of different phones with MP3 ... BT ... lots of wonderful features ...etc .... this BT is now so basic ... in fact most of the phones on display seemed to have BT ....and it should NOT be this hard to get a simple thing like BT working .... palm needs to get this right or they are well and truelly going to lose the race

...i am a loyal palm supporter since my first PalmV years ago ... but i am just about had it with this BT rubbish .... THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE PATHETIC JOKE ON PALMS PART ... they need get this BT issue working a lot better than what it is .......

sorry bout the rant ...... its just very frustrating to have a great phone such as the treo that offers so much ... but frankly doesn't deliver ... especially aftr spending so much on it ! ...

anyway ... my question is ... any other ideas to get this working ... or do i just ring support and exchange yet again ..?

please ... any help is appreciated ...
    tia
  13.    #13  
    any ideas or suggestions anybody... somebody ?
  14.    #14  
    mmm .... nobody can offer any other suggestions on this ?????
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    i am actually having the same problem, having my brand new treo 650 finding and pairing to 2 yes that is correct 2 different BT headsets. I have done the reset of both the treo and the headsets. Please help !!!!
  16.    #16  
    hi .... i am sure that i am not the only one that is having this problem ... did you get it sorted so that its working now? ...

it would be useful if you could please post more details of your carrier, firmware version , updates done etc as that can often help to pinpoint the actual origin of the problem or issue

regards