1.    #1  
    I use Keycaps650 (doomsey's version) in the "press repeatedly to cycle through lowercase->uppercase->option".

Is is possible to modify the program so that the cycle continues (back to lowercase and so on) as long as the key gets pressed within the timeslice.

Often one presses the button one too many times and realizes that the typed character has moved on (eg 1 instead of E). It would be nice if 2 more presses would get me the E again.

Same could be done with the people who switch letters by holding down key.

Whatddya think?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    it's not a bad idea, but it's not going to be in the next version.

here's my list:
    * 600 and 650 autosensing (1 prc for both)
    * 5-way support in the setup form
    * Fix about page and version info
    * Explicit control for repeat rate of non-alphabetic keys
    * Default to 'disable in phone'
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for considering it ... I'm glad that the application is getting enhanced ..
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    Check out TreoKeyHack too... it does the same thing, and more.

http://mytreo.net/downloads/details-...ml?TreoKeyHack

Cheers,
    Jacob H.
  5.    #5  
    I'm slightly put-off by the nomenclature: TreoKeyHACK, YetAnotherHACKManager ...

Are these just like any other software? or do these "hacks" get their hooks into the OS in some non-standard manner?

I'd sacrifice anything for stability ....
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Used to be that 'hacks' used supported mechanisms to replace system calls with user code. With the switch to ARM and PalmOS 5 those mechanisms are replaced by a mechanism called 'notifications.' Notifications cover much of - but not all of - what could be done previously with 'HACKs.' One of the most common things that was patched was the event queue, and 'hede' is the internal name for the notification that replaced this system call patch.

igor_n came up with a way to hook system calls using a mechanism much like the one that was in pre-5.0 versions of PalmOS, and incorporated it into YAHM. This allows patching of system calls other than the ones that PalmSource created notifications for. However, it uses unsupported mechanisms to do this.

This doesn't mean that YAHM is unstable or doesn't work. (It might be, but simply using unsupported interfaces doesn't make it so.) What it DOES mean, however, is that one day Palm/PalmSource might release an update to the OS that breaks YAHM and all the patches that run under it. In fact, they've promised to do so; PalmSource employees have mentioned YAHM explicitly on developer forums, stating that the mechanisms it uses will not work in PalmOS 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    I'm slightly put-off by the nomenclature: TreoKeyHACK, YetAnotherHACKManager ...

Are these just like any other software? or do these "hacks" get their hooks into the OS in some non-standard manner?

I'd sacrifice anything for stability ....

'Yet Another...' has been around for awhile, started in the unix/linux world and is now in the palm world too. it comes from being open source (free) and since there are so many open source programs we have 'yet another' open source program.

"...and now you know the REST of the story"