Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
    Should I call Palm for a replacement? My phone was purchased from Sprint in February of this year and I really DREAD having to talk to Sprint about a replacement. I stopped in today and talked (briefly) to a sales gal about the memory corruption problem and she just asked me if I had any "3rd party software" on it. I said of course I do. Well that's your problem she said. *sigh* They are clueless.
    Just to add to this, I got my cingy 650 when they first came out, had no crashes for months, then crashed/reset alot, over and over again for a week, then for months fine again. Recently for weeks I have had crash/reset problems on and off, at a ridiculous rate, from 3 crashes a day, to over 20. MMNotify ranging in numbers like 3732. Got around to doing the 1.15 update, didnt fix it. Just installed the new update 1.17-CNG, have'nt had a crash in 24 hours and I swear the phone all around is much faster especially the interface nav.

p.s. before the update it still crashed after a hard reset so it wasnt third party software conflicts I was having.
    Well i had an unlocked one and such so i called Palm...but when i was on tech support with them, they had me to do a hard reset and see if it caused it again....needless to say i said it did while i was on the phone, even though it didnt but i would have if i started to add software...so basically you are telling a small fib...i mean you know your unit better they do and so if you know it is a problem and well if people here cannot solve it, it is truly a problem

sprintpcs is an option i believe when you call tech support so its all cool...just make sure you call from a landline (1), and 2 be ready to get a very dirty dirty line...as in two cases I was in the phillipines and the other time of course back in India...(it helps to make small talk to lighten the mood of the convo with tech support)
    [QUOTE=MacUser]I've posted and Marc from Chatter has informed me that this is a known issue that happens sometimes on GSM units. He recommends I call Tech Support, but I'm just happy to have a Treo that doesn't reset every 5 minutes.

Hi Guys....very interesting thread...I just had my Treo 600 replaced (foc) with a brand new 650 under warranty...they just don't have any more 600's - what a shame...

Anyway...I have been experiencing something like what you describe - but so far, it only seems to happen when the phone is idle. I'll have the radio on and the phone just sitting on my desk...the green light indicating wireless service flashes as expected...but when I try to turn the phone on to use it, I get nothing...the green light continues to flash - if I plug the phone into the USB charger - nothing - no acknowledgement...it has happened while connected to the charger too...I take the phone off - I get no beep acknowledging the change in status and the phone does not turn on. This seems to happen only after 1+ hours sitting idle - I even tried to call my phone when it's in this state and the phone does not react - no ringing, nothing.

In each of these circumstances, I do a soft reset and everything seems to work well again. I have hard reset and carefully re-installed my apps but to no avail. The phone has not "crashed" in the middle of me doing anything with it or done an actual reset...it simply won't turn on sometimes.

Ooops, I checked the *#377 stuff and get a single message about a crash while using VoiceCall last night - I remember that one so I guess it has "crashed" once.

Does this sound like your problems or something else you learned folks might of heard about. My phone comes form Rogers - GSM - 01.28 - 1.13-ROW - Hardware A.

I appreciate any assistance youi can offer.
    Hi Again Everyone: I called Roger's Wireless this afternoon, explained the problem - they are sending out another new unit for me...hopefully that licks the problem...geeze, after drooling over getting a 650 for months, I'll have had two brand new 650's in my hands in a matter of 3 days! Wish me luck with the latest one.
    Let me join the discussion.

This is my first Palm, first PDA and it has been running smoothly since May, even with Verichat which I bought in August.

I have also been trying various applications and one of them triggered the MMNotify resets. Unfortunately Palm is not in South Africa, so it will take AGES to get a replacement (if my provider acknowledges the problem).

Has anyone noticed that it seems only to occur when the phone is unplugged?

I'm going to try dropping back from 2.86b to 2.84b to see the impact.
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBSA
    Has anyone noticed that it seems only to occur when the phone is unplugged?
    Mine would happen whenever the phone was idle - didn't matter if it was plugged in or not. If I was actively downloading or streaming, it wouldn't crash. In 'standby' it would crash regulary if I had an app running that randomly accessed the network like Chatter or VeriChat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Mine would happen whenever the phone was idle - didn't matter if it was plugged in or not. If I was actively downloading or streaming, it wouldn't crash.
    Yep, I noticed this, too.

Sprint Pre & Motorola H300 BT headset

Dead devices: Palm Pro; Palm III; Treo 600, 650, 700p, 755p; Centro
    Yes, I finally updated my tagline!
    Mine would do it unplugged or plugged. Connected to the network or not. Although actively streaming I wouldn't crash.

I'm much happier with my replacement Treo. No more buggieness.
    Cingular GSM Treo 650, Apple PowerBook G4, iQue 3600, iPod Photo 60GB
    PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Palm M505 > Garmin iQue 3600 > Treo 650

Seek first to understand, then to be Understood
    in waiting for my new to come, i cut a business card the shape of my SIM card and placed it under the SIM. it has only rebooted once in 5 hours.

Treo 650 SIM Tray Fix
    Some Treo 650 radios are powering off when the device is bumped or tapped. One
    possible cause of this problem is the SIM tray for the GSM Treo 650 smart phone is not
    seating the SIM card firmly to the unit. In the past, one workaround solution was to stick a piece a paper between the SIM card and SIM tray to provide more pressure on the SIM card so it would not loose contact with the phone. For customers who report this issue, Palm has now fixed the problem with a new designed SIM tray for the GSM Treo 650 which offers better contact between the SIM card and the Treo 650 device.
    Not all trays need to be replaced. Only a small percentage of the Treo 650s will show
    these symptoms and need to have the Tray swapped out. Follow the test below to
    determine if a new SIM tray will resolve this issue.
    SIM Tray test
    1) Go to the phone application and verify that the phone radio is turned on
    2) Stand the Treo vertically on a hard surface, a table or desk, antenna pointing up
    3) Let the Treo fall onto itís back with the LCD turned on
    If the Cingular Goodbye logo shows up and the phone powers off then the Treo needs a replacement SIM tray. If the Radio does not power off when dropped the SIM tray is
    seated properly, and no replacement Tray is required.
    To see if your SIM tray needs to be replaced remove the SIM tray from the Treo 650,
    remove the SIM card from the tray and see if there is a raised line on the Tray. The New Trays can be identified by the raised line.
    To obtain a new SIM tray
    If you've determined that the old-style SIM tray is causing your smartphone's radio to turn
    off unexpectedly, please contact Palm's SIM tray hotline at 866-677-7256, and select
    Option #2. We will mail you a new-style SIM tray to replace your old one.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY
    Mine would happen whenever the phone was idle - didn't matter if it was plugged in or not. If I was actively downloading or streaming, it wouldn't crash.
    I am running Profiles that keeps the screen on when plugged in, however, even when I force the screen off it is still only crashing when there is no power cord plugged in. Anything, even pressing the up or down rocker, that stops it going into the 'idle' state prevents the reset.

Even with the phone off, I have seen it go into a reset loop every few minutes. (It has just reset again - 3 times! - as I write...... )

This would imply that it is not always linked to activity on the connection - although I must admit, it is clearly linked to activity when Verichat IS running and it goes into the idle state.

If you guys struggle in the US with explaining the problem and getting a replacement, I wonder how long it will take me...
    Quote Originally Posted by IanBSA
    If you guys struggle in the US with explaining the problem and getting a replacement, I wonder how long it will take me...
    Now that I think about it, I was on vacation out of the country and had the phone off 100% of the time (no service where I was). I still had resets with the errors in this thread. I would just tell them that you've done a hard reset, have no 3rd party apps installed, and the phone still resets when not plugged in. Under those conditions, I'm sure you'll be able to get a replacement.

I tried to live with it for a while because I didn't want to hassle with custome service. In the end, I'm glad I bit the bullet because it wasn't as bad as I had feared. Good luck with getting yours repaired.
    It seems i'm having the same mmnotify issue. My phone is no longer under warranty, if i have sprint insurance will i be able to replace it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Amuka
    It seems i'm having the same mmnotify issue. My phone is no longer under warranty, if i have sprint insurance will i be able to replace it?
    That's how I did mine but to this point, I haven't been charged the deductible.
    I have used a Treo 650 since July (Sprint PCS). After approx 3 weeks my Versamail starting crashing and eventually shuts phone down as soon as I touch the Versamail icon. I moved to Eudora for email purposes. My company has now moved to Outlook Exchange and I need to use Versamail for synching purposes....any clues on how I can solve my Versamail problems? or alternative solution to synch with Outlook exchange?
    A reset was caused on 12/19/05 at 8:45 am while running "Phone":
    MemoryMgr.c, Line:2659, Chunk over-locked

blah, I called Palm, they'll send me a refurb for $25, or I can send them mine and they'll refurb it for free... neither option seems too applealing..

I asked for a supervisor, they were very difficult to understand, and to even hear as the VOIP service they were using to get my call to India (I would imagine) was being flaky.. I hung up on her.. Has anyone had any luck getting these advance-replaced at no charge??

I got mine originally through Vienna Channels after the PalmONE Roadshow announcing the 650..

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by viper0775
    blah, I called Palm, they'll send me a refurb for $25, or I can send them mine and they'll refurb it for free... neither option seems too applealing..

I got mine originally through Vienna Channels after the PalmONE Roadshow announcing the 650..!
    If you have had yours for almost a year, I don't think they give you another option. I went to the stores and they refurbed mine for free. I hoped for a new one but wasn't elidgeable since mine was a year old. My refurb has been just fine though.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567