Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    I'm running Chatter v1.0.3.1 [66:18]...maybe this doesn't play nice with the 1.28 firmware I'm running (although, I upgraded the firmware 1.5 mos. before these issues started occurring).
    I have the exact same Chatter version and Firmware.

Just got a PM from Marc and he thinks it's the memory and I should hard reset and NOT restore. Reinstall apps and then sync data.

Hmmm....I guess that's an option.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Hey guys,

You can find my most recent post on this topic in the CDMA section under "You'll never believe...etc etc etc". Bottom line, I was getting the MemoryMgr.c 2679 error message, almost identical to MacUser (oh, I also am a Mac User and was a Chatter user...coincidence?). I examined EVERY option about this being a software problem -- and like you, I was using ChatterMail, which I loved. However, I did SEVERAL hard resets -- even a hard reset PLUS a ##786# thing, which removes even your phone number from your phone, sort of a "Super Hard Reset." It ended up being a hardware problem: even with zero new software on my T650, it was resetting itself every few minutes -- every couple of hours at the least.

Actually, as I think about it, I'm guessing that the MemoryMgr.c 2679 error message could potentially be either a software or hardware problem, although in my case, it was definitely a hardware (or at least factory-installed software) problem. IF you think about it, the msg is basically telling you that there's a RAM problem (I think). That could be caused by either software or hardware. In my case, I don't see how it WASN'T the hardware, or at least factory installed hardware, since a hard reset didn't take care of the problem. I'm no expert here, but I'd try a hard reset and see what happens. Sucks, but at least it confirmed for me that it was a problem that required replacing the phone (and I've got a new one in my hands as I type).

Good luck. The MemoryMgr.c 2679 error message is a frustrating one and as far as I can tell, nobody has quite figured out what it's all about or how to solve it. But a VERY interesting thing is that if you look at the posts on here, it seems to be a fairly recent issue that is all of a sudden coming up with increasing frequency...
    ddahorton, thanks for posting and letting us know how you resolved it.

I'm really hoping it's not a hardware issue...but, I'm going to try hard resetting and see if that solves it. If not, I'm going to call Palm and get it replaced - I don't have time to sit here and troubleshoot their POS product for hours on end (like I've done in the past).

Speaking of replacements, be careful...back in March, I called them to get my phone replaced b/c of GPRS connection issues and they confirmed that they would replace it but I NEVER got the replacement unit. I never followed up with them b/c the issue went away on it's own.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Ok, I did a hard reset and waited for about an hour before installing any apps. During that hour, I had one crash (when I attempted to view my bookmarks in Blazer): a "2659, Chunk overlocked" error while running "Web." I also go this the first time I clicked on "Contacts" in the Phone app. The only diff was "Phone" was the culprit instead of Web. So, something is still not 100% right but at least I haven't gotten the MMNotify error message...yet.

After the first hour, I've installed:
    1. SplashID
    2. Directory Assistant
    3. Chatter v1.1 (which I just installed before this post...we'll see if Chatter makes it worse)

At the end of the day, I think I'm going to have to call Palm and get them to replace this thing...I'm starting to get the feeling that my memory has gotten corrupt. I'll give it until the end of this weekend to see if things get worse...
    Hey Koolio, happy to help, especially as I had the identical issue. Frustrating tho it is, I found I had a little bit more cred with tech support when I waited a few hours, and let it have at least three or four resets, after the hard reset and before installing any new apps. But my situation was identical: after a hard reset, I'd get the 2659 or 2679 Chunk overlocked error.

Yeah, it really isn't a VersaMail or MMNotify issue. I got those programs referenced in the ##377# message sometimes, but sometimes it was "Phone", sometimes it was "Applications"...heck, four or five times it was just an "Unknown Program." That's why I concluded that while a program -- VersaMail, for example -- might be running during the crash, it wasn't really the problem; rather, there was some sort of memory program in the RAM that was bigger than just a program. Heck, RAM is, in the end, a physical thing -- it exists in a physical sense on a chip -- and can get corrupted. But yeah, definitely keep track of crashes after a hard reset.

Keep me posted...
    Umm..how long of a warranty do we have? I got mine in February. Please don't tell me I'm screwed. I was planning on doing the hard reset this evening when things quieted down.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ddahorton
    Hey Koolio, happy to help, especially as I had the identical issue. Frustrating tho it is, I found I had a little bit more cred with tech support when I waited a few hours, and let it have at least three or four resets, after the hard reset and before installing any new apps. But my situation was identical: after a hard reset, I'd get the 2659 or 2679 Chunk overlocked error.

Yeah, it really isn't a VersaMail or MMNotify issue. I got those programs referenced in the ##377# message sometimes, but sometimes it was "Phone", sometimes it was "Applications"...heck, four or five times it was just an "Unknown Program." That's why I concluded that while a program -- VersaMail, for example -- might be running during the crash, it wasn't really the problem; rather, there was some sort of memory program in the RAM that was bigger than just a program. Heck, RAM is, in the end, a physical thing -- it exists in a physical sense on a chip -- and can get corrupted. But yeah, definitely keep track of crashes after a hard reset.

Keep me posted...
    Yeah, I'm getting the same thing - sometimes it's "Phone", other times, "Applications" and "Unknown Program."

So, did these just go away after you did 3 or 4 hard resets? Or, was your problem bad RAM and you had your Treo replaced? (sorry, you might have stated that you had your Treo replaced but I didn't remember...). Thanks!
    Okay, I hard reset and no restarts yet. I'm messing around with Blazer to try to see if the GPRS will give me a crash, but not yet.

Any idea how long we have to exchange the phone if it's the hardware??

Also, do I reformat my SD card? Can I do it from the Treo or do I need to do it with my computer?

TY
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Oh, did you guys update your firmware before reinstalling? Or not at all? Could that be a cause?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Ah, can't tell you on the warranty, think it's a year but can't say that's the case for every situation. To answer Koolio's question -- yes, I just got a new Treo 650 in my hands as a replacement. My situation was NOT resolved through hard resets -- about four of them. I worked through this with tech support for hours on end and they finally agreed it was a hardware problem in the RAM. I do think, based on my limited knowledge of computers, that it is conceivable that these sort of error messages are software related in some limited cases, but in my case it was DEFINITELY a corrupted RAM in the hardware or something...and moreover, if you do a TreoCentral search (or a websearch, for that matter) for "chunk overlocked" and MemoryMgr.c, you won't find that anyone has been able to resolve this issue.

Nope. Firmware wasn't relevant. I'd had the most recent version for months before the problem emerged.

Don't know about the SD card -- I just kept mine as is.

One thing I noticed with the error -- if my phone wasn't connected to PCS Vision, it didn't seem to happen as much. Just a thought.
    I did a hard reset, but had a problem with Missing Sync installing a lot of info it had backed up. I'm not sure if that's going to help my situation
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Yeah, frustrating though it is, what I'd do is brave it for a full 24 hours with a hard reset and NO sync'ing back. Just 24 hours. I mean, it's irritating, but I think the benefit there is that if you do that, and still get crashes/resets, there's really a pretty clear argument that it's a hardware, RAM or pre-installed software corruption.

I will tell you that since I got my new phone a few days ago, things have been fine, and I've sync'ed everything back up, except for ChatterMail.
    Yeah, frustrating though it is, what I'd do is brave it for a full 24 hours with a hard reset and NO sync'ing back. Just 24 hours. I mean, it's irritating, but I think the benefit there is that if you do that, and still get crashes/resets, there's really a pretty clear argument that it's a hardware, RAM or pre-installed software corruption.

I will tell you that since I got my new phone a few days ago, things have been fine, and I've sync'ed everything back up, except for ChatterMail.
    Well, I installed Chatter & I'm getting restarts again. It may be the network connection that's doing it. I'm going to reset again & not install anything, but use Blazer a lot. This really sucks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Okay,
    I haven't had a reset since my hard reset at 10:36AM today. I modified my Missing Sync to only sync my address book and iCals. After a couple stable hours, I installed SplashID and am still stable using my internet every 10-20 minutes to see if the GPRS has something to do with the errors.

I'm almost afraid to install Chatter which I've paid for, but what else can do push email AND not take control of the unit to check email?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Hm. Yeah, well, actually, Chatter is the only thing I haven't reinstalled. I've had a reset or two on my new Treo, but those are the standards "Fatal Exception" ones that happen when you're running a whole bunch of things at once...nothing to worry about. Well, keep track of it and good luck. If you aren't having resets that's great.
    Hm. Yeah, well, actually, Chatter is the only thing I haven't reinstalled. I've had a reset or two on my new Treo, but those are the standards "Fatal Exception" ones that happen when you're running a whole bunch of things at once...nothing to worry about. Well, keep track of it and good luck. If you aren't having resets that's great.
    What are you using for email? Push?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    Okay, I installed Chatter at 8:37pm and I had my first MMNotify of the day at 8:40 pm

Back to the hard reset and installs again </sigh>
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
    MacUser, have you downloaded the latest Chatter version (v1.1)? If not, give it a try. That's what I upgraded to after my hard reset (and, there are some nice udpates Marc has made compared to the version we were using).

For me, Chatter wasn't the cause of my 2659 memory errors/crashes - I was getting those before I installed Chatter. Today, my phone reset itself about 5-7 times. All those times were when it was either in my pocket or sitting on my desk. I'm starting to think my RAM just went bad...I'm going to try to call Palm tomorrow and see if I can get it exchanged...

At the end of the day, my hard reset did make my Treo better (at least, I'm not getting the MMNotify crashes 15+ times per day!) but it's still not rock solid like it was 2 weeks ago.
    MacUser, I'm just using Versamail now. It's fine. I liked Chatter because of the ability to check all accounts at once AND the vibrate notify (which VersaMail doesn't seem to have) but golly, I did have a lot of resets on Chatter...just excerabated the hardware problem, if that makes sense.

MacUser and Koolio, all I can tell you is that if you hard reset and you're still getting the MMNotify or MemoryMgr.c errors (I think MMNotify is a program but it's factory installed as I recall into the RAM) that you're got a hardware/RAM problem. Look, I have a Sprint PCS Treo 650 now, new, and I'm not getting more than the very rare reset. And none with that error message. I'd call into support.
    Well, I went through the whole ordeal of resetting and reinstalling much of what I need. I just set up Versamail with my .Mac account. I'm not sure if I'm really going to like it, but my last attempt at using Chatter was disasterous. How often do you have Versamail check for mail?

I guess I'll try to call Palm Tech support tomorrow and see how it goes. How long is a usual tech phone conversation to get them to realize my Treo is broken?
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Retired Treo 650
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast