Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    AIM emails provides 2GB storage, with IMAP support.

Question is: Does it support IDLE? Anyone can confirm or deny?

www.aim.com
    Yes, AOL supports IDLE.

Marc
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Yes, AOL supports IDLE.

Marc
    If so, AIM email is a whopping 2GB, whereas fastmail is only 10mb!

Even the Free AOL email service offers push? Wow, if so, with 2GB of storage, I my dump fastmail.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
  5.    #5  
    It looks like it! AND the free email client is so much more intuitive then fastmail!
    Cool. Another imap account I can sync with chatter!

Here is the link to the settings for all those interested (especially if you already use aim!)

Summary for advanced users:

Incoming IMAP email server address: imap.aim.com
    IMAP port number: 143
    Outgoing SMTP email server address: smtp.aim.com (requires authentication)
    SMTP port number: 587
    Alternate SMTP port number: 25
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Follow up: I now have gmail being forwarded to my aim account and it works great!
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I'm going to have to try this later on. Thanks you two.

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    AOL does have a BIG disadvantage when used with Chatter - it's limited to 350 messages in the inbox. This is due to the very inefficient IMAP implementation AOL is using (it doesn't support SEARCH) and a limitation in Chatter that I'll lift eventually, but is there now. So at least be aware of this. AOL is also slower to sync for the same reason.

Marc
    AOL does have a BIG disadvantage when used with Chatter - it's limited to 350 messages in the inbox. This is due to the very inefficient IMAP implementation AOL is using (it doesn't support SEARCH) and a limitation in Chatter that I'll lift eventually, but is there now. So at least be aware of this. AOL is also slower to sync for the same reason.

Marc
    Thanx for the info Marc. I personally am not that worried about the message limits, since I forward and keep the original on gmail. I never keep more than 100-150 messages in fastmail.

But until gmail supports IMAP, I'm stuck.

11.    #11  
    I use AOL email (client AOL, not AIM) and we get 1000 emails @ 15MB each in our inbox.

Unless AIM email is different, I have yet heard about the 350 limit
    It's a Chatter limit.

Marc
    I though paid AOL accounts were going to be bumped up to unlimited, but I still see the 100MB limit. WTF? Even the free AIM mail has more...

Al
    Marc...one thing I did get was a warning when I tried to send email using chatter with the aim profile. When I set up the smtp profile for aim...I wanted the return address and reply to address to be my gmail. When I did that, I got a 505 alert saying that they had to be the same.

So, to remedy it, I changed my smtp server settings to use gmail. Just thought it was odd that Aim would care whether my return and reply address were different than my aim address?

BTW-those interested in setting up aim for imap...it doesnt need SSL.

15.    #15  
    It's a Chatter limit.

Marc

Is there anyway you can lift the Chatter limit in future builds?

I LOVE my AOL email.
    Probably, but it will just make things slower (like POP with big mailboxes)...

Marc
  17.    #17  

Marc

I am unsure about previous AOL versions, but I just downloaded and installed AOL 9.0 SE. It has a "Mail Search" Feature.
    That's not the same as supporting the IMAP "SEARCH" command (which AOL doesn't do).

Marc
    Just to understand. A few questions.

1) The 350 limit is a chatter limitation only. Does this mean the old emails (email #351, #352, etc.) "fall off" from chatter, while the recent emails take their place? Or does this mean the old emails take precedence and you can no longer get new emails, and need to look for emails to erase to make room?
    2) Do emails past the 350 limit stay on the AIM server still or do the emails past 350 get bumped?
    It means that Chatter won't sync AT ALL if there are more than 350 pieces of mail in a particular folder (like inbox). This restriction is Chatter-only; AOL will be fixing their servers in a few weeks, at which time the restriction will go away.

Marc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast