1.    #1  
    I get the following error message when trying to SEND mail via VersaMail:

"556 CLIENT AUNTHENTICATION REQUIRED.
    USE ESMTP EHLO AND AUTH."

I have no idea what that means, and so I have no idea how to solve this problem.

Incidentally, this is on a Cing GSM with new update (same message as before update), linked to an AOL account (which otherwise seems to receive mail ok).

Yes, I know... I'm in the process of ditching AOL (I'll be using Comcast soon) and probably VersaMail too (not sure which program I should use just yet).

Can you help?! Thanks!

-Kirk
    Did you check your pop3 and smtp port settings? I think the default smtp is 25, but for aol it should be 143. The pop3, by the way, should be 143.

Hope this helps.
    If you're using Cingular, you can use their SMTP server instead of AOHell's. Just set your outgoing (SMTP) server to cwmx.com, and turn off SMTP authentication and SSL.
    Palm Pilot Personal -> Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Visor Prism -> Clie TJ37 -> Treo 650 -> GSM Centro
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I have been getting the "error 550" message. It started after I followed the prescribed solution for the "VersaMail reboot loop". I hoped the update to VM 3.0 would fix it. It didn't. I installed Chattermail an hour after the Cingular update. So far I love it. I can't believe I put up with VM's problems and total lack of support for so long. I have to think that ANYTHING is better than VersaMail.
    Former long term user of the Treo line, then on to the HTC 8125/8525. Now I have graduated to the iPhone. For the first time since getting my first Treo 600, I am not constantly scanning the web looking for a better converged device.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies, folks! Last night I was able to get to the point where I could SEND email, but then not receive it. A little more tweaking, and I should be there.

Thanks!

-Kirk